Hacking Design Your Own Menu: Community Challenge!

How many games do you store per folder?

• ~5

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • ~10

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • ~20

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • ~30

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • ~40

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • 50+

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure someone already thought of this, but would it be possible to design it after Wiiflow? If you're unable to do the whole three dimensional flow thing, then 2d showing the front and back would still be cool. Also being able to categorize games and having a convienient button layout to switch between emulators, homebrew and ds games would be nice.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Possibility of making the name displayed from the games without showing the so called release number. After ripping a game I've come to add the release number from GBAtemp infos so I could trouble shoot faster if there was a problem. On the other hand, I don't prefer to see the numbers in the file names since the numbers f up the list. Still the normal internal info of the games can be frustratingly bad or vary from game to game (not to mention homebrew!).

ps. This is a feature from the old Evo/iEvo carts. Not really new, but so far I haven't seen a DSTwo menu capable of doing this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I made my post more specific to make it actually useful :P

Something like MENUdo would be great, if it actually worked properly. With the added power of the DSTWO it could be possible for this kind of thing to work smoothly, and it'd certainly be a big improvement from both the default DSTWO EOS and BAGPlug.

Edit: Just read the bottom of the first post :P
I was writing up a long list of specific features it should have but managed to click it away and lose the edit. I rewrote it:

- Advanced skinning system with scriptable behavior allowing for any sort of skin you can imagine, whether it be XMB-like or more traditional AceKard-style.
- Folders and files pinnable to the home screen, with shown file types configurable per folder.
- File associations like BAGPlug already has.
- A "most used" and/or "used recently" screen with shown file types configurable, so you can choose to only show NDS roms, all roms, or all files. These screens would let you launch your favorite games and the games you've played most recently quickly without going through a long list of ROMs.

P

pasc

- add a feature to edit the usercheat.dat on the supercard ds2 itself
- (not directly related to this firmware replacement): get the iPlayer linxu kernel running on the dstwo

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Can you make a menu that looks like the R4's original menu / original DS and DS Lite's menu? That would be so awesome!

aupifb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any coding/skinning skills but I am very much looking forward to seeing a new menu for the ds2. I would gladly donate some money once some more progress is made.
to everyone working on this: keep up the good work!

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scrollable cheat notes... like on akaio... never seen it on supercard and that would make me switch for good...

BassAceGold

Testicles
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would the in-game DSTwo menu still work the same way? I like being able to cheat without going back to the menu.

In game DS2 menu will not be affected by this menu.

I don't have any coding/skinning skills but I am very much looking forward to seeing a new menu for the ds2. I would gladly donate some money once some more progress is made.
to everyone working on this: keep up the good work!

I will not accept any donations for this. Because everyone has different expectations on how this will turn out, there is no way I can possibly match all of them. It would be wrong for me to take money and not deliver on what specific people may have wanted, or wasn't included in the community voted design.

Scrollable cheat notes... like on akaio... never seen it on supercard and that would make me switch for good...

I suggest you re-read the first post to see what I can and cannot do in this menu :D

With that being said, Yes this is a community voted design. I just lay the ground rules, and you the community, have to figure out what makes it in and what doesn't by working together with your designs.

D

Deleted_171835

Basically, the goal here is to leave as little interpretation as possible on my part for the look and behavior of the menu. The main thing is to be very specific in what you would like to see and how it is implemented. General statements like "make it like menudo" are not really helpful and don't contribute to designs others may be working on.
To clarify on my suggestion, an XMB style UI would be much appreciated. Icons (categories) on the top) with the items that fit into those categories on the bottom.

0frm8.gif

MENUdo implemented this design in a very slick manner.

Now that's what I want out of a flashcart UI.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, the goal here is to leave as little interpretation as possible on my part for the look and behavior of the menu. The main thing is to be very specific in what you would like to see and how it is implemented. General statements like "make it like menudo" are not really helpful and don't contribute to designs others may be working on.
To clarify on my suggestion, an XMB style UI would be much appreciated. Icons (categories) on the top) with the items that fit into those categories on the bottom.

snip

MENUdo implemented this design in a very slick manner.

snip

Now that's what I want out of a flashcart UI.
Why not just get a PSP then?

BassAceGold

Testicles
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want a menu like menudo, why not use menudo? This is an opportunity for a unique styled menu, I'd hate to end up coding a copy of something else. However, I am bound to code whatever is the winning design.

Reactions: 1 person

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Any chance of EZ-Flash 3-in-1 support for those of us with DS Lites? As far as design goes, I like many of the menu design aspects of the AK2/Wood menu and its skinning options, though I agree with the people asking for more animation frames. Also, smooth flick-scrolling would be awesome. Internal ROM name display is something I really like about the AK/Wood menu as well, though I would like to have it fall back to filename if no internal name is found (sans extension would be nice). Being able to use a simple .ini or .xml file for skinning would be nice. Built-in support for any of the emulators that support parameter passing would be pretty slick (install the emulator to a specific directory, then click a rom in the file browser to launch the ROM directly). I *think* NesDS supports this, but it's been awhile. Maybe make it configurable to associate filetypes with apps in a specific directory.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Any chance of EZ-Flash 3-in-1 support for those of us with DS Lites? As far as design goes, I like many of the menu design aspects of the AK2/Wood menu and its skinning options, though I agree with the people asking for more animation frames. Also, smooth flick-scrolling would be awesome. Internal ROM name display is something I really like about the AK/Wood menu as well, though I would like to have it fall back to filename if no internal name is found (sans extension would be nice). Being able to use a simple .ini or .xml file for skinning would be nice. Built-in support for any of the emulators that support parameter passing would be pretty slick (install the emulator to a specific directory, then click a rom in the file browser to launch the ROM directly). I *think* NesDS supports this, but it's been awhile. Maybe make it configurable to associate filetypes with apps in a specific directory.

Supporting the 3-in-1 from a technical standpoint is easily doable, usually its either a case of loading the GBA game to the cart and resetting, or loading the 'DS RAM PAK' data before loading a compatible DS game.
We can assume that the new DSTwo menu will support some kind of plug-in system, where emulators and any software requiring auto file loading should work. Bass has done this in the past (as have I). I can't think of any reason why this wasn't the first feature that Bass thought of adding.

LolGuyX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some features that I would consider as awesome would be:

Something like a slideshow for the themes (new backgrounds every minute or so)
Music running at the background of the menu (if Mp3 is too heavy, try something else like midi?)
A rename option for the files on the card (right now we have copy paste and delete)
An option to add action replay codes to the usrcheat.dat from the supercard itself (instead of using the cheat code editor on your PC)

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
A sorting system of each filetype would be nice.

Smooth animations, of course

Also, at least, last I checked, plg integration with BAGPlug was kinda.. well, bad. I'd like to see them treated the same as NDS files, UI-wise, with icons and descriptions

And, an integrated media player, but that's already been said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/AjP7B2QFB9E?si=5qT8Ov9brYiIhoGi