Hacking Did I just permanently brick my wii?

gloriousconnor

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My wii kept freezing so i thought it may have been a bad wad i had installed. So I uninstalled ios60BF and now nothing will work. I can't even load preloader. Did I just screw myself over or what?

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
were u on 4.0 or 4.1 ? if so you just uninstalled ur system menu.. call up nintendo if u didn't have bootmii as boot2 with a nand backup.

rodreyes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
from nabsters post......

I'll write more on this a bit later, but for now I'll throw in a little skit about a way FAR too many people seem to be bricking their Wii's nowadays.

Noob: I'm on 4.1 and just installed some sort of IOS60something.wad and it said my system menu was corrupt when I booted my system menu, so should I load up preloader and uninstall that wad with Wa*SLAPS Noob upside the head with a large trout*

Nabster: NO! Uninstalling something involving IOS60 while being on 4.0/4.1 will brick your Wii BEYOND RECOVERY. DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. Your system menu on 4.0/4.1 runs off of IOS60. Preloader runs off of IOS60, guess what happens when you remove IOS60...mmhmm NOTHING works anymore. So DO NOT UNINSTALL/DELETE IOS30,IOS50,IOS60, OR ANY SYSTEM MENU WAD'S.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are hosed. Give it to Nintendo and have them repair it.

Wii tip of the day.... NEVER uninstall any IOS from your system. Simply overwrite the IOS with a newer version with DOP IOS.

KennyLeam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gloriousconnor said:
Ugh.... This sucks. Will they be able to tell I was hacking? Poorly, that is?

Yes, and if you live in the US they're going to send t he FBI against you for violating the DMCA.

(Kidding about the second part but its pretty obvious when you send it in what you did. They'll chuckle, bill you extra for sucking, then send it back)

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
When will the newbs learn???
Anyway, additional information regarding this issue can be found here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=176...p;#entry2217142
yaynds.gif

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you send a Wii into Ninty, they don't even go directly to Nintendo. They are routed to a 3rd party repair company that usually justs quickly sees if they can flash it with obvious tools that you would find right here, if not, you normally get a completely different, used Wii. I repair game consoles, and have sent numerous Wii's into Ninty because of retarded owners doing shit they shouldn't. Not once have I ever been questioned or received any notification whatsoever about the content of the Wii.

You might even get lucky, I've got quite a few different Wiis returned that were older and capable of BootMii on boot2.

SvtLight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my noob ass did something similar. I had a Lu39 and thought I missed something. So for some reason I thought it was a good idea to use dop ios and change ios60 to use 249.. and that screwed it up royally

I could only load the system menu by loading preloader (which still loaded) and changing the ios setting to 249. After that I cant do anything but look at a frozen system menu.. lol

I was told I could use savemii or the savemiifrii method but I would need a disc with an update greater than my system menu of 4.1
frown.gif
but I doubt that is going to work..

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SvtLight said:
Well, my noob ass did something similar. I had a Lu39 and thought I missed something. So for some reason I thought it was a good idea to use dop ios and change ios60 to use 249.. and that screwed it up royally

I could only load the system menu by loading preloader (which still loaded) and changing the ios setting to 249. After that I cant do anything but look at a frozen system menu.. lol

I was told I could use savemii or the savemiifrii method but I would need a disc with an update greater than my system menu of 4.1
frown.gif
but I doubt that is going to work..

Are you sure you did that with dop-IOS? AFAIK all dop-IOS lets you do is install the most recent version (or older versions if you so choose) of official IOS's and patch them with the sig hash check (trucha bug).

If you can still load preloader, can you still load the HBC from it? Or at least directly boot wad manager or something as a file from it? If you can do that, you can likely fix your Wii still and didn't screw yourself nearly as bad as the OP. So if you can boot apps through that still, you can try installing an official IOS60 back on your system, and then try to run the installer for preloader to reinstall it so it can patch that IOS60 again. Then if you really did do something to fuck with IOS249, you can reinstall cIOS rev14 after that or something, but at that point your system menu should work (if you set preloader to run off IOS60 again after reinstalling it if it wasn't already).

QUOTE(gloriousconnor @ Sep 14 2009, 03:51 PM) @ EtherealX: Mine is a launch day wii, I'd rather not rick losing it unless it's absolutely necessary that I send it in.

If you didn't install bootmii to boot2 the first day it came out like any launch day Wii owner should have (or at any point in time at least), then it pretty much is absolutely necessary you send it in. IOS60 is what the system menu runs off of so that will not work at all anymore, even if you had preloader, it would have killed that as well. Boot2 bootmii is the only thing that could have saved you so if you don't have it, send it in.

The only other POSSIBLE fix I believe you may have a slight chance of doing, is using betwiin to convert someone elses NAND with the same boot2 version as you and hopefully no important files on blocks that are bad blocks on your chip into a NAND that would work on your Wii, and then directly write it to your Wii's chip using a hardware NAND programmer like an infectus. You likely can't even do this because you would need your Wii's key's in order to convert it in the first place. So yea basically, without bootmii installed to boot2, you fucked up hardcore. Nintendo might not even be able to see anything you had on your Wii to charge you anything since your Wii is bricked so hard.

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its usually a spoken rule to never uninstall an IOS and you should research it at least before doing so.

If this was indeed a launch wii you could have installed bootmii as boot2 and been ok, but obviously you didn't care enough to research and this is the result of that.

r9delta

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gloriousconnor said:
You know what? Fuck this wii then. I'm just gonna smash it.

Don't do that. Just buy another one, swap the serial stickers (quite easy) and take the broken one back to wal-mart...if they'll only replace that and not give you your money back then you have one to sell at least. Christ, don't be a fucking moron...at least anymore than what you already are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho for those that want to experience being sonic the hedgehog