Hardware Did anyone else think to price match?

anark-e

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, when I found out about the Ambassador program, it occurred to me that Best Buy (and some other retailers, I'm sure) does price matching on any product you buy from them within 30 days of purchase. I'll note that I found this out when I bought my PS3 for $400 about two or three weeks before their then-unannounced price drop to $300 (and my PS3 came with Wall-E on bluray and LittleBigPlanet, not a bad deal at all for $300).

A week before August 12th, I went out and bought a 3DS from Best Buy, and logged into the shop to sign up for the Ambassador program. Then after August 12th, I went back to Best Buy with my receipt and got my $85 back (price drop plus tax).

Effectively, I got the best of both worlds. My 3DS ultimately only cost me $169.99 plus tax, and I get the 20 free games for the Ambassador program.

Am I the only one who thought to do something like this?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
If the price match falls under the "cost" of the product, nine times out of ten the manager will not allow the price match.

Best Buy doesn't price match ANYTHING with Walmart. For everything else, you would have to have the ad in hand to do a price match. Does not apply to things with rebates.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I attempted to do this at the Target where I got mine, but they said they don't price match electronics. I should've gone to Best Buy..

anark-e

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, Best Buy gave me no trouble over it at all. It actually took me longer to buy the 3DS than it did to get the price match a week later.

Old8oy said:
If the price match falls under the "cost" of the product, nine times out of ten the manager will not allow the price match.

Best Buy doesn't price match ANYTHING with Walmart. For everything else, you would have to have the ad in hand to do a price match. Does not apply to things with rebates.

They also won't match any non "brick and mortar" stores. But Best Buy, at least as far as I know, will always price match themselves any time there's a price cut within 30 days of purchase. I did it (accidentally) with my PS3, and now with the 3DS as well.

I'd assume the same applies to their Canadian sister-store, FutureShop, for my northern friends. But I'm not sure.

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't have to
smile.gif
I bought one on the 10th at the reduced price at Walmart.
smile.gif

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pricematch wasn't necessary. most large stores dropped the price before the 12th. there were reports all over the internet of this happening.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reaper527 said:
pricematch wasn't necessary. most large stores dropped the price before the 12th. there were reports all over the internet of this happening.

It would have been great for those of us who paid full retail prior to the 12th because the stores that reduced prices early all sold out pretty rapidly.

I really wanted the Ambassador program. My local Target didn't honor price matching at POS for any electronics and I read on the website there are so many exclusions to their price matching it's hard to know what to make of it.
I'm past the 7 day period with Target to attempt to recover the 80 bucks by requesting a price match with a local retailer, but target doesn't appear to offer any price matching against itself the way Best Buy does and has done for a number of years now.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Price matching at bestbuy I've had negative experiences with. But if it worked for you, then that is pretty good.

Now where are the ambassadors games at -.-" I forgot but I guess they come out sept. 8 or something.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
amptor said:
Price matching at bestbuy I've had negative experiences with. But if it worked for you, then that is pretty good.

Now where are the ambassadors games at -.-" I forgot but I guess they come out sept. 8 or something.

no they come september 1st which is in two days

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo