DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to add an AP patch for the modified (English translated) version of Holo 2 and Summon Night X (also fantranslated) please? Btw since you said the newer database doesn't work with bad dumps, would it work with a fantranslated patch on a bad dump? Since that one has differnt CRC due to being modified.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...ans-the-sea-english-patch.613075/#post-987294
ROM hacks/Translations like these would be the only exception when adding support for said hack(s) into the database, they may have used bad dumps as bases, but they are ROM hacks no less, and while I would prefer that ROM hackers did better research over the dumps available, and actually use the correct dumps for their projects, obviously trying to make sure every ROM hack developer uses the right dumps is pretty difficult to make happen.

To those developers reading this, I recommend you put in the extra effort to make sure you are using the right base dump(s), and not something randomly thrown on the shady sites of the internet. I've been around ROM hacks for years in various console related scenes, I've seen the results of messing with bad or already modified dumps, even from personal experience. You should pay a little more attention to what you are dealing with before considering going all in with whatever edits you plan to make. You not only spare yourself the trouble with the nutty troublesome data, but you also spare people having to obtain a janky variant of the game just to apply the patch to given now a days bad dumps are kind of phased out when possible, making them harder to come by. If you own a legal copy of the game, put the effort into learning how to dump said title(s) for future uses like ROM hacking, we have tools to get the job done easily these days (at least in the case of Nintendo DS titles in this scenario).

Reactions: Fel

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ROM hacks/Translations like these would be the only exception when adding support for said hack(s) into the database, they may have used bad dumps as bases, but they are ROM hacks no less, and while I would prefer that ROM hackers did better research over the dumps available, and actually use the correct dumps for their projects, obviously trying to make sure every ROM hack developer uses the right dumps is pretty difficult to make happen.

To those developers reading this, I recommend you put in the extra effort to make sure you are using the right base dump(s), and not something randomly thrown on the shady sites of the internet. I've been around ROM hacks for years in various console related scenes, I've seen the results of messing with bad or already modified dumps, even from personal experience. You should pay a little more attention to what you are dealing with before considering going all in with whatever edits you plan to make. You not only spare yourself the trouble with the nutty troublesome data, but you also spare people having to obtain a janky variant of the game just to apply the patch to given now a days bad dumps are kind of phased out when possible, making them harder to come by. If you own a legal copy of the game, put the effort into learning how to dump said title(s) for future uses like ROM hacking, we have tools to get the job done easily these days (at least in the case of Nintendo DS titles in this scenario).
Thanks! Let me just add that Spice and Wolf 2 (Holo2) is supposed to be used on a clean rom, and it even adds a bad to good dump xdelta patch, so that one's good (however it doesn't work both on Sakura and Ysmenu on M3 DS Real).

However I'm not sure about the aforementioned Summon Night X, since the good dump listed on advanscene was dumped only after the patch was created and the translator has been inactive for few years now, so I think it most likely was created off the bad dump, unless he dumped his own rom, as I doubt the freeze fix bug from 2018 was altered to work with the clean dump. I think the patch in the OP doesn't even include the new update (the 2018 freeze fix bug) from page 3 that contains a fix for a freeze bug encountered early on in the game (https://gbatemp.net/threads/summon-night-x-tears-crown-translation.484998/post-7900576). I compared the dates of the files, and the patch in the OP is from 2017, while the update is from 2018, so unless the modified date doesn't change if the patch was updated to the latest version, the latest one is the one I linked here from page 3, for anyone who wants to download the patch itself.

Last edited by Fel,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this
What do we do when we find cheats that do not work for the game
Perticuarly Nitendogs ALL of the Nitendogs dont work EU & U, I tried them all, and lost in blue.
I have a report section in my Discord server. I have to admit that the chances of three entire code lists not working for three games is highly unlikely, maybe two or three codes here and there, but there's no way an entire list isn't going to work. You should double check to make sure cheat capabilities are working, then double check to make sure your environment isn't bugging cheats up.

SpyderZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. I'm playing 4 Heroes of Light, and there are codes for the EU version that do not exist for the US version. I know (Assume) I can't just add them to the US game list using r4cce to get them to work (Otherwise why would there be version differences). So my next question is whether or not there's a way to Enable / Disable Cheats on the fly (As the EU Cheats functionally allows), or if there's a way to appropriately modify the cheats in question for the US version.

The specific cheats in question are the "Enable / Disable" Random Encounter cheats from the EU version. The US version just has a "Disable by Default, Press R to Fight", which is fine, but I'd definitely prefer and "On / Off" switch for the majority of the time (The Press R to Fight variant is good for Grinding, but not so good for emulating random encounters without having to focus on it). Adding a trigger to the cheat code in r4cce just appears to "Enable" it, but does not toggle it back off once it has been enabled. Unless I'm somehow doing it wrong.

SpyderZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you trying to add cheats. if so the answer is yes.
Just find the cheat and add that one to that game using that r4 program. The codes are region.
I addded codes for ACWW I got them of the web
I know how to add cheats as I mentioned in my question. The question is whether or not codes from one region can be converted to another. Based on your comment, If you're trying to present and answer I assume you meant "The codes are region *free*"? I tried just copy/pasting the code to the other region and they crashed the game. ;? So "That" answer is not accurate if it's what you meant.

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok as far as I know NO
I tried
The codes HAVE to be from a REGION. There are no REGION FREE codes that i know of
You have to either use EU US or JP codes
unless someone made them
And yea the came will crash. It just means you used the wrong codes.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a issue i did the cheats but pokemon black 2 is the only one that doesnt have cheats on it and i followed it exactly

Hey theres a issue all games have cheats except pokemon black 2 any help
That means you have a bad dump of Pokémon - Black Version 2. You need to get your hands on a clean/proper dump, if you own a copy of the game, it's preferable if you dumped that.

Yewleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get the cheats to work on either pkm platinum or white. I dropped usrdat file into the cheats folder on the r4. When I press X on the game, it gives me access to the cheat selection menu and I have selected several cheats, but when I start the game, there is nothing applied.

I have tried both on an existing game and a new game to see if this was the issue, but neither worked. Is there a button sequence that activates the specific cheats i.e. All Items?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get the cheats to work on either pkm platinum or white. I dropped usrdat file into the cheats folder on the r4. When I press X on the game, it gives me access to the cheat selection menu and I have selected several cheats, but when I start the game, there is nothing applied.

I have tried both on an existing game and a new game to see if this was the issue, but neither worked. Is there a button sequence that activates the specific cheats i.e. All Items?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. Don't use too many codes.
2. Check your kernel settings, Wood for example has cheats disabled by default.

DolphinCube

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres no cheat file for mario party DS for US consoles. Can you fix that?

Also I was hoping for the heartgold/soulsilver codes updated for the player to unlock the GB sounds (like the green man handing it to you in the pokemart). But It's not nessicary

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres no cheat file for mario party DS for US consoles. Can you fix that?

Also I was hoping for the heartgold/soulsilver codes updated for the player to unlock the GB sounds (like the green man handing it to you in the pokemart). But It's not nessicary
Mario Party DS has cheats, you must be using a bad dump of the game, hence why they won't show up.

Yewleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Don't use too many codes.
2. Check your kernel settings, Wood for example has cheats disabled by default.
I only had a couple of item cheats activated. I don't know how to check those settings to see if cheats are enabled. I'm using latest version of wood. At first I figured the select button. May be broken (as it's not really used a lot to test) but that works on the wood menu.

DolphinCube

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That means you have a bad dump of Pokémon - Black Version 2. You need to get your hands on a clean/proper dump, if you own a copy of the game, it's preferable if you dumped that.
Yeah. That fixed it. But I still am hoping for the gb sounds cheat code for heartgold/soulsilver. It was an event item I think

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. That fixed it. But I still am hoping for the gb sounds cheat code for heartgold/soulsilver. It was an event item I think
I will investigate this.
can you make a cheat code for disabling the timer in New Super Mario Bros ds kiosk demo please ? I would be interested.
You can use the disable end screen code instead, this effectively allows you to keep playing.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.