Status
Not open for further replies.

WrathofSeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. bad news for people like me who heard about this and had to wait for the powersave to get to us. hopefully they put the codes back!

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure your post is based on complete and total proof.

Considering they removed codes instead of adding them; plus the fact that their typical means of operation is to make a few codes and move on to new games - exactly what they did with the Action Replay. The only reason there was good codes is because those were user created.

Reactions: Sheimi

Corey103

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering they removed codes instead of adding them; plus the fact that their typical means of operation is to make a few codes and move on to new games - exactly what they did with the Action Replay. The only reason there was good codes is because those were user created.

There's plenty of reasons that are possible.
Theres an error in the database.
They are optimizing the code(s).
They are removing them in favor of a better code (Why would I need 999 latiosite?)
These are just a few reasons I can think up.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure it makes sense that Nintendo would have them pull those items and NOT everything else. Actually, that makes zero sense at all. If Nintendo has leverage here, they would use said leverage to remove it all completely.

Now, it's entirely possible that Nintendo made a formal request of Datel. I read somewhere (maybe here) that Datel had codes for EV/IV manipulation, however they didn't want to release them because they could potentially ruin the game. Same can be said about obtaining items that are unobtainable by any means (currently) other than using their device. Making a monster shiny doesn't give you a competitive edge. Still, getting 999 of virtually any item certainly does, so that leaves me scratching my head.

Of course there is another possibility as well. Datel may be saving these codes for the upcoming release of the "pro" version of their hardware. That would be rather sleazy, if true. Not really feeling the likelihood of that last one, but hey, we are sitting here spinning rumors, so I may as well add my own. :P

They are removing them in favor of a better code (Why would I need 999 latiosite?)

Sure, I guess. But it is suspect that literally everything that is currently unavailable in the game was taken down (and nothing else was), is it not?

I am not saying you are wrong, but that would be some coincidence.

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Error in the database for 3 specific codes - of which are the only ones that aren't possible through normal ingame play?
Optimizing what? What would they optimize about Lati@site or the simple form change code? They were working fine.
Other 999 item codes for the other Mega Stones would be removed too.

The sudden reversal is obviously due to Nintendo exerting pressure on Datel to not allow players to obtain illegal/unreleased things in their games. Why else would Datel remove some of their most attractive codes?

If I had to guess, Nintendo might have threatened court action if they didn't remove those 3 codes and ceased making illegal codes. They'd allow the others as to not give Datel a reason to sue back -- the only things they wanted removed were the ones that allowed illegal modifications; the rest were all ease of use codes which weren't very gamebreaking. If nobody hears back from Datel, there might have been a 'hush' clause as well.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Error in the database for 3 specific codes - of which are the only ones that aren't possible through normal ingame play?
Optimizing what? What would they optimize about Lati@site or the simple form change code? They were working fine.
Other 999 item codes for the other Mega Stones would be removed too.

The sudden reversal is obviously due to Nintendo exerting pressure on Datel to not allow players to obtain illegal/unreleased things in their games.

I don't know that it's obvious. Why would Nintendo or GF simply say "do all the hacking you want EXCEPT for unreleased stuff". Does that make any sense? No... not really.

Reactions: kyogre123

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Also, how is cheating in a videogame something that can be settle in court? come on!

Sometimes it seems that people seriously forget this is a videogame.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, how is cheating in a videogame something that can be settle in court? come on!

Sometimes it seems that people seriously forget this is a videogame.
Its Nintendo's intellectual property. They can deem it unfit to use and more importantly that Datel is smearing their image releasing this IP without their permission.

Just a guess.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to guess, Nintendo might have threatened court action if they didn't remove those 3 codes and ceased making illegal codes. They'd allow the others as to not give Datel a reason to sue back -- the only things they wanted removed were the ones that allowed illegal modifications; the rest were all ease of use codes which weren't very gamebreaking. If nobody hears back from Datel, there might have been a 'hush' clause as well.

Can you explain how these codes are illegal? There is a fair use law, at least in the US, presumably in the UK (where these guys are headqurtered) as well. Simply put, if you are only modifiying a couple bytes of code that makes up gigabytes in total, that would be covered under fair use. Further, Action replay has been around for DECADES. Do you really think that Nintendo waited until NOW to care about this? What about all of the websites that serve up pre-made pokemon for previous versions of the game? And sites that sell freely list roms of games that are, to this day, being re-released on virtual console? There are way bigger fish to fry. It simply doesn't add up.

