Designer creates first-person Legend of Zelda demo for Oculus Rift

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever wondered how the original The Legend of Zelda would look in first-person? Well wonder no further as developer Ubiquitron is working on a first-person remake of Nintendo's 1986 classic that can be played on Oculus Rift.

Entitled The Legend of ZeldaVR, the project just became available in beta form, which includes the game's overworld and first dungeon. A full version is expected next month on PC and Mac, for free of course, as this would obviously be a trademark violation as a commercial product.
:arrow:Eurogamer

[prebreak]Continue reading[/prebreak]
I'm sorry to note that the commentary in the video cannot be disabled. There will hopefully be some sort of workaround by the time the full version is released.

Anyway, it looks like Nintendo finally got its Link to the VR market.

If this sort of thing interests you, you might also want to check out the Zelda 2 FPS from a few years back. And hey, who knows what other classic titles might undergo the Oculus shift. Mario, Metroid, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt - the skybox is the limit here!

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Oculus rift has pretty big restriction that it's only good with first person games and that doesn't mean you should convert some top down 2D game to first person just because of it.
BTW gameplay shows that sprites are actually screwed with blurry upscale instead of 1:1 upscale you should use with pixelart. Also things like bushes are blocks instead of pixelated models. Then something like sky uses IRL image. This could actually look decent if it weren't so inconsistent :\

Maybe if regular game control scheme is used and regular game is added to HUD or completely reworking game to work as first person perspective (including graphics) then maybe.

Tattorack

Interstellar Explorer
Trophies
Website
tattorack.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Denmark
The enviroment doesn't look so bad, somebody who likes Minecraft probably would appreciat that more.
But the character sprites........? Old game or not, he's remaking an old game for this time using technology that is supposed to make things emersive, an update/cleanup of the sprites would do the universe of good.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked for a Mario game first. That should be the first one made, not Zelda. :angry: But if they get this Zelda game working, then I hope you can just slash through creatures instead of strategically planning like you had to do in Skyward Sword. Has anyone else noticed this: Sony is releasing this head set and we're talking about Nintendo games? Isn't there something wrong with this?
Imagining pokemon with it.... No... Plz no...
Addiction levels for pokefans would go through the roof.

"Charizard, use Flamethrower!" VPI - Virtual Player Incineration. :D Or my favorite: "Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!" And then you could yell out Pikachu for extra damage. Boy, if they released this on the new Nintendo, I would definitely get it. I wonder how a Power Rangers game would play out... :unsure: maybe they would have a patch that would allow five friends to play instead of four*...

*I suppose that's what the online multiplayer is for

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I asked for a Mario game first. That should be the first one made, not Zelda. :angry: But if they get this Zelda game working, then I hope you can just slash through creatures instead of strategically planning like you had to do in Skyward Sword. Has anyone else noticed this: Sony is releasing this head set and we're talking about Nintendo games? Isn't there something wrong with this?

"Charizard, use Flamethrower!" VPI - Virtual Player Incineration. :D Or my favorite: "Pikachu, use Thunderbolt!" And then you could yell out Pikachu for extra damage. Boy, if they released this on the new Nintendo, I would definitely get it. I wonder how a Power Rangers game would play out... :unsure: maybe they would have a patch that would allow five friends to play instead of four*...
Since when is Oculus Rift owned by Sony?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay. It just sounded like that because it's coming as an exclusive to their system. Kind of like how Bayonetta 2 is coming to the U.

Are you... are you having a giggle?

Oculus Rift is not coming to any console. There's rumors that Sony is coming out with their own VR headset, but it is an entirely separate product.

Reactions: gamefan5

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.