Debate: are people getting thicker?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, something's been bugging me for years. It might just be me, but I can't shake the feeling that I've been observing a slow degredation in the state of humanity for several years now. People seem to be getting quite alarmingly stupid. Not everyone, in fact I'm sure the smart people are getting smarter. But the dumb people just seem a lot dumber than they used to. Here's a few examples.

- The Crazy Frog. Only a truly decadant and inwardly collapsing society could ever have allowed an annoying noise to become the pinnacle of music and oust Coldplay from their number one spot on TOTP back when the frog's cold hearted butchery of Axel F was unstoppable.

- Paris Hilton. Her very existance is a good sign that humanity as a whole isn't much fussed about progress. She's a symbol for all celebrity culture. Jedward, Big Brother, any instance where someone gets by on name and no talent yet makes more money picking their nose than I earn in a year.

- Chavs. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure teenagers have almost always been total ass hats. But why are the modern ass hats so in your face about it? Idolising drugs, violence, stupidity and the raping of the english language, chavs are all associated subcultures are a major thorn in my balls. I have a hazy recollection of a time when such things were considered bad. What happened to that idea? When the ability to speak the queen's english was pretty much a given instead of the rarity it seems to have become in my city.

- Fanboys. Again, while this has probably always been around, why does it seem all the more noticable these days? Case and point, the ongoing campaign to see which has the bigger fanbase, Halo or God. People no longer analyse anything, they'll gladly accept a cheap cop out of a game which offers nothing new and simply stagnates the industry, just because it carries the name of a game that once shook the world. We never used to be this rabid. It's not just the Halo fanboys of course, that's just my pet peeve. A lot of people these days are simple creatures, brainless hype fed sheep who will spend whatever the popular norm demands instead of thinking for themselves.

This is particularly worrying for me. Both as someone who tries to classify himself as an intellectual and as a gamer. From the gamer standpoint, people getting thicker means that games will have to dumb down to maintain sales (see pretty much any Wii game that's not Zelda, Mario or Metroid related) and that scares me, because the last time the industry was all easy to make no effort generic slop, we had the infamous crash of '83. I don't want to see my beloved games industry fall. Granted, I think it's so damn strong at the moment that such a collapse is unlikely, but look closely and you'll see the warning signs.

As a man who tries to consider himself an intellectual (I'm not perfect, nobody is. Nor do I claim to be. But I do try to think every now and then about serious stuff) the stupification of the masses worries me, because I'd actually like to see mankind make some serious progress. Walk on other worlds, explore the ocean depths, unlock the mysteries of life. And we're never going to make any sort of progress if we're taking one step forward and two steps back, which is how life seems to be for us as a species right now. We seem to have reached an impasse. A point in our evolutionary path where we seem content to rest on what we have rather than strive for more. We've damn near given up on the space program, for example. We're never going to walk on Mars in my lifetime at this rate, some people aren't convinced we've been to the moon yet (don't let this topic become a 'did we or didnt we' debate please).

Maybe it is just me. Maybe it's just false memories of childhood and we were always this dense. But maybe I'm right. What do you think?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Most of what you're commenting on is social phenomena - hence your findings.

After you guys grow past teenage years, it'll get better. Promise.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no debate here. People ARE getting stupider, more ignorant, more selfish, lazier, more self entitled and common sense and common courtesy don't seem to be so common anymore.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well before I graduated high school I took a walk down the freshmen hallway wondering how that graduating class was going to be. I was saddened by the fact that our future is fucked. They were yelling across the hall the stuff they did over the weekend, which included under-age drinking, sex, doing drugs, ect. A good number of them had already gotten into trouble in the school and with the law. A few girls had already gotten pregnant, and the guys were in close contest of wits with a stone.
I am going to agree with Dave on this one, it's not even a debate as much as fact.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, intelligence is on the rise. It's common sense that seems to be plummeting.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
common sense and common courtesy don't seem to be so common anymore.

Nor does honour, integrity, or common decency. Holding the door open for a lady for example. Nobody does that any more. All the girls at my school and now at work think I'm some sort of relic because I hold the door open for them. I have a sense of moral decorum. I'm constantly told I don't belong in this age. Maybe they're right.

This subject gives me nightmares you know. Nightmares where nothing is done to stop the degredation of the human brain and years from now kids sat in their classrooms don't even speak, they communicate in rudimentary Morse code by banging their heads on their desks.

Uncle FEFL

OBJECTION!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course people are getting stupider. It's the human way to take the easiest route whenever it's seen, and as technology grows, our intellect diminishes. Some people here are extremely intelligent, and that's not because they were born that way, it's because they have a motivation to do something. They have a will to live, and thrive on information.

The general populous, very much so in the US, is nearly the exact opposite. I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

People aren't born idiots, it's just that some (or perhaps most) are swayed too easily without facts and logic. I'm gonna try to state this in the most unbiased way I can: the field of science, generally, is perhaps THE MOST important aspect of our lives.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
People started to domesticate animals and no one had to hunt anymore, so people got lazier

People started to package this food at a lower cost, and higher fat content, so people got fatter

Now with the "information age" no one has to actually learn anything, they can just look it up on the internet, and so we get dumber.

We are devolving and it's scary as hell.

The average IQ has dropped over the years.

