Hacking DeadSkullzJr's NDS(i) Cheat Databases

alevan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Lmao, I plan to eventually, don't worry lol.

2c4wmx.jpg

Reactions: AsPika2219

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember from a long time ago that Kirby Super Star Ultra there was a cheat that was supposed to let you shoot stars any time you wanted, but it looked like you had to turn on 2 cheats to make it work, but the cheats were put into a "select one" menu, making it useless as you could no longer hover and get high enough to get over stuff. It was a long time ago (10+ years?), but it's still probably broken and would be a nice one to fix (via letting you use both cheats at the same time).

Another thing I wanted to point out is that while you have cheats.xml file, the bootstrap for DSimenu++ uses cheat.xml instead. I just thought I would bring that to your attention as you mentioned having to deal with that with the .dat files.

I don't know how long gbaTemp has not been giving me alerts for activity here (a couple months), but I'm glad to see that this project is still going strong.

Edit: Culdcept DS is another game that has cheats that doesn't show for the fan translation.

Last edited by TheTrueDream42,

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember from a long time ago that Kirby Super Star Ultra there was a cheat that was supposed to let you shoot stars any time you wanted, but it looked like you had to turn on 2 cheats to make it work, but the cheats were put into a "select one" menu, making it useless as you could no longer hover and get high enough to get over stuff. It was a long time ago (10+ years?), but it's still probably broken and would be a nice one to fix (via letting you use both cheats at the same time).

Another thing I wanted to point out is that while you have cheats.xml file, the bootstrap for DSimenu++ uses cheat.xml instead. I just thought I would bring that to your attention as you mentioned having to deal with that with the .dat files.

I don't know how long gbaTemp has not been giving me alerts for activity here (a couple months), but I'm glad to see that this project is still going strong.

Edit: Culdcept DS is another game that has cheats that doesn't show for the fan translation.
I do not plan to let this project die anytime soon lol, though no there hasn't been a public update in such a long while, that is because this next update is flipping giant lol, also thanks for letting me know about the cheats, I will have a look at them and see if I can find any information about them. Also for the translation version of that game, do not worry I will add that to the list. Noted cheat.xml.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Figured out what cheats you were talking about for Kirby Super Star Ultra. You simply cannot use the cheats together as the offsets for both of these are the same, which means the cheats would conflict with each other. I enabled both at once and it did not provide any result from the combination, it simply just forced me to use the value of the second cheat to shoot infinite stars. These cheats will remain as single use codes in the "Breathing Mod Codes" folder, by the way this currently already exists within v2.0 of my databases. The cheats are labeled "Can Breathe In" and "Shoots Star Out".

As for the cheat.xml stuff, I contacted Robz to see if maybe he can modify the bootstrap a little bit so it will instead use the cheats.xml database instead since that database is more well known and is commonly used for other various cheating software and cheating devices.

Lastly, I added the fan translation version of Culdcept DS to the databases, will be released in this upcoming update.

Reactions: TheTrueDream42

Kevdog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of these when i go into the cheats i see random Japanese txt and stuff in codes section and codes missing for pokemon games what can i do?

Attachments

• 15296116404551861004322159741462.jpg
    15296116404551861004322159741462.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Valery0p

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As for the cheat.xml stuff, I contacted Robz to see if maybe he can modify the bootstrap a little bit so it will instead use the cheats.xml database instead since that database is more well known and is commonly used for other various cheating software and cheating devices.
FYI, the cheat system is pretty limited for now, and the .xml file doesn't get parsed from bootstap, but from the "GUI", Dsimenu++(which iirc should use the same code from nitrohax, with the same limitations probably?); I say GUI in quotes because because it doesn't have any interface for selecting them, it just passes everything it finds to bootstrap, so it can't really use a so large database right now.
For more informations:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/issues/200

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright everyone, today I am proud to say that I am near complete for the v2.1 update, there are a few things I still want to cover so things aren't released all in a mess and what not. NOW is the time for you guys to start dishing out some ideas of ROM hacks or fan translated versions of games you all enjoy so I can add them to the databases :P. During this process of course I will keep my eye on any new DS games or ROM hacks that pop up on the net so I can add those to the databases and of course do my best to get some cheats for those working as well. All I can say is I hope the changelog doesn't cause any problems when pasting it into the topic, I would hate to be stopped by a character/word cap limit lol.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,
Reactions: TheTrueDream42

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you work out the stargate 3ds cheats?

Great work btw :)
I have been working on it for quite some time, there is actually a line of code to initiate the cheats, however it just doesn't seem to initiate at all when using it on the 3DS. It uses usrcheat though like most carts do. Also Thanks!

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working on it for quite some time, there is actually a line of code to initiate the cheats, however it just doesn't seem to initiate at all when using it on the 3DS. It uses usrcheat though like most carts do. Also Thanks!

Shame, i still use mine as a easy quick way to play un adulerated .3ds roms, even though my N3ds xl has cfw, and it even works for .nds games with the edited luma boot file. Just a shame the dicks that made it never bothered with any updates or support.

you deserve thanks for all the time you put into the cheat files.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shame, i still use mine as a easy quick way to play un adulerated .3ds roms, even though my N3ds xl has cfw, and it even works for .nds games with the edited luma boot file. Just a shame the dicks that made it never bothered with any updates or support.

you deserve thanks for all the time you put into the cheat files.
I already brought it to the Stargate 3DS devs attention about the cheat issue, found out that the kernel it uses has some game compatibility issues as well since it is using an older version of Wood R4. I am sure that cheats would have at least solved that problem but since that doesn't work yet, eh yea we both know where this is going lol. "you deserve thanks for all the time you put into the cheat files." I appreciate your compliment, I just wish cheats were as big to the community as homebrew and what not are. I hate when people completely leave these things behind and call it obsolete. They may be old but they definitely aren't obsolete, flashcarts themselves in my opinion still have a good purpose regardless of CFW.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I already brought it to the Stargate 3DS devs attention about the cheat issue, found out that the kernel it uses has some game compatibility issues as well since it is using an older version of Wood R4. I am sure that cheats would have at least solved that problem but since that doesn't work yet, eh yea we both know where this is going lol. "you deserve thanks for all the time you put into the cheat files." I appreciate your compliment, I just wish cheats were as big to the community as homebrew and what not are. I hate when people completely leave these things behind and call it obsolete. They may be old but they definitely aren't obsolete, flashcarts themselves in my opinion still have a good purpose regardless of CFW.

Well cheats or not, i'll be keeping the stargate, its so simple to dump a .3ds file on it and play, no converting to cia etc etc, and so easy to switch between game files.
does any other form of wood work on it, that cheats work on?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well cheats or not, i'll be keeping the stargate, its so simple to dump a .3ds file on it and play, no converting to cia etc etc, and so easy to switch between game files.
does any other form of wood work on it, that cheats work on?
Nope, the reason why is because this version of the kernel is coded to use the on board chip of the Stargate, hence why you can't slap the Stargate kernel on anything else and vise versa. That is basically trying to use the DSTWO kernel on an original R4 flashcart, simply won't happen due to how the kernel was coded for that specific flashcart.

Tigger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, the reason why is because this version of the kernel is coded to use the on board chip of the Stargate, hence why you can't slap the Stargate kernel on anything else and vise versa. That is basically trying to use the DSTWO kernel on an original R4 flashcart, simply won't happen due to how the kernel was coded for that specific flashcart.

Would you mind having a look at this for me please?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-r4-clone-is-this.509214/

Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive