Hardware Development hardware?

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So about two weeks ago I was contacted by a buddy of mine who owns a game store focused towards collectors. He told me that he had something really cool that I might be interested in. So Wednesday I drive over to his house and we go into his garage. He pulls out three rather large boxes. They were filled to the brim with about 15 years worth of Nintendo Handheld development hardware. The things there covered CGB, AGB, NTR, TWL, CTR, and KTR (No Dev System sadly). There were Wideboys, Dev Units, Flash Carts, Cart Burners, Capture Cards, etc. I was kind of in awe when he throws his price on me. He selling as a lot for $15,000. Then it all starts to seem fishy. most of this hardware is/was $3000-4000 dollars new and some of it extremely rare and expensive now. So I took photos of everything (to make things even more fishy he told me I couldn't share any of these pictures) and has been doing lots of research. Some of this stuff I can't find any thing on (mostly KTR) but what I have found looks extremely legitimate. Now I have questions I can't find answers to. I mean what is the legality owning this? The dude said he got it all from a local developer who was going defunct. Is there any reason to have this hardware other than just coolness factor?

Last edited by olshrimpeyes,

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Coolness factor, and the ability to develop your own homebrew stuff for those systems, if they come with the SDK software too (but you wouldn't really be able to share binary releases since they use the proprietary SDKs; you'd have to treat them like the old Xbox scene, I think), or run homebrew/prototype stuff from others.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah for anything older than the 3ds and wii u it is pretty much only useful as a cool collection. About the only uses that would not be trumped by emulation would be if you found some beta code written for a dev unit (they often came with more memory so you could build it more easily and then scale it back to work on official hardware-- other consoles might have had faster speeds and more capabilities elsewhere but to the best of my knowledge the Nintendo handhelds tended to be increased memory and VRAM and not a lot else in terms of processing/resources, depending upon how you want to view debugging additions), and even then if you know the differences you can probably tweak an emulator to run it (not all the best ones are open source but there are usually workable open source emulators available, especially for Nintendo consoles).
Some others might have control inputs/outputs so you can test timings or automate tests or something but we see control mods/hacks all the time around here and they are not that hard to pull off (buttons are just large switches after all). Footage capture is nice but between GB players, the SNES stuff, emulation and homebrew offerings for capture it is not as useful outside of the DS and 3ds. Not to mention the DS and 3ds stuff was often a glorified camera rather than signals level like the homebrew capture stuff from what I have seen.

If it comes with the software side of things (not impossible) it might contain some info that ROM hackers might like (the GBA and DS have a whole bunch of formats, many of which have been reverse engineered and are probably more understood by hackers than even Nintendo/the devs that made the formats but playing with a full dev kit could yield some interesting results), and similarly if there is any leaked source code (not aware of any for the GBA, is some for the DS in things like Princess Maker and various smaller things too, older stuff tends to only be things like http://www.pagetable.com/?p=28 because it was lots of assembly).

You could dev with official tools but devkitpro and the like render that a pretty pointless exercise, to say nothing of the subsequent need for xbox style distribution of any binaries that daxtsu mentioned. I should also mention that the DS at least had a fairly large number of online/phone home type things associated with it, not enough to completely put you off but definitely enough to make devkitpro that much more appealing.

Legality. The dev probably signed a contract with Nintendo to not resell, whether the cards still remain property of the bank Nintendo I am less sure of. Ebay and co have been known to remove/delist and possibly even sanction people trying to sell such things but ebay play by their own rules anyway (see also paypal and flash cart vendors). You are not going to be raided in the middle of the night for it though.

$15000, probably more than I would pay but as a "get it out of my sight/so I do not have to list 400 different things" type price it is not unreasonable and might even be a good price for a complete collection. Most dev stuff will go for more than a consumer unit but $3-4k new means surprisingly little.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo