Homebrew Did I brick my 3DS?

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is scaring me shitless, I updated through sys settings and I have auroranand. I am using a9lh btw,you mean to say I could have made a brick?? How do i got into aurora nand settings?

NANDoNumber5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wait wait WAIT.
I can't update an AL9H Sysnand CFW setup? I was able to update it to 10.7 just fine. Am I missing something here?

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait wait WAIT.
I can't update an AL9H Sysnand CFW setup? I was able to update it to 10.7 just fine. Am I missing something here?
You can. But to be safe, since neither Cakes or AuRei gives a clear indication that firms are patched, I clone sysnand to emunand, update that, then take the CTRNAND (contains update data) and dump it to sysNAND. But make sure that the emunand is the most recent and up to date clone of sysnand! As in, freshly cloned.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
On Cakes, when you check the Block Firm Partition Updates, do you have to save settings? If so, is it possible OP just backed out assuming it would keep the settings?

funnystory: If I'm not mistaken, AuReiNAND automatically blocks firm0 and firm1 updates, so you don't have to worry about manually patching it.

Has anyone else had a brick updating SysNAND with Cakes, or is it only OP? I don't remember having read anyone have this happen, but I may have missed it.

NANDoNumber5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure in the OP's case it's user error somewhere. If you follow Plialect's guide to a 'T', you can update Sysnand Cakes anytime through settings.

hadis1000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On Cakes, when you check the Block Firm Partition Updates, do you have to save settings? If so, is it possible OP just backed out assuming it would keep the settings?
That could be very possible! In the patch menu, it sais at the of the screen something like "press start to confirm".

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
When I did my O3DS I was really nervous about that. After backing out, I went back to the settings menu to make sure it was still checked.

But I haven't updated in any case. Following the Plailect guide should involve bringing an fully updated EmuNAND over to SysNAND, and there hasn't been an update since I set it up.

NANDoNumber5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So when there's a new update, be sure to go back to Cakes menu and double check the block firm option is still ticked before you do the update. PSA ladies and gentlenerds.

Reactions: exangel

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe this is the kind of thing Plailect meant when he said he recommends Cakes for more advanced users.

All the same, perhaps the block should be set by default, and patched to unblock it.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
In case anyone is curious, I checked a box in Cakes settings without hitting start to confirm, backed out, came back and it was still patched. I powered down, went back to settings, and it was not checked.

So backing out and going back to check isn't sufficient. You need to check after powering down if you want to make absolutely sure.

I'll write the Cakes author and make some suggestions.

NANDoNumber5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In case anyone is curious, I checked a box in Cakes settings without hitting start to confirm, backed out, came back and it was still patched. I powered down, went back to settings, and it was not checked.

So backing out and going back to check isn't sufficient. You need to check after powering down if you want to make absolutely sure.

I'll write the Cakes author and make some suggestions.

Good idea.

Ifury

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't know if this been answer, so let say you want to do a update from 10.7 to 11 in the future and i am on a9lh aureinand do i really need to load my 9.2 original sysnand and create emunand and update that way and go to the whole process part 5 of the guide???? or can i just go to system setting and do it that way?? Thx in advance

NANDoNumber5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i don't know if this been answer, so let say you want to do a update from 10.7 to 11 in the future and i am on a9lh aureinand do i really need to load my 9.2 original sysnand and create emunand and update that way and go to the whole process part 5 of the guide???? or can i just go to system setting and do it that way?? Thx in advance

It should be fine. The commotion in this thread was caused by initially thinking the OP bricked randomly without doing anything wrong but turned out it was not the case (still a user error brick).

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Assuming OP didn't actually have Block Firm Updates patch set to on, that was what caused the brick. We don't know for sure, but it seems plausible. If that's the case, you are fine with AuReiNand because it automatically blocks updates to Firm0 and Firm1 AFAIK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy