Hacking Dear SKY3DS owners....

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cheers for your response - I've only read good things about it too....... but I'm not really interested in speculation at this point in time...i couldn't care less what Nintendo intend to do, or what GW thinks it can do, etc. I just want pure facts - how good-reliable is Sky3DS?

hopefully this thread doesn't get ANYONE responding with issues.... I don't want this to be a SKY3DS hate thread from all the GW lovers.
Well, that the Sky3DS is blockable is a fact, as hackers were successful in detecting it. That the Sky isn't future proofed (no fw spoofing, emuNAND or cia installs) is also a fact and a matter of concern. Not saying it will be blocked anytime soon, but if you're interested in knowing about the Sky's shortcomings, to go "It's not currently blocked, so don't bother me with these details!" is akin to hiding your head in the ground like an ostrich. It was this lack of foresight what got many Sky users banned.

Reactions: Lacius

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
sorry non sky3ds user but just a point that should be made ( i would imagine)
but i know there has been stores of buttons falling off or saves being deleted, but its worth mentioning that im sure buttons falling off would likely be down to how hard someone pushes the button, i know some people can be very heavy handed so one or two people mashing the button in and breaking it is probably well within the range of normal heavy handed user figures

and the corrupting saves could also be down to people using poor quality/fake micro SD cards, many average consumers just buy whatever is cheapest, the amount of "why is my games showing up as white squares" on gateway cards is testament to that,

i think its been kind of long enough to get a general idea of if there was any major flaws or problems with sky3ds, all in all its mostly all good from what i have heard,if there was any major issues there would be many more threads with people having corrupt saves/broken buttons

one post i did read said that the sky3ds seems to get stuck slightly in the n3ds, maybe the user had a slightly off center card slot or something, but worth a mention i suppose, and also it doesnt work with powersaves for most games.....iirc it will only work with card2 games.....again probably not a issue for 99% of people, but on the other hand it was a disappointment to some users, but all in all it does what its intended to do, build quality seems to be fine, maybe the odd few doa cards, or poorly soldered buttons, but probably on par with doa gateway cards (or all mass produced flashcard in general)........if you feel you want one i see no reason why you shouldn't get one

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sky 3ds has a bit of a learning curve to it for setup and rom/save-data manipulation. over-all i have had no problems with either my sky3ds or qq3ds(exact same thing). its easy enough that my GF with no tech knowledge can use it unattended. i have used good sd cards from day one, so no problems with save corruption.

Reactions: sbm888

sonic0967

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a Sky3ds owner I have been very happy. The only main gripes I have with it are very minimal, but the following
1. If you have a N3DS XL, the cartridge slot is on the front. On more than one occasion I have accidentally pressed the button mid game, causing me to lose my progress. Doesn't happen very often and I have adjusted to it being there.
2. Since I went overboard and got a 32GB card, if I pass by a game I'm looking for, I have to pass through all 20 games again to get there. Haven't read the manual since mine came in a plastic case so I don't know if there is a way to go backwards, or only forwards.
3. The time it takes to switch games is longer than I expected it to be, but I came from a DSTwo, so I'm used to being able to swap games instantly. Just used a stopwatch, comes in at a little under 8 seconds to switch games, really isn't that bad.
4. The loader program doesn't recognize my SD card in my laptop, but it works fine in my desktop
Other than that, I've had no major issues. Blue button still has a very nice click to it, even though I've probably pressed it several hundred times. Haven't had any saves corrupt on me either.

Also worth noting I am using the following SD card I grabbed off Amazon, have had no loading issues or slowdowns.

"SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHI-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up to 48MB/s With Adapter- SDSDQUAN-032G-G4A"

Reactions: cvskid and sbm888

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry non sky3ds user but just a point that should be made ( i would imagine)
but i know there has been stores of buttons falling off or saves being deleted, but its worth mentioning that im sure buttons falling off would likely be down to how hard someone pushes the button, i know some people can be very heavy handed so one or two people mashing the button in and breaking it is probably well within the range of normal heavy handed user figures

and the corrupting saves could also be down to people using poor quality/fake micro SD cards, many average consumers just buy whatever is cheapest, the amount of "why is my games showing up as white squares" on gateway cards is testament to that,

in all i think its been kind of long enough to get a general idea of if there was any major flaws or problems with sky3ds, all in all its mostly all good from what i have hear,if there was any major issues there would be many more threads with people having corrupt saves/broken buttons

on post i did read said that the sky3ds seems to get stuck slightly in the n3ds, maybe the user had a slightly off center card slot or something, but worth a mention i suppose, and also it doesnt work with powersaves for most games.....iirc it will only work with card2 games.....again probably not a issue for 99% of people, but on the other hand it was a disappointment to some users, but all in all it does what its intended to do, build quality seems to be fine, maybe the odd few doa cards, or poorly soldered buttons, but probably on par with doa gateway cards (or all mass produced flashcard in general)........if you feel you want one i see no reason why you shouldn't get one

Yeah, but that's more or less the same problem for every flashcard so it's not really a thing particulary related to Sky3DS. Most flashcards are made in China and the manufacture is often a lot more cheap than regular products also manufactured in China.

Gateway also doesn't enter perfectly in my 3DS or my brother 3DS XL, you have to force a little. Not a lot, but it doesn't fit like a real 3DS cart.

You might never have to remove it from the N3DS anyway, as you can access the Micro SD cart without removing the cart (by using the pen for example, to remove the Micro SD cart, like I was doing for the Gateway though I never tried it yet with the Sky3DS).

2. Since I went overboard and got a 32GB card, if I pass by a game I'm looking for, I have to pass through all 20 games again to get there. Haven't read the manual since mine came in a plastic case so I don't know if there is a way to go backwards, or only forwards.

Yeah. That's why I said the best was to only put 4-5 games at once. This way, whatever the game you want to play, it take less than one minute to load it. One hardly play dozen of games at once anyway, even on my Gateway where I have like 40 games, I probably didn't played 75% of them yet.

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, that the Sky3DS is blockable is a fact, as hackers were successful in detecting it. That the Sky isn't future proofed (no fw spoofing, emuNAND or cia installs) is also a fact and a matter of concern. Not saying it will be blocked anytime soon, but if you're interested in knowing about the Sky's shortcomings, to go "It's not currently blocked, so don't bother me with these details!" is akin to hiding your head in the ground like an ostrich. It was this lack of foresight what got many Sky users banned.

jumping out of a plane without a parachute will get you killed... the fact that is also a fact.

but If i don't go in a plane and don't intend to jump out of it, I won't die....

I know all the background behind these carts - my head is not in the sand..... i never intend to go online with these carts...

once again, i couldn't care less whether Sky3DS will/can be blocked in the future.

why can't people understand that simple request?????

finally - I'm seeing some posts regarding issues with the Sky3DS - microsd compatibility, etc... awesome... Thank you!

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Most MicroSD carts should work, as long as it's not fake ones. I also use a Scandisk 32G ("Extreme" if I remember the name right, but I think it's the same thing as "Ultra", except just a bit faster).

And yeah, I wouldn't advice to play online with a Sky3DS, even with a private header, to avoid getting the N3DS banned. I wouldn't even go online on a N3DS with the "other one", so ^^;

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jumping out of a plane without a parachute will get you killed... the fact that is also a fact.

but If i don't go in a plane and don't intend to jump out of it, I won't die....

I know all the background behind these carts - my head is not in the sand..... i never intend to go online with these carts...

once again, i couldn't care less whether Sky3DS will/can be blocked in the future.

why can't people understand that simple request?????

finally - I'm seeing some posts regarding issues with the Sky3DS - microsd compatibility, etc... awesome... Thank you!
What does that have to do with anything?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The difference being that by buying a SKY3DS, we assume you intend on using it to play games. It's reasonable then to acknowledge that you might not be able to play future games with it.

sbm888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The difference being that by buying a SKY3DS, we assume you intend on using it to play games. It's reasonable then to acknowledge that you might not be able to play future games with it.

never intend to go online, not intending to play new games, happy with the massive backlog of games I've missed out on.

