1. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It shouldn't as long as you don't have the 3DS connected to WiFi while it's in sleep mode (closed).

2. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Put in a game and decided to download the update for that game (SMB or was it MH4)
    So i unticked my Nintendo webrestrictions on the router so i could access the nintendo servers
    Decided in the end, not to do it, but i got the update nag, every few power on i got the nag screen
    Ticked back to block the nintendo website restrictions in my router (this way i can streetpass and have internet access (youtube and browser) but no eshop access and no system can't get updated (if you try it gives a connection error)
    Nag screen kept popping up every now and then (daily), so did this trick and for 7 days now, no update nag to see

I keep WiFi enabled on all my 3DS systems for my Pi streetpass relay, but only when i have my Nintendo website restrictions enabled. (Yes, there in sleep mode with WiFi on, No i don't get any updates over my Pi streetpass relay)
    My N3DS and 2DS are on 9.5, so whenever i need to access eshop, i have to be sure to turn off wifi on the other systems and disable website restrictions on my router :)

3. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

United States
    Why wouldn't it? If it worked before, it'll still work. But, since you'll be connected to the internet, you may end up with another nag.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    It was well known that we shouldn't update to 9.3 a long time before the new gateway exploit came out... They even had a news post on their website just for that...

Margen67 likes this.
  5. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    If you block some sites on your router (firewall settings) you don't have to care about getting the update nag and still be able to access youtube and internet (no eshop or game updates or theme's buying)
    Look at a post i made in another thread for a screenshot of my firewall/website restrictions settings.

6. Slushie3DS

Slushie3DS Cold Beverage Lover

United States
    Wow, this is incredible! Good work, and thank you for your documentation!

Margen67 likes this.
  7. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox fox-ott

United States
    Confirmed to work with my 9.0U N3DS.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

I tried this on my 4.5E old3DS, but I keep getting it again when I connect to the internet, even though I've configured OpenDNS correctly according to this thread.
    It doesn't when I don't connect to it, though.
    Anyone else having the same problems?

9. Dycedarg

Dycedarg Newbie
    Newcomer

United States

If I block those sites in my router, will I still be able to go online inside the game I'm playing? Like do online battles in Pokemon.

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Ryccardo

OP Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    It should (of course this ignores the problem of getting game updates)

Margen67 likes this.
  11. Dycedarg

Dycedarg Newbie
    Newcomer

United States

Cool! Thanks!

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

United States
    Wish I had known this a while back... and that GW tools works on 9.2 or lower. Really, the two should be top sticky post for new users.

That way they will block FW update long enough to make a backup of firmware and ROMs before anything happens.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. d0k3

d0k3 3DS Homebrew Legend

Germany
    Wait, the 3DS has a recovery menu? :huh:

I wonder why no one has tried to exploit this so far.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. Ryccardo

Italy
    As I previously guessed:
    • The existence of this feature was only documented on 3dbrew, which is hardly a website with nicely laid out facts
    • People who care about not getting updates will most likely not play with a feature whose only official effect is to [re]download and install them (if you were wondering, it can also get you to network settings without knowing the password, if you locked your console)
    • People who had no problems with updates clicked yes/didn't notice the effect/didn't bother to report
    • The update nag is no big deal (in fact the worst part is getting the blue light daily) -- to actually install updates you must press A or touch an onscreen button then touch another (so even if you were mashing A and it popped up, uhhh you can tell apart "Agree" and "Not Agree" I hope)

Margen67 likes this.
  15. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi, anyway to use this method to update via game cart? Thanks for the info.

16. Ryccardo

Italy
    Hm? Card updates to sysnand will work as always (updates only core OS and Home launcher, region locked) and this tip doesn't influence card updates at all...

17. powersaver

powersaver GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From what I gathered in another thread, the method discussed here is a safe-mode method and can be used when there is a partial brick/black screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use this method to update via game cart?

18. Ryccardo

Italy
    Well, it's true that this runs in safe mode (meaning an alternate kernel), but I doubt this alone can save you from any brick (MAYBE MAYBE Nintendo sets a proxy that redirects the update server to properly signed Home-replacing service tools? heh), and for all I know card updates are managed by Home only...

19. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    how do i get rid of the update nag on emunand? without reformating i mean^^

20. Ryccardo

Italy
    You can't, at least not in a practical way...

I've compared dumps of 8.1 before and after downloading 9.5-23 (or was it 9.6?) -- a lot of files are added without an obvious naming rule, and worse some are even deleted, so with current knowledge any (currently nonexistant) tool to undo update nags must be programmed case by case (and a case is an exact "now installed/to avoid" pair)!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - predownloaded, (Spotpass, [Sysnand