Did I just permanently brick my wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gloriousconnor, Sep 6, 2009.

Sep 6, 2009
  1. gloriousconnor
    OP

Newcomer gloriousconnor Advanced Member

United States
    My wii kept freezing so i thought it may have been a bad wad i had installed. So I uninstalled ios60BF and now nothing will work. I can't even load preloader. Did I just screw myself over or what?

2. tanis698

Member tanis698 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    were u on 4.0 or 4.1 ? if so you just uninstalled ur system menu.. call up nintendo if u didn't have bootmii as boot2 with a nand backup.

3. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Never unistall an IOS, especially the one the system menu runs off of (IOS60 for systemmenu 4.0 and 4.1)

So yes you are screwed unless you have bootmii or a nand backup.

4. rodreyes

Newcomer rodreyes Member

Philippines
    from nabsters post......

I'll write more on this a bit later, but for now I'll throw in a little skit about a way FAR too many people seem to be bricking their Wii's nowadays.

Noob: I'm on 4.1 and just installed some sort of IOS60something.wad and it said my system menu was corrupt when I booted my system menu, so should I load up preloader and uninstall that wad with Wa*SLAPS Noob upside the head with a large trout*

Nabster: NO! Uninstalling something involving IOS60 while being on 4.0/4.1 will brick your Wii BEYOND RECOVERY. DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. Your system menu on 4.0/4.1 runs off of IOS60. Preloader runs off of IOS60, guess what happens when you remove IOS60...mmhmm NOTHING works anymore. So DO NOT UNINSTALL/DELETE IOS30,IOS50,IOS60, OR ANY SYSTEM MENU WAD'S.

5. gloriousconnor
    OP

United States
    Damn.... So there's nothing I can do? Can't send it back to Nintendo? Oh crap my warranty's up already

6. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You are hosed. Give it to Nintendo and have them repair it.

Wii tip of the day.... NEVER uninstall any IOS from your system. Simply overwrite the IOS with a newer version with DOP IOS.

7. gloriousconnor
    OP

United States
    Ugh.... This sucks. Will they be able to tell I was hacking? Poorly, that is?

8. KennyLeam

Newcomer KennyLeam Member

United States
    Yes, and if you live in the US they're going to send t he FBI against you for violating the DMCA.

(Kidding about the second part but its pretty obvious when you send it in what you did. They'll chuckle, bill you extra for sucking, then send it back)

9. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
  10. Timmy5000

Newcomer Timmy5000 Advanced Member

United States
    No Bootmii
    No Preloader
    No Nand Back up

[​IMG]

11. EtherealX

Member EtherealX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When you send a Wii into Ninty, they don't even go directly to Nintendo. They are routed to a 3rd party repair company that usually justs quickly sees if they can flash it with obvious tools that you would find right here, if not, you normally get a completely different, used Wii. I repair game consoles, and have sent numerous Wii's into Ninty because of retarded owners doing shit they shouldn't. Not once have I ever been questioned or received any notification whatsoever about the content of the Wii.

You might even get lucky, I've got quite a few different Wiis returned that were older and capable of BootMii on boot2.

12. gloriousconnor
    OP

United States
    Would I be able to use a Savemii since I didn't COMPLETELY uninstall my wii menu? Or did I? [​IMG]

13. SvtLight

Newcomer SvtLight Member

United States
    Well, my noob ass did something similar. I had a Lu39 and thought I missed something. So for some reason I thought it was a good idea to use dop ios and change ios60 to use 249.. and that screwed it up royally

I could only load the system menu by loading preloader (which still loaded) and changing the ios setting to 249. After that I cant do anything but look at a frozen system menu.. lol

I was told I could use savemii or the savemiifrii method but I would need a disc with an update greater than my system menu of 4.1 [​IMG] but I doubt that is going to work..

14. gloriousconnor
    OP

United States
    @ EtherealX: Mine is a launch day wii, I'd rather not risk losing it unless it's absolutely necessary that I send it in.

15. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If you didn't install bootmii to boot2 the first day it came out like any launch day Wii owner should have (or at any point in time at least), then it pretty much is absolutely necessary you send it in. IOS60 is what the system menu runs off of so that will not work at all anymore, even if you had preloader, it would have killed that as well. Boot2 bootmii is the only thing that could have saved you so if you don't have it, send it in.

The only other POSSIBLE fix I believe you may have a slight chance of doing, is using betwiin to convert someone elses NAND with the same boot2 version as you and hopefully no important files on blocks that are bad blocks on your chip into a NAND that would work on your Wii, and then directly write it to your Wii's chip using a hardware NAND programmer like an infectus. You likely can't even do this because you would need your Wii's key's in order to convert it in the first place. So yea basically, without bootmii installed to boot2, you fucked up hardcore. Nintendo might not even be able to see anything you had on your Wii to charge you anything since your Wii is bricked so hard.

16. gloriousconnor
    OP

United States
    You know what? Fuck this wii then. I'm just gonna smash it.

17. LufianGuy

Member LufianGuy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its usually a spoken rule to never uninstall an IOS and you should research it at least before doing so.

If this was indeed a launch wii you could have installed bootmii as boot2 and been ok, but obviously you didn't care enough to research and this is the result of that.

18. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can still likely get it replaced by Nintendo for a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

19. r9delta

Banned r9delta Banned

United States
    Don't do that. Just buy another one, swap the serial stickers (quite easy) and take the broken one back to wal-mart...if they'll only replace that and not give you your money back then you have one to sell at least. Christ, don't be a fucking moron...at least anymore than what you already are.

20. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Can I has your disc drive?