Reactions: Lacius

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
He said he doesn't play online, so he'll never have to update the firmware (pretty sure no games in 2015 will have 9.6 on them, as the firmware is not even out for now, and that though 9.x is available since several months, no retail games have it for now).

And I don't know for him, but when someone say to have a GW and want a Sky, you can assume they just want one for the "wait", which shouldn't be more than a few months long (so new firmwares and such aren't really a problem as most people will have sold it before it ever happen).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(pretty sure no games in 2015 will have 9.6 on them, as the firmware is not even out for now, and that though 9.x is available since several months, no retail games have it for now).
Statistically, the turnaround time between when a software version is released online and when it comes attached to game cards is about 4-6 months. You can expect 9.x on game cards in March or April of this year, and you can expect hypothetical 9.6, if it were to come out this month, on game cards this summer.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I got the blue button version right after GW released their update for 9.2 without N3DS support. None issue so far for me when using Sky3DS with my N3DS. It's hard to control at very first time of using but when I get use of it, it's perfect. I don't want to bring retail gamecards with me when traveling. Hence, Sky3DS is my all needs because it represents exactly (must be confirmed) as a retail card so that it has an ability to restore save from Sky3DS to my retail cards without any issue, of course, I use Powersaves to do that. Moreover, it also has an ability to backup/restore savedata with SaveDataFilter to use with CFW CIA. I'm using Samsung Pro, it costs ~5 seconds switching between games, Pokemon games about ~3 seconds. Still haven't got banned yet because I'm using my original dumps from my retail cards (every single game).

dandymanz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I got myself the Sky3ds few weeks back and sold off the Gateway i was sitting on. Here's some stuff i encountered:

1) Setting up the Microsd for the first time was a challenge. Took me a few trials and errors before i finally managed to write games onto it. Some issues i had at first was the diskwriter not able to recognize my microsd card, then it complained that there was not enough space to write games onto it. I then changed from my SD card converter to a microsd usb reader and the problem was solved.

2) 2 times this has happened for me. After pressing the blue button to change game, the blue light keeps blinking and the game doesn't change. Then the N3DS screen just appears to hang and isn't responsive anymore. Have to force a power down. And i also take the chance to remove and re-insert the cart again. After that it seems fine.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only had Sky3DS for a week but so far it's worked well. The main issues I've had:

1) Tedious to switch between many games. My solution was to put my most played games early in the list; then I can just do the 'reset' procedure to start from the beginning again. (Reset by holding in the blue button as you insert the cartridge; take out, reinsert; take out, reinsert - back to the beginning of the list much faster then cycling through 20 games.)

2) TONS of work getting my original retail cartridge save transferred to use with Sky3DS. Did NOT work with Powersaves, so I couldn't go that route. Ultimately used duke_nrg's perl script to edit the save file manually and it worked like a charm.

3) Also a lot of work integrating custom headers / IDs to avoid online bans - I created my own template.txt file to do so, and it seems to be working. Played MK7 online with no issues.

No idea on longevity, and the SD card writing can be flaky with certain readers, but overall I'm pleased so far and it's given me exactly what I was after - portability.

Gumdoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had mine a few weeks now, really no complaints. I wish there had been even some instructions with the cartridge, but a quick trip to the Sky3DS page and I had a nice user manual to follow. Took a few minutes to figure out, but once I did, no issues. I only put on 5 games at a time, too much of a pain to scroll through more than that. I don't play online, so no issues there. I do have my Gateway which will almost for sure come out of retirement once they get it working with the N3DS, but overall, I'm a happy Sky user.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1