Switch OLED Moonlight streaming performance

gsora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey there folks,

I recently modded my Mariko Switch and since then been playing with various homebrews and in particular Moonlight streaming on HorizonOS.

Since I'm liking it a lot and I often play undocked I figured I should upgrade to the OLED model and get that sweet sweet display, alongside the Ethernet-enabled dock.

I noticed that overall the Moonlight experience is incredible at 720p, but I was wondering if someone has experience with it in docked mode w/Ethernet, on a 4K TV.

Or better, is it even possible?

It would make for an awesome TV home streaming device as well!

I don't have any OS constraints, I'm fine with L4T or Android, I'm trying to gather some data points to validate that Switch is capable of streaming 4K moonlight over ethernet.

Thanks!

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
When docked the Switch can use 1080p instead of 720p.
The question is whether Moonlight supports that.
It's still half the resolution as a 4K output.
Someone at Reddit mentioned that he had to overclock his Switch in order to stream 1080p @ 60fps.

gsora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for the link!

Considering the Reddit post is 3 years old, maybe something changed… I’m sure the switch SoC is capable of handling a 4K 60hz video stream, even though maybe horizon os isn’t…

Maybe the only way to know this is testing first hand.

Reactions: Herculeex

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link!

Considering the Reddit post is 3 years old, maybe something changed… I’m sure the switch SoC is capable of handling a 4K 60hz video stream, even though maybe horizon os isn’t…

Maybe the only way to know this is testing first hand.
If you can get 4k output resolution I will be surprised. I didnt think it had either the processing power or the ability to output that res.

HisegiSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OLED and oled dock can output up to 4k60 under Linux and Android.

Moonlight performance in android is stellar. About 2ms decode time at 4k60 and 80mbps bitrate. Linux moonlight performance is alright but fails at 4k

Reactions: gsora and Herculeex

Herculeex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Moonlight performance in android is stellar. About 2ms decode time at 4k60 and 80mbps bitrate. Linux moonlight performance is alright but fails at 4k
Is there video of this? I had no idea it was possible! Fuck yeah!

gsora

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you can get 4k output resolution I will be surprised. I didnt think it had either the processing power or the ability to output that res.
According to the nvidia spec sheet, assuming I got everything right, the Tegra X1 should be capable of hardware decoding 4K/60fps h.264 and h.265 video, it’s pretty much the perfect platform for this kind of stuff!
I would say the major blocker is driver support, and that’s why I ruled out Horizon OS from the get go: as much as it would’ve been great, I doubt Nintendo employed resources to implement drivers for a use case that has never been officially sanctioned.

Damn that’s even better than my TV!

Did you have to do any particular setup on the Android side?
What Linux distribution did you try?

HisegiSan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you have to do any particular setup on the Android side?
What Linux distribution did you try?
Nope no special setup required. Just install android 11 and the moonlight app straight from the play store. Pick 4k resolution from moonlight settings and off you go.

Regarding Linux, tried it on ubuntu bionic and jammy. If moonlight is your only use case, stick to android.

Reactions: gsora

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4