Homebrew DaedalusX64 3DS compatibility thread. (unofficial)

Should I replace this thread with a Google Sheet?

• Yes

Votes: 34 91.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to boot some games. I love this emulator because N64 games look great on the (New) 3DS screen but frame rate is quite bad on the current version. I wonder how much optimisation can be achieved in order to run games at 30 fps considering the limited power of New Nintendo 3DS. I mean, is it technically possible to run games at 30 fps somehow? Second question, is there a rom format that is better for this emulator?

Some ideas:
original aspect ratio option
turn lower screen off
is it possible to avoid sound choppiness when frame rate is slow so our ears don't bleed?
button mapping

Thanks to MasterFeizz for this and also thanks to the testing guys around here! :)

EDIT:

Extreme-G and Extreme-G 2 run almost smooth but the first game has rendering issues and the second crashed when I pressed L.

Last edited by Waveracer,
Reactions: SLiV3R and Hambrew

Isegrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I managed to boot some games. I love this emulator because N64 games look great on the (New) 3DS screen but frame rate is quite bad on the current version. I wonder how much optimisation can be achieved in order to run games at 30 fps considering the limited power of New Nintendo 3DS. I mean, is it technically possible to run games at 30 fps somehow? Second question, is there a rom format that is better for this emulator?

Some ideas:
original aspect ratio option
turn lower screen off
is it possible to avoid sound choppiness when frame rate is slow so our ears don't bleed?
button mapping

Thanks to MasterFeizz for this and also thanks to the testing guys around here! :)

This is probably the wrong threat to ask for features and exchange ideas about it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-daedalusx64-n64-emulator.562195/

Keep in mind this version of D64 is in a very.. very early state (0.2. with Dynarec). It's not even close to a 1.0 release.
So, many games probably just need a lot of individual and time consuming optimization down the road. Even though the results went in a insanely short amount of time from proof of concept to a working release is already impressive.

Look at this that way: they're sharing it despite the early stage without any quality of life changes and the lack of standard options, which is quite normal at this stage I assume..
Those kind of features usually follow when a release is much more practical to use. It's just a matter of time. I personally would rather see an increase in optimization and stability at this point.

Last edited by Isegrim,
Reactions: Zense and Hambrew

siamese

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
tested in my O3DS XL, hope this goes to the compatibility spredsheet. N64 test roms

nusnake.n64 gives controller pak error message, then press b for no play save, freeze on pause screen

spritemonkeyEX.n64 freezes to black screen . system must be restarted pressing power button
sprite.n64 freezes to black screen system must be restarted pressing power button
mirror_house.n64 freeze to black screen, fps 3.83. system must be restarted pressing power

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nusnake.n64 gives controller pak error message, then press b for no play save, freeze on pause screen
spritemonkeyEX.n64 freezes to black screen . system must be restarted pressing power button
sprite.n64 freezes to black screen system must be restarted pressing power button
mirror_house.n64 freeze to black screen, fps 3.83. system must be restarted pressing power
What are the game's actually called / Are these homebrew apps?

Waveracer

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably the wrong threat to ask for features and exchange ideas about it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-daedalusx64-n64-emulator.562195/

Keep in mind this version of D64 is in a very.. very early state (0.2. with Dynarec). It's not even close to a 1.0 release.
So, many games probably just need a lot of individual and time consuming optimization down the road. Even though the results went in a insanely short amount of time from proof of concept to a working release is already impressive.

Look at this that way: they're sharing it despite the early stage without any quality of life changes and the lack of standard options, which is quite normal at this stage I assume..
Those kind of features usually follow when a release is much more practical to use. It's just a matter of time. I personally would rather see an increase in optimization and stability at this point.

I agree but I don't really understand why you're telling me this, I acknowledged that this is a preliminary version, I'm just giving my own ideas as other people do. I could have done that on the other thread but since this is the thread for sharing tests I preferred not to split my comment into two parts on two different threads. I don't think that it really matters, I just shared my impressions after testing rarer games. Besides, I think that it's much better to share ideas as soon as they come so they can be considered since the beginning and not wait for a final release to share them. On top of that, I also discussed optimisation (literally) and what could be achieved considering New 3DS limited power and how far can the emulator go in this regard. Anyway, I can share my suggestions on the other thread, no problem with that.

