Did Nintendo just strengthen anti-piracy checks on their latest games? Discuss

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    download.jpg

Owners of the Sky3DS flashcart for Nintendo 3DS are starting to sweat because two of the latest 3DS games cannot be played; this is supposedly caused by an upgrade of the anti-piracy checks on the console. The two games are:
    • Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer (JP)
    • Fire Emblem If (JP)
    The Sky3DS card itself isn't "banned", you can still play other games, but these two won't launch at all. Sadly it seems the card cannot be fully upgraded to bypass these checks. It is assumed that future releases will also bear these upgraded AP checks; we will know when more games are released.

Furthermore, users of the custom firmware on the "old" Nintendo 3DS are reportedly unable to play Animal Crossing (while Fire Emblem functions normally). We will report any additional information on the subject as soon as we can.

:arrow: Source: discussion thread

Ra1d, Margen67, NakedFaerie and 7 others like this.

2. NeoSlyde

NeoSlyde GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 6, 2015
    Macau
    Morocco
    Noooooooooo!!

3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Animal Crossing does not run because the source made a bad dump once someone gets there hands on the cart it will run just fine, also the CIA version works well on Gateway with a 9.5 Emunand if you have a console that matches the region of the ROM/CIA.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks, Aug 8, 2015
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not that the 3ds game library interests me but I wonder if we will see cheap sky3ds carts like the times that DVD flashed 360s were banned.

Anyway hope the sky3ds folks can get behind a custom firmware or something launched from a working game.

5. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    noted, thanks

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    @WulfyStylez Can elaborate more on why the dump is bad and as to why it does not run.

7. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    This is incorrect. The dump is broken because two bits are unset to disable antipiracy for Gateway users. Set 0x1FE to 0x03 to fix the dump, that's it (you can even RSA-verify the NCSD and all other headers fine afterward.) This game will never work with Sky3DS carts due to new hardware AP, as mentioned before.

Animal Crossing also won't run if you're out-of-region. Same situation here as with Majora's Mask and a few other Japanese versions of international titles. If CFW ever becomes region-free (not just removing icon flag checks for piracy), this will automatically fix itself in the future.

ravihpa, Xenon Hacks and oji like this.
  8. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Sky3DS purple button coming soon! NEW AP BYPASS!

Also, animal crossing was released years ago......

Margen67 likes this.
  9. yyjukjun

yyjukjun Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2008
    United States
    Isn't the admin talking about Fire Emblem If and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer??

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    Yes - this is how to intelligently discuss this issue: Thread title poses a discussion, first post states known facts.
    Can that inflamatory "PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3ds..." thread be moved/closed/killed with fire please?

11. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    thanks, that's exactly what I tried to do. :P
    reading up those huge threads took a while and I don't know if I missed something... it's a mess

Hero-Link likes this.
  12. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    So, I'm assuming Gateway is unaffected? I've not heard anyone mention otherwise.

13. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    The previous thread and this one will come to the same conclusion. The only difference is that this one is more organized.

Last edited by guitarheroknight, Aug 8, 2015
    Xenon Hacks likes this.
  14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    My understanding is that the games still won't work straight away, but will work fine if patched as long as you are using a minimum of 9.5 EmuNAND.

The problem with Sky3DS is that it cannot run modified roms - only unmodified roms, so the patched roms won't work.

15. Phil5004

Phil5004 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 6, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Will be possible to install a CIA of a own dumped ROM to install on a 3ds (And will it be possible to install it on 9.9.0?)

16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    No

17. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    This makes me think perhaps Sky3DS can't be blocked via software. I mean else why would they put the AP checks in ROMs instead of the actual system itself? Or maybe it will be included in a future system update?

18. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The card can be blocked completely this was a jab at both cards but it failed to work on gateway (for the most part).

Margen67 likes this.
  19. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    In a year or two everyone will be able to play whatever 3DS game they want but also because by then they've perfected it and Nintendo moved to their next underpowered handheld. :P

Anyway, just give the hackers sometime to crack it.

Margen67, Pablitox and HaloEffect17 like this.
  20. funnystory

funnystory Banned

Banned
    Sep 20, 2008
    United States
    I dont own a sky3ds but they should really compensate their customers over this, I would feel scammed If my card couldn't load the games.Specially since the sky3ds sells for more than a used 2Ds.