JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of file systems, doesn't it make more sense to use NTFS for a game partition?

I use FAT32 for Wii applications, but NTFS for the games, because NTFS allows for full dual-layer Wii ISOs without running into the 4 GB limit of FAT32.
FAT32 gives you better compatibility and stability than NTFS (on the Wii), and your games are automatically split when you rip them with a loader or transfer them with Wii Backup Manager.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking of file systems, doesn't it make more sense to use NTFS for a game partition?

I use FAT32 for Wii applications, but NTFS for the games, because NTFS allows for full dual-layer Wii ISOs without running into the 4 GB limit of FAT32.

However, NTFS is read only which means it is impossible to rip a purchased/rented game without having to rip it to a fat32 drive/partition and move it over manually on your computer which can be annoying.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
However, NTFS is read only which means it is impossible to rip a purchased/rented game without having to rip it to a fat32 drive/partition and move it over manually on your computer which can be annoying.
First of all, that's not true and hasn't been for a long time.

Secondly, don't you guys think you're getting just a little off topic?

Reactions: 1 person

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let me guess, you plan to handle the whole USB2/ARAM issue similar to QEMM's Stealth (which allows putting extra EMS pages over ROM areas (video card, network card, etc) between 640k and 1mb and then switching them back when the hardware is accessed).
Firstly I don't "plan to", it's already done.
Secondly no, nothing like that. USB access is handled by starlet and I don't touch the code running on it, it's a regular copy of IOS.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Anyway, getting back ON topic to SPECULATING how he did it and what it will be like:

Implementation ideas:
0. The first thing to come to mind is obviously WRONG since it has been stated that it will be a standalone app, but it's having a cMIOS similar to DML but that somehow redirects memory addresses away from the area used to communicate with USB (and the Bluetooth since it's connected to USB) and into some upper block of memory (I understand the Wii has more RAM than a Gamecube.

1. I don't know if the Wii's version of the PowerPC has the right features or not but from the existence of things like Mac-on-Mac and Mac-on-Linux, some PowerPC processors can run virtual machines. Especially if the with the hardware being so similar I can see how that would be a RELATIVELY* simple solution. I understand the PS3's PowerPC processor supports hardware virtualization so it seems like it might work with the Wii.

2. When talking about PC video game emulators I think I've heard of the term "dynamic recompilation."* I'm not completely sure what the term means but this is kinda based on the idea that pops into my mind when I hear it. Complicated to implement or not I've re-compiling back to code for the same family of processors should be nearly 1:1. Maybe a second process running ahead of the first (taking advantage of the Wii's faster processor) and patching any code that wouldn't be work well in Wii mode or with Wii hardware while the first process runs the patched code. I ready somewhere that there's a XBox emulator that "converts" the code into PC code since it's so similar maybe it's something like that (although XBox emulators can't yet play too many retail games if I'm right.)

* (My programming skills are not quite technical enough to actually implement any of these ideas myself but the theory SOUNDS fairly straightforward.)

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also excited about this. I just bought a sandisk 32GB SD card class 4 to use for DML. But I rather just load the gamecube games from my external hard drive. How much longer until this gets released?

B.alpha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am also excited about this. I just bought a sandisk 32GB SD card class 4 to use for DML. But I rather just load the gamecube games from my external hard drive. How much longer until this gets released?

He never gave any specific date, he only said to show some results at the beginning of may.
I would say be patient until its done!

I think the most awesome thing will be the Wiimote, Nunchuck and Classic Controller support and I would also be very happy about per game controller settings and a boot disc mode

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But the point is it won't exceed the frame rate it was originally made to play at.

That assumes that the game has a frame limiter which works & up till now it's only going to have been tested at one speed.

Unless you run the games side by side then all you can say is whether it's playable now or not. It's entirely possible for a game to run at a different speed, the AI might work differently and the display might be missing graphics or even have additional graphics & you won't necessarily notice.

When your backwards compatibility requires patching some games (which Wii/PS2/360 do) then you can only rely on them working properly on original hardware.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while i can't speak fortueidj i imagine the stance is it is done when it is done

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Just in case Team Your Mom isn't able to figure out how to add GameCube ports to a new Wii, I hope this can become a 100% fully functional way to play with classic controllers and everything. It would be the only way the new horizontal Wii's could AND possibly make the Wii-U eventually able to do so, too.

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case Team Your Mom isn't able to figure out how to add GameCube ports to a new Wii, I hope this can become a 100% fully functional way to play with classic controllers and everything. It would be the only way the new horizontal Wii's could AND possibly make the Wii-U eventually able to do so, too.
Team Your Mom has already succeeded.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Team Your Mom has already succeeded.
No they haven't. The funds for the new wii wouldn't have even made it out of paypal yet.

As a side note I find your spammy one-line posts very annoying and wish you would stop doing it. Before you hit the post button spend a few seconds considering if you're really adding valuable information to a thread or just bumping your post count.

Reactions: 3 people

xecutionx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you hit the post button spend a few seconds considering if you're really adding valuable information to a thread or just bumping your post count.
Perhaps you should live by your own advice. You seem to have a superiority complex and I find that very annoying. While we appreciate your work, it does not justify your attitude.

Reactions: 2 people

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Team Your Mom has succeeded in gathering enough funds to purchase the wii for the test. That test has a very high probability to succeed.
Apparently on another forum, someone already did the same.
Unless some chinese company starts to manufacture and sell the connectors, they aren't available on the market at the moment.
So, the only source for those parts is getting them from another wii mobo. Even with the connectors installed, the newer wii's are still having a dvd drive that doesn't like gc discs.
There seems to be a new dios mios thread started. If history will repeat itself, some members will ask for a serious donation ground before they will be motivated to make it public. (I won't say work on it, since a demo video should be the prove that most of the work is done and the thing is working) The product that will be released will be buggy as hell, and more donations will be (asked) appreciated to continue the work to make it better. The usb support in dios mios will not directly mean that the wii remote and classic controller will become usable as well. This requires a functional bluetooth stack on top of the usb one. Since dios mios is running in gamecube mode, you can't use an ios to do the job for you. Even without looking any deeper into it, it looks like a dificult and serious amount of work.
Devolution on the other hand, is still running on a normal ios in wii mode (From the pieces I read here), so it should be easier to implement code to use the wiimote. Don't get me wrong, easier doesn't mean easy.

So far what my crystal globe is teling me about the future of gc backup playing on the wii. I hope to stop the off topics this way and expect some responses of angry members which disagree. So, the topic will become a devolution speculation thread again...If not, it was fun writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: