Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In related news, I can confirm that 007 Nightfire works on Devolution (r197) with DiscEX compression. The compressed size is around 1.28GB which saves about 70MB - a huge amount, I know.

Simply use WIT:

In 2-disc games in the other hand...DMT is recomended

I found where to download WIT (LINK) but I wasn't able to find DMT. Where may I be able to find that?

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wasn't able to find DMT. Where may I be able to find that?
This is the last version of DMT:
http://uploaded.net/file/2jrn0ab9

In related news, I can confirm that 007 Nightfire works on Devolution (r197) with DiscEX compression. The compressed size is around 1.28GB which saves about 70MB - a huge amount, I know.
I found where to download WIT (LINK)
As I said is better truncate the iso with WIT, the resulting iso is always verifiable with Devo, unless you like wasting your time trying and error with DiscEx/DMT.
Besides it's page there is a support thread here in the forum:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wwt-wit-wiimms-wbfs-iso-tools.182236/

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For example, this is a comparison of games truncated with WIT and "compressed" with DiscEx/DMT that reduce their original size (1,459,978,240 B) and are verifiable, all in bytes:
Code:
Game	WitTrunc	DMToa	Difference
Extreme G3	392,101,888	392,091,240	10,648
Freekstyle	488,996,864	488,988,544	8,320
Blood Omen 2	1,379,663,872	1,379,637,600	26,272
As you can see WIT let the isos a bit bigger (a few KB), but with it you always have a verifiable iso, because the real data are untouched, so is better use it than Discex/DMT, and iirc it zeroes the blocks that aren't use and that is a plus for storing they in"newer" filesystems or for compressing with tools like 7-zip.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'll also confirm again that Crazy Taxi (130MB) and Starfox Adventures (780MB) among others work with Devo while being trimmed.
Does Crazy Taxi's background music still work when trimmed? I kinda thought audio streaming would be messed up if it got trimmed.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the last version of DMT:
As I said is better truncate the iso with WIT, the resulting iso is always verifiable with Devo, unless you like wasting your time trying and error with DiscEx/DMT.
Except that I was already doing this months ago - either you didn't "advertise" your knowledge regarding WIT or you're a bit late to the trimmed-ISO-in-Devolution party. :P

Case in point, this post I made in April:
On a random note, turns out that Nintendo Puzzle Collection and Mario Party 4 work in Devolution with DiscEX compression! Mario Party 4 is compressed to ~500MB while Nintendo Puzzle Collection gets compressed all the way down to ~150MB!

In other news, is the ISO compression in DMT the exact same thing as DiscEX?

Reactions: tmv_josue

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm lazy to test stuff like that... I read the posts about that before but wanted to make sure it worked well with all discs and find out why some worked and others did not with DiscEx, so take me a while... so yes I'm late, although long ago I knew that but nobody had talked about it again :P.

DMT is a GUI of DiscEx but with a few improvements and new options, both are of crediar but DMT is newer, is best to use the former. The best option is optimized-auto, is the same like DiscEx -c.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMT is a GUI of DiscEx...The best option is optimized-auto, is the same like DiscEx -c.
Well that's all I've been doing with DiscEX anyway, so I probably won't change my workflow just for that. (I already have .BAT files rigged up to make DiscEX more convenient to use)

However, I definitely will try out WIT.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If anybody finds how shrink isos with WIT I apreciate him tells us, with it we also could use scripts, I even asked in it's thread but think I does not like wiimm (j/k).

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
:unsure:
With WIT, we can use scripts also,
I already show how truncate the isos but I don't know how "compress" them,
If someone of you guys find how "compress/trimmed" the .ISOs with WIT,
I would appreciate you tell us,
even, I asked in WIT's thread how do it,
but I think
Wiimm (WIT's author) does not like me (j/k)
because I never had a answer.
... (ufff)

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...uh, I wasn't asking how to use WIT, nor was I saying that I wasn't going to use WIT due to my workflow regarding batch scripts and stuff. That was all only in regards to DMT.

Regarding WIT, like I said, I will definitely look into it, implying that I just have not done so yet - in this case because it's 03:50 here.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think I did not explain properly
Truncate and compressing are not the same
Truncate leaves the game data intact ALWAYS, not modify them at all, only remove the garbage after the last data
Compress in the other hand, modify the game data ALMOST always,
Compressed games that pass the verification of Devo
really are not modified
this is because a few games were pressed
without filled them with garbage
Contrary to this:
It is a curious case of discs with a "strange" recording, and are very few. Contrary to what many people think, GC games are filled with garbage to let the data at the end of the discs (outer edge), for better reading.
Leaving all it's data in the begining of the disc image (inner edge)
Then DiscEx/DMT truncate them like WIT, and not touch the data at all.

I thought you wanted to use DiscEX for the second disc, wich are not verified.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I did not explain properly
Truncate and compressing are not the same.
I undestand this difference already, it's just that I thought the resulting size difference between the two was only a few kilobytes and therefore it's not really worth it to compress if it could mess up the verification-ability of a game.

I thought you wanted to use DiscEX for the second disc, wich are not verified.
I only own a single GameCube game that uses 2 discs, but even then I thought the size difference between DiscEX/DMT and WIT was only a few KB?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1