Now, me...I use the internet to learn more every day. Science and technology fascinates me and I love to know how it works.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The most worrying thing is that the only way I can see of actually doing anything about the problem is...well, a war. And not one of these half arsed wars where America steamrollers a developing nation within a fortnight. A real war. Where everyone on Earth is fighting to survive. Or some sort of global cataclysm, like a meteor impact or some such. Think about it. If the world as we know it came to an end, how many of us would actually survive? Do you know how to...

- Care for animals?
- What kind of mushrooms are poisonous?
- How to build complex things from wood, IE: a house?
- How to manipulate metal for various things?
- How to fend off wild animals?

Think about it seriously for one minute. If we found ourself in a Fallout 3 situation, most of us these days wouldn't have a damn clue where to begin.

elmoreas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought the same thing when I was 16 and living in small town America. I thought it was just there, but apparently it has spread and now encompasses all of the USA and parts of other nations. Yes there is certainly a "dumbing down" of society as well as a loss of all moral center. Right vs. Wrong and teaching that to our children. I am not a violent person but when they took away the right of the parent to spank (not beat, spank) their children is when this all started.

To Blaze163 in Response to do I know how to
- Care for animals?

Yes I do and much more, in fact I have 7 animals right now, I mushroom "hunt" twice a year, I have built 3 log cabins in my life the first at age 8, I have my own ceramics and metal working studio in one of our sheds, and I have been hunting (Bow, Musket, Shotgun, Spear) since I was legally of age at 12 and could get a permit. No I am not an extremist, nor a survivalist, pretty much all the guys I went to school with can do all of or do these things. Its relative to where you are from. I am from the rural USA and though we have a issue with the dumbing down of society like elsewhere, these things are still taught.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Blaze163 said:
The most worrying thing is that the only way I can see of actually doing anything about the problem is...well, a war. And not one of these half arsed wars where America steamrollers a developing nation within a fortnight. A real war. Where everyone on Earth is fighting to survive. Or some sort of global cataclysm, like a meteor impact or some such. Think about it. If the world as we know it came to an end, how many of us would actually survive? Do you know how to...

- Care for animals?

Think about it seriously for one minute. If we found ourself in a Fallout 3 situation, most of us these days wouldn't have a damn clue where to begin.

None of those even matter for someone with a bit of skill in social engineering.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
TwinRetro said:
Blaze163 said:

- Care for animals?

None of those even matter for someone with a bit of skill in social engineering.

I beg to differ. Who's to say there's anyone else around? Do you personally know all the skills you would need to survive? Basic first aid, a knowledge of what food is safe to eat, etc? These skills are lost in today's age because they're no longer necessary, but they could become necessary at any moment. While I can appreciate that certain things are lost with time, intellect should never be one of them.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Blaze163 said:
TwinRetro said:
Blaze163 said:

- Care for animals?

I beg to differ. Who's to say there's anyone else around? Do you personally know all the skills you would need to survive? Basic first aid, a knowledge of what food is safe to eat, etc? These skills are lost in today's age because they're no longer necessary, but they could become necessary at any moment. While I can appreciate that certain things are lost with time, intellect should never be one of them.

Intellect and knowledge for survival do not go hand in hand...in fact, they are almost never seen together.

Being book smart, and knowing what to o to survive are 2 different things, and usually it's one or the other. I know a hell of a lot about genetics, science, and technology, but none of that means a lick when you're stuck without anything but the wild blue yonder.

If there are people around, i'll be fine, if not...well, let's just hope I don't pick up a poison mushroom.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Correction. intellect is being gained at a phenomenal rate by a certain handfull of people.
Mostly those in the science and technology field.

That being said...we have those people think for us.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You say people don't have the capacity to know all there is to know. I agree with you. But I personally don't get the impression that a lot of people are trying to know ANYTHING. They're content to sit watching the latest series of Big Brother or whatever the replacement will be now that Big Brother has finally called it a day, wasting away never achieving anything and not even attempting to better themselves in any way. We've become so lazy that we're content to die having made no mark on the world whatsoever. I'm not saying everyone should be a total glory hunter, but I don't think I could be on my death bed realising I'd achieved nothing with my time on Earth and still smile. That's how people are getting these days. They just don't care. They don't want to see humanity achieve anything. They don't want to do anything for anyone, not even themselves.

Take my uncle as an example. I have only a vague recollection of him from my early years as most of my childhood memories are hazy at best. But I recall he was an electrician, and a good one at that. He even rewired some of my old school while my dad was fixing a window there. Now he sits in a grotty council house, drinking himself to death. Nothing went wrong in his life, he wasn't struck down in his prime by uncontrollable illness or anything. He just stopped giving a damn. He looked after our dog for a few months and she died because he couldn't be bothered to care for her. She died months ago and when my dad and I went to visit a few days ago, there was still dog hair on the carpet.

People are getting lazier and more pointless by the day. I don't expect every human on the face of the planet to be a shining beacon of hope and human endeavour, but could we at least try?

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just because people CAN be lazy doesn't mean they SHOULD be. Why is nothing being done to motivate people? Get humanity in gear so we can start making some serious progression as a species instead of just a few of us going all the way, only for their big announcements to the world about their latest discoveries to be ignored so we can all watch the latest fatuous entertainment for the terminally short of brain cells?

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Considering I was physically assaulted and called a terrorist today by 3 guys for answering "Yes" to a survey question asking if I was willing to read the Qur'an (after having already answered "Yes" to every other religious book), my vote goes for yes, people are becoming more dense, argumentative, and rude. I'm gonna become a damn recluse just to avoid it.

That and a week ago I saw a board full of laypeople calling Stephen Hawking a retard. Truly blew my mind.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol