Did I softbrick?..

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 18, 2016.

1. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    I'm probably an idiot, but I think softbricked my Vita and don't even know why.
    What I did was (since I wanted to use the PKG installer):
    1) Put the Vita into IDU mode (using the HENkaku homebrew).
    2) Edit the app.db file, like in this guide.
    3) Reboot the Vita. Nothing different. Retried several times.
    4) Noticed that the PKG Installer had the value "12" in "page ID" and "1" in "pos", so I thought it would appear if I added enough pages to the home menu.
    5) Created 3 or so new pages, moving an icon to the bottom left of each.
    6) Rebooted my Vita. And... The PS Logo appeared, the epilepsy warning too, but the little spinning bubbles or whatever froze almost immediatly and the system shut down. I tried to reboot several times, same result.
    Thinking it was a database problem, I rebooted into Safe Mode, rebuilt the database, but it didn't change anything... Except that now, everytime I power the system on, it rebuilds the database.

Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: The console boots normally if I start it without the memory card, if that can help identify my problem.
    EDIT(2): Problem fixed, see below.

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 18, 2016
  2. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    You'll need to boot it with the memory card in so you can use HENkaku.

3. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    That's what I thought, but I can't... When I boot with my memory card installed, it just rebuilds the database normally, turns off... And rebuilds the database again when I start it up again...

4. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009
    Maybe you should restore your system. It'll delete your activation though.

5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2014
    Norway
    Hmm, so you didn't set a valid pageid and pos thus it tries to rebuild the database, but since the Vita only has 10 pages, it didn't work and it didn't know how to read the app.db.

Seems like a reformat of the memory card should work and remember to check every step before messing with the app.db.
    When you remove the memory card, the system don't read from app.db since it's on the memory card.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  6. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Okay, so for some reason restarting the system without memory card and putting back again fixed it. It scared me enough, so I just switched back to retail mode using the idu HENkaku app.
    For some reason though, my apps' background was grey. Rebuilding the database fixed that.
    Although, I'm kinda surprised. Why did this happen exactly? I searched a little, and apparently no one ever had this kind of problem bricked while just editing app.db. Does anyone know if it's because I tried to add the package installer, because I was in IDU mode, or both?

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 18, 2016
    Shadowfied likes this.
  7. Cinnamon

Cinnamon GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2014
    Norway
    Probably not, most likely due to setting the bubble out of the Vita's pageid limit of 10. Before you tried to add 3 more pages, the Vita ignored all pages after the last valid one, but since you most likely added the 10th during that time, it tried to look for page 11, which doesn't exist.

EDIT: The grey background is a caching error. Happens sometimes when tinkering with undubs for me.

Last edited by Cinnamon, Aug 18, 2016
    TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  8. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Oh, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Shadowfied likes this.