Diablo 3 Accounts Being Hacked

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by IBNobody, May 21, 2012.

May 21, 2012

Diablo 3 Accounts Being Hacked by IBNobody at 6:56 PM (15,933 Views / 0 Likes) 124 replies

1. IBNobody
    OP

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    UPDATE 2:

Blizzard

From Bashiok:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149619846?page=29#571

----------------------------------

Apparently, there is a wave of account hacks going around for Diablo 3. Thieves are taking control of characters, looting all equipment, and stealing all their gold. Account stealing is old news with WoW, but it appears that there is more going on than just stolen passwords. Some are saying that it may be a session ID hack or a server-side hack.

Hacked users log in to find their items looted and mysterious entries on their recently played list.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Here are a few examples of game reporters getting hacked.

http://www.eurogamer...nd-items-stolen
    http://www.examiner....diablo-3-hacked

Here's a link to a massive thread on Blizzard's website:
    http://us.battle.net...49008518?page=1

People are reporting that they've been hacked even though they have an authenticator and a secure password.
    People are reporting that they were hacked even though they only played single-player.

Here's some theorycraft on Session ID Theft.

http://us.battle.net...8518?page=8#156

NOTE: I'm not a security expert. I have not had my account hacked.

2. Seaking
    This message by Seaking has been removed from public view by a moderator, Dec 11, 2016.
    May 21, 2012

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I don't understand how this is funny. While the current goals seem to be chinese gold farming and not actual money, it's still account security for something people paid for (and is going into the gold farming business).

EDIT: Grammar fix.

4. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    All the stolen stuff doesn't even need to be sold by a third party. Why didn't Blizzard anticipate this when they decided to have the real money auction house?

5. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    It isn't that funny but with all the stuff they did to Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 they had it coming.
    They shouldn't charge for a authenticator that offers little to no defense but Blizzard has been going on a downward spiral every since merging with Activision. The DRM preventing single player was a bad idea decreasing sales. We all know hackers will hack it eventually so why hinder your own sales. Also blaming the consumer when you send a ticket when your WoW and Diablo 3 account gets hacked when it probably is a problem with their security is complete BS. Ya, some computers aren't fairly secure but just like MS and Sony they pretty much shift all the blame to you when it might be a security hole on their side when your computer is secure.

They probably didn't think the numbers would be to high. I'm pretty sure every online service company takes in to mind some accounts being hacked.

6. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    but then again there is such a thing as "acceptable losses". chances are, these players will just have to start over and forget about all those hacked items. i mean, really, relying on session IDs alone?

even I who's not well versed on hacking have a faint idea on how to go about doing it, and I might even succeed with the attempt. I didn't expect things to be this lousy, just because it's a DRM.

7. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    They did... But in a poor way.

Basically, if you get hacked, you get punished.

8. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    This is why I'm going to wait until there's an exploit to make it possible to play the game offline. I didn't play the first two online, and I didn't have to be constantly connected to the internet to play, so why does this game have to be the odd one out?

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Let's hope this is fixed by the time I purchase this baby. Saw it for a few hours today for the first time, impressive.

10. emmanu888

Member emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Canada
    wow that was really fast seems blizzard has some work to do on the security side of the server

11. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    DRM + cloud syncing + other things. Cloud syncing is really something useful IMHO, DRM is just BS.

1 person likes this.
  12. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this is funny because

1. it seems saves are NOT on your local machine, correct? so that would mean its in the Blizzard "cloud" on D3 servers

2. what IBNobody pointed out
    its been less then a month and hackers have already found a hole in the security.

being Blizzard, i was hoping this would not happen.

13. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    There won't be an "exploit". You'll have to wait until custom servers can get made, if that's ever possible. Everything, right now, is stored serverside, nothing on clientside.

14. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    This is true. You can get lag spikes, even on single player. My ping is ~300-500 at times, and I see rubber-banding. There will need to be custom servers set up.

------------------------------------

EDIT: I just updated the OP to indicate Blizzard's initial response.

15. xdmario1

Newcomer xdmario1 Member

United States
    I fail to see why Blizzard isn't getting hell for this. I may not play Diablo III, but I do know that if this were to happen with any console, Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony would be taking it up the ass for this. Why should a computer be any different?

16. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    Just checked my account and everything seems fine :ninja:
    Hopefully Blizzard will sort this out quickly!

17. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Because Blizzard is the second coming of Christ or something. People will put up with the excessive and intrusive DRM, the horribly broken launch that prevents paying customers from playing, and the accounts being hacked en masse less than a week after release, because in the eyes of the average Blizzard customer, they can do no wrong.

Seriously though, why is it that if EA sneezes the wrong way people throw a hissyfit, but if Blizzard has a whole week of problems nobody minds? I simply don't get it.

1 person likes this.
  18. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Have you been living under a rock for the last week and a half? Nobody minds? Error 37 is now a meme. Thousands if not MILLIONS of people have been bitching and complaining (rightfully so) about the abysmal launch that Diablo III had. Why don't you check the archive of any gaming news site and you'll see how "nobody minds".

Nobody has been making a big deal on here because, frankly, Diablo III isn't targeting the average 'Temper.

5 people like this.
  19. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    A friend of a friend got hacked, sucked.
    The whole forum and subreddit of diablo are full of people complaining about it.. I've seen people reporting websites (diablowiki apperently had a virus warning, and people who went on there have been hacked, for example)..
    I've not been hacked myself yet. Not that I would REALLY mind, I'm not that far into the game yet.

20. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    [yt]I43GUnZN_s4[/yt]

21. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
    Okay, So before people in this thread spout bullshit they don't know.

ITS NOT BLIZZARDS FAULT.

People getting hacked is their own fault, They clicked on suspicious emails and got a keylogger or trojan virus installed on their computer.

The only way to hack an account with an authenticator is to have a trojan interceptor that blocks the user from connecting and sends the auth code to the hacker, letting them on the account.

For people getting hacked without one, well its their own damn fault for not spending 4 dollars, or getting a free phone app.

Lastly, I haven't had connection issues with Diablo since day one, and the game is amazing IMO, so don't try and start things you know nothing about.

Lastly, once you use an auth code on your account, you don't need to enter it for about a month, as long as you access the account from the same static computer+location.

TL;DR Dumb people are DUMB