Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Please release daily updates as I can test after I'm done at work!

I can test stuff too, if ya need anything ^^

I ll test it out once i get back home

I'm able to test myself again, but thanks for the offers! melonDS is slower than DeSmuME, and there's not much I can really do about that, but I plan on working on the UI just for fun. I'm handling everything via SDL2 now, which seems to be more stable and opens up possibilities for a much nicer-looking menu. Once I add sound and a basic file browser, I'll probably post a build somewhere. I'm busy with work though, so don't expect anything crazy.

Reactions: Hondyn and ownedlol

ShadyGame

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm able to test myself again, but thanks for the offers! melonDS is slower than DeSmuME, and there's not much I can really do about that, but I plan on working on the UI just for fun. I'm handling everything via SDL2 now, which seems to be more stable and opens up possibilities for a much nicer-looking menu. Once I add sound and a basic file browser, I'll probably post a build somewhere. I'm busy with work though, so don't expect anything crazy.
Are you the same guy that was posting in the NDS4DROID page back in the day? i remember someone with a name similiar to yours posting there, i followed that page religiously, and i think i found u later on Drastic forums too ehehe

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Are you the same guy that was posting in the NDS4DROID page back in the day? i remember someone with a name similiar to yours posting there, i followed that page religiously, and i think i found u later on Drastic forums too ehehe
Yep, that was me! I was the guy who figured out why the Pokémon games were locking up on nds4droid [emoji14] I was also a moderator on the DraStic forums, though I haven't been there in a while...

Reactions: ShadyGame

ownedlol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight just so I'm not confused and aren't holding onto false hope... The DS emulation won't reach an acceptable state until a GPU method is implemented? As in Vulcan or OpenGL?

And wouldn't these emulators run on Linux (Switch) better as they are right now? DeS/mDS

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
So let me get this straight just so I'm not confused and aren't holding onto false hope... The DS emulation won't reach an acceptable state until a GPU method is implemented? As in Vulcan or OpenGL?

And wouldn't these emulators run on Linux (Switch) better as they are right now? DeS/mDS
I've tried DeSmuME through Linux on my Switch and while it runs faster than DeSmuME-NX, it still doesn't run fullspeed in a lot of cases. Hardware rendering will help, but I think what we really need is a JIT.

Last edited by Hydr8gon,
Reactions: ShadyGame

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, here's a "final" build of melonDS. Since the last build I posted, I've converted everything to SDL2, and added sound and a basic file browser. The file browser freezes when entering an empty directory (not that I bothered adding a way to back out of directories anyways!) and for some reason the X and Y buttons seem to have broken after I switched input handling to SDL2 (did they work in the previous build?). It's still slower than DeSmuME, which is why I'm not bothering to fix that stuff, and also why I decided not to make a new thread for it. It was a fun learning experience for me to make this, and it was actually a lot easier than I anticipated! If you have some programming knowledge and are interested in learning to port emulators, check it out on my GitHub here. I forked and built directly off of the official melonDS repo, so you can easily see the changes I made to the project. Another advantage of this is that, if development of melonDS were to (hopefully!) continue, it would be extremely easy for me to update the Switch port without even touching the code. Anyways, play around with my build if you want. I think SDL2 is more stable than directly using libnx functions? I haven't had the emulator crash my system once. If anyone is interested I can make a DeSmuME port with SDL2 as well. Or I might just do it anyways for fun. :P

Attachments

• melonDS.zip
    451.7 KB · Views: 411

LuigiGold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Alright, here's a "final" build of melonDS. Since the last build I posted, I've converted everything to SDL2, and added sound and a basic file browser. The file browser freezes when entering an empty directory (not that I bothered adding a way to back out of directories anyways!) and for some reason the X and Y buttons seem to have broken after I switched input handling to SDL2 (did they work in the previous build?). It's still slower than DeSmuME, which is why I'm not bothering to fix that stuff, and also why I decided not to make a new thread for it. It was a fun learning experience for me to make this, and it was actually a lot easier than I anticipated! If you have some programming knowledge and are interested in learning to port emulators, check it out on my GitHub here. I forked and built directly off of the official melonDS repo, so you can easily see the changes I made to the project. Another advantage of this is that, if development of melonDS were to (hopefully!) continue, it would be extremely easy for me to update the Switch port without even touching the code. Anyways, play around with my build if you want. I think SDL2 is more stable than directly using libnx functions? I haven't had the emulator crash my system once. If anyone is interested I can make a DeSmuME port with SDL2 as well. Or I might just do it anyways for fun. :P
Great job! lol

It would be great if we had JIT already working, and if you want of course I'm agree with!

But, what are the benefits of getting SDL2 working on DeSmuME instead of LibNX?

Maybe you could try to use LibNX next time you wanna upload something:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/development-thread-retroarch-libnx.505672/

Anyway, you can do what you want, much less!

Greetings

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Great job! lol

It would be great if we had JIT already working, and if you want of course I'm agree with!

But, what are the benefits of getting SDL2 working on DeSmuME instead of LibNX?

Maybe you could try to use LibNX next time you wanna upload something:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/development-thread-retroarch-libnx.505672/

Anyway, you can do what you want, much less!

Greetings
I'm still using libnx, but I'm using the SDL2 library on top of it to handle display, input, etc. The advantages are that it's a lot more flexible and makes porting easier, especially when the desktop UI already uses it. A good example of this is sound output for melonDS. I literally copy/pasted code from the desktop UI and it just works! I also find it's more stable.

Last edited by Hydr8gon,

MrWhosHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last couple of days I decided to mess around with the switch, so for my first release I decided on a DS emulator.

The interface is very crude based on the Vita port I worked on a few years back. Basically just put some roms inside sdmc:/switch/desmume/roms and play.

https://github.com/masterfeizz/DeSmuME-NX/releases
nice work.. it work on 5.1.0 but game is slow but great work keep it up

Reactions: xXxSwagnemitexXx

MYFW

Trophies
XP
Country
not works on 4.1 for me :/

image.jpg

Last edited by MYFW,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • B
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.