Hardware Did anyone ever tried a RAM upgrade on the switch?

Macac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pre-Alpha Atmosphere for makiro came out today. In a month it should be stable. Once I get news of stability I will try to order a v2 (I already have a v1) and attempt this mod. From what Ive gathered it should work better because v2 tegra supports 8gb? Please correct me if im wrong or turn me around if this mod is pointless.

pontostroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Please correct me if im wrong or turn me around if this mod is pointless.
This mod is totally useless, many games just don't use 3+gb and in other games I don't see the difference.
If I understand correctly with 8 GB mod you will get the same 4260MB in the application pool as with 6GM mod.

Reactions: orangy57

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
This mod is totally useless, many games just don't use 3+gb and in other games I don't see the difference.
If I understand correctly with 8 GB mod you will get the same 4260MB in the application pool as with 6GM mod.
It's not totally useless, I've tinkered with the ram months ago; in cases such as GC Emulation in L4T and etc after changing some fuse related things you can have some fun; reducing the amount of swap is good for emulation due to the way the MicroSD/eMMC(If you know how to do eMMC setup with L4T) is routed and connected to the SoC; so you can have fun just not as much in HOS & etc.

Kirby567fan

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Did you try changing the game's executable to allocate 6GB of RAM?

Kirby567fan

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
A ram upgrade will be only if at all useful with homebrew stuff, right? Or am i missing something here?
Nope, L4T would also take advantage of it and maybe games too with some executable editing.
Usually games take 2.5GB for CPU RAM and then allocate the rest to GPU.
So the best case scenario is games taking advantage of the extra RAM with some executable editing, and hopefully it could allow higher resolution textures in some games.

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
I've actually been working on a socketed ram mod but as you can imagine routing a FBGA200 pin footprint is rather hard, specially socketing it while considering characteristics such as EMI, trace length, frequency matching and etc, not an easy task and I've been at it months; if I do then it'll be fun to be able to change it on the go due to how you can modify the rear shell to have a laptop style rear door, but I'm yet to buy a proper 3D Laser scanner for this type of replication(I cba to measure and do CAD screw that.), L4T Emulation and etc will most definitely benefit, remember any modification that increases resources will always help, it's just about the hands it is in.

Andy2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nope, L4T would also take advantage of it and maybe games too with some executable editing.
Usually games take 2.5GB for CPU RAM and then allocate the rest to GPU.
So the best case scenario is games taking advantage of the extra RAM with some executable editing, and hopefully it could allow higher resolution textures in some games.
I would count l4t as homebrew

pontostroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Now I can't get 0.16 version to work. The old patches don't work anymore,
In version 0.15 I had to boot from the stock atmosphere with fusee-primary and then my fusee-secondary2(this is only one file that I copy from my build) with fss0 loaded without any problems.
I am also rebuild hekate.

Attachments

• patch.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 120

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
on a different note, what if someone baked a gpu or a ram extension to the dock. I mean yeah there are usb c gpus but it would probably just not work and a ram upgrade might be doable but then there is the problem of bus speeds
Those usb c gpus are thunderbolt 3, which is like usb c but with some pcie lanes tacked on.

Dagas

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
with a tutorial more people could do it, for more performance, more fps, etc etc. that's why I ask proton to tell me how to do it, following steps I could do it. thanks.

evil_santa

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Last edited by evil_santa,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79IIbOZmwvI