Last edited by Waveracer,
Reactions: Hambrew

Marcogn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi! I've tried .n64 PAL version, latest Luma, dsp dumped, version 0.2 on N3DSXL of:
Super Mario 64 - works great
Mario Kart 64 - works great
Pokemon Stadium - doesn't boot
Pokemon Stadium 2 - heavy graphical glitches, unplayable
Pokemon Snap - For some reason I can't move around while taking photo, I can only take pictures in front of me. Also, the screen is green when 'zoomed' before shutter.

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I've tried .n64 PAL version, latest Luma, dsp dumped, version 0.2 on N3DSXL of:
Super Mario 64 - works great
Mario Kart 64 - works great
Pokemon Stadium - doesn't boot
Pokemon Stadium 2 - heavy graphical glitches, unplayable
Pokemon Snap - For some reason I can't move around while taking photo, I can only take pictures in front of me. Also, the screen is green when 'zoomed' before shutter.
check the spreadsheet, ok?

Isegrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
0.2 beta, current Luma
PT = Playtime

Some more oddball games

Custom Robo (J) (English Patched) - IN GAME - playable (still runs pretty slow in 3D game play, very minor player sprite bug) PT=3m

Wonder Project J2 (Japan) - IN GAME - unplayable (due to heavy slow downs maybe caused by audio problems?!) PT=3m

Mini Racers (J) (English Patched) - CRASHES in menu

Taz Express (U) (Proto type) - CRASHES in menu

Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh (Japan) - CRASHES in menu

Bomberman - Arcade Edition (J) (English Patched) - CRASHES in menu

Last Legion UX (J) (English Patched) - CRASHES in menu

Hambrew

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about a compatibility list for the O3DS?
I did my best to merge it using comments. Essentially, for every game, people put a comment on whether fits the columns:
  1. Crash on Boot
  2. Low FPS + Major Glitches
  3. Low FPS + Minor Glitches
  4. Low FPS
  5. High FPS + Major Glitches
  6. High FPS + Minor Glitches
  7. High FPS
And then in the comment, they note what version of DX64 is used, if it's on an Old 3DS or New 3DS, if it's PAL or NTSC, and then other notes.

Ender3Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All right. Here goes my testing so far:
Super Mario 64: Runs well, consistent 20-30fps in-game with lower FPS on transitions/loading screens. Note that a few objects such as stars do not always have textures.
Ocarina of Time: Low FPS, especially during the opening cutscenes, runs at 10-20fps with frameskip auto 1. Sound is terrible and Link's house is missing textures on the inside.
Mario Kart 64: Runs very well with consistent 20-30 FPS. No graphical glitches whatsoever as far as I've noticed.
Majora's Mask: Freezes immediately after pressing start on the start screen.
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: Freeze on launch.
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire: Freeze on launch.
Star Fox 64: Plays fairly well with consistent 20-30 FPS. FPS does drop on the map where you select planets, but the game overall works very well.
Forsaken 64: Consistent 30FPS with no graphical issues whatsoever. Runs perfectly.
F-Zero X: Consistent 20-30FPS in-game, but most vehicles are missing textures.
Starcraft 64: Freeze on launch
Goldeneye 007: Runs with no graphical issues, but cannot maintain above 10FPS. Practically unplayable.
Perfect Dark: Crash during the intro. Note that the N64 logo is textureless.

All these roms are USA region, run on my North American N2DSXL with both N3DS CPU and L2 Cache enabled.
Daedalus 64 version is 0.2 3DSX build.

Reactions: AutumnWolf

Rulexx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here are my tested games:

San Francisco Rush (Europe): runs very slow approx 16fps + Menu glitches
Rush 2 Extreme Racing (Europe): runs very slow appro 16-18fps + bad sound
Rush 2049 (Europe): console freezes when race starts.

New 2DS XL with DaedalusX64 beta 0.2

Last edited by Rulexx,

Isegrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Pretty much all of these games on this page, especially the popular ones, are already tested just 1 page or 2 pages prior to this with the current 0.2 beta.

When the next update drops, it will make more sense to test the same games over and over again ;)

1) Please check previous pages

2) add region of your tested roms..

3) Happy testing :)

Last edited by Isegrim,
Reactions: Hambrew

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Old 3DS:
Super Mario 64: 6 - 20FPS ( 15fps most of the time )
~ LOW FPS ~ ( Playable with Auto Frameskip 2 )

F-Zero X: 10 ~ 50 FPS ( 18fps most of the time )
~LOW FPS ~

Mario Party 3: 10 ~ 22fps
~LOW FPS ~

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The update actually made zoom better