Datel is really bad at getting back to people with technical problems. I "fixed" my issues connecting the game, but it's been over a week when I emailed them and I haven;t received a response. From what i read, responses from them are like unicorns. I think you are reading into this too much.

Its Nintendo's intellectual property. They can deem it unfit to use and more importantly that Datel is smearing their image releasing this IP without their permission.

Just a guess.

I mean they can take Datel to court for just about any reason (as can any other company), but this would absolutely fit into "fair use" guidelines. It is the exact reason rooting/jailbreaking smartphones is deemed legal.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Just a guess.

I don't know, I cannot agree since this is something that can only be obtained via game, which is different from when someone reveals stuff of a game that hasn't been released, but oh well, maybe they could argue that it's affecting their marketing or something like that...

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you explain how these codes are illegal? There is a fair use law, at least in the US, presumably in the UK (where these guys are headqurtered) as well. Simply put, if you are only modifiying a couple bytes of code that makes up gigabytes in total, that would be covered under fair use. Further, Action replay has been around for DECADES. Do you really think that Nintendo waited until NOW to care about this? What about all of the websites that serve up pre-made pokemon for previous versions of the game? And sites that sell freely list roms of games that are, to this day, being re-released on virtual console? There are way bigger fish to fry. It simply doesn't add up.

Datel is really bad at getting back to people with technical problems. I "fixed" my issues connecting the game, but it's been over a week when I emailed them and I haven;t received a response. From what i read, responses from them are like unicorns. I think you are reading into this too much.

Unreleased content that can be used against unwitting players. Times are different relative to 20 years ago when all multiplayer gaming was confined to the same room & console.

Datel has a monopoly and Nintendo can attempt to shut it down; in past gens where there were multiple public solutions to unlock data, X/Y are different. Doesn't take that much effort to threaten a lawsuit. X/Y is their current gen top tier title, protecting their content while it still is a few months post release is in their best interest.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unreleased content that can be used against unwitting players. Times are different relative to 20 years ago when all multiplayer gaming was confined to the same room & console.

Datel has a monopoly and Nintendo can attempt to shut it down; in past gens where there were multiple public solutions to unlock data, X/Y are different. Doesn't take that much effort to threaten a lawsuit. X/Y is their current gen top tier title, protecting their content while it still is a few months post release is in their best interest.

So you think that the reason Nintendo cares more this gen than the previous gens is because Datel has a monopoly on the hack? That is... outlandish. It's not even the true definition of Monopoly, actually. By those standards a person could go after Nintendo for having a Monopoly on Pokemon.

One thing we can agree on is that it doesn't take much to threaten a lawsuit. But if that is where we are going it is HIGHLY dubious that Nintendo would simply stop there and not just want to take the whole thing down. I am almost certain that is not at all what is happening here. What I am NOT certain of is what actually is happening.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
So you think that the reason Nintendo cares more this gen than the previous gens is because Datel has a monopoly on the hack? That is... outlandish. It's not even the true definition of Monopoly, actually. By those standards a person could go after Nintendo for having a Monopoly on Pokemon.

One thing we can agree on is that it doesn't take much to threaten a lawsuit. But if that is where we are going it is HIGHLY dubious that Nintendo would simply stop there and not just want to take the whole thing down. I am almost certain that is not at all what is happening here. What I am NOT certain of is what actually is happening.
This is a product being sold at Gamestop, their retail partner. Nintendo doesn't want to piss off one of their business allies trying to scrub one of Gamestop's more profitable accessories. The DSi action replay even used a flashcard like game spoof using copyrighted nintendo code * and Nintendo never bothered to block it like they did other flashcards.

There may also have been a lawsuit in earlier days concerning cheat devices and Nintendo lost, but my memory is foggy on that one.

*3 2 1 ... and that lawsuit never came of course

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt that they are worried about a game shop either. Let's be realistic. How many of these things is each store going to sell. Maybe a couple hundred? Thousand? Nintendo isn't going to look the blind eye because some store that sells their products profits off of a product that they have on the market. That's just seems silly.

For what it's worth, the powersaves might very well be using copyrighted code too. After all it is literally rewriting the entire save.

In any case, something doesn't add up here. Interested to see what it is. If I were a betting man, I would say this likely doesn;t have to due with Nintendo's lawsuits.

Another possibility is that they are only allowing the 'PRO" version of the Powersaves access to the unreleased code in order to tempt more people to get it.

Possible I guess, but a pretty sleasey practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo