CycloDS Evolution Review

dnzperson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I agree with the score. Sure, the evo has more features - but it's really just building on the breakthroughs that the R4 made.

But I think if the R4 was re-reviewed it would/should get a slightly lower score, just due to the fact that there is now something better than it.

I also think that it would be a good idea to implement a more transparent scoring system. You could brake down the score into sections, like hardware (duribility etc), ds game support, homebrew, download play, extra features (like cheats/card reader etc), interface, reviewers tilt and inovation. Or you could have less and just go with Hardware, Software, Features, Reviewer Tilt. Reviewer tilt would just be how the reviewer felt about the product, whether the felt it was worth the money, if it's innovative etc.

From those sections you would give your final score. A support section could even be added, which starts with a base value of 5/10 (depending on expected for support) and in/decreases depend on the actual product support/improvements.

A lot of other review sites have a system similar to this and it would stop people from complaining about bias because the components of the review score would be very clear.

For example: the evo and R4 might get a 9/10 for feature and hardware, they might get evo (10/10) and R4 (9/10) for software, but evo (8/10) and R4 (10/10) for reviewer tilt/innovation - which would give a final score of evo (9/10) and R4 (9.25/10) scores would be rounded of coure so that would give R4 a final rating of 9.2/10.

Later, scores would be adjusted with the support category. Because evo just came out (and because the company it not just an upstart that nobody's heard of) it gets a 7.5/10, but the R4 would get a 10/10. Add these in to come up with the adjusted scores of evo 8.7 and R4 9.4.

The initial support score would change depending on the company and their reputation - but the good thing is that it is easy for people to see and the reviewer could give a break down on why they gave each section the score they did.

Another modification would be that each section would have to be reviewed against what the reviewer feels is 100% perpect in each category, rather than by comparing it to the compotition. So for example, if download play is only 50% working, it gets a 5/10. And if the user interface is really great, but has 1 or 2 minor flaws it can only get a 9.9, not a 10.

Obviously, what the reveiwer would class as 100% perpect would change depending on what the other cart makers are doing, but the reviewer would also need to think about what could be done in future.

Again, even though a review is the reviewers opinion and everyone is different, like a said above - the most important part of this is that the reader understands how the reviewer scored the product so they can make their own decisions. This is the main flaw I see with the GBAtemp system.

But remember, this site is always improving so I'm sure if the staff think there's a problem they'll try to fix it. This is just how I would do it and how I feel the score system would work best.

Once again, I agree with the score that shaun gave the evo. And if anyone else thinks like I do and feels that what I wrote above sounds good, please let me know
biggrin.gif

P.S. Sorry for the loooong post!
wink.gif

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This review is terribly unfair and just flat out biased. They knock off points for shit like no freebies (despite the fact that freebie sd reader included with the R4 kills sd cards) and bugs with features (enhanced game menu) that other carts don't even have! The color one is just a joke. The only legitimate - point listed is build quality issues.

I demand the cart be re-rated.

EDIT: I see everyone else has already touched on this - carry on.

bestperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a cyclo ds evolution updated with the latest firmware and i can't get it to play a lot of games. some games work fine. tbut, i can't get it to metroid prime hunters, and goldeneye and the new zelda game. they act like they are loading up but then just go to a white screen and freeze. do i need to patch roms for the cyclo ds evolution? moonshell works fine and a lot of other games work fine. dawn of sorrow works fine. sim city ds works fine. mario kart works fine. any help is appreciated it. i am a noob

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
Awesome review I agree that the note should be the same as the R4 at least but who cares
wink.gif
Your review was very good with smart tests and it was a good start for a purchase.

I just want to let you know that Lemmings DS v7.04 Full is working fine now with few seconds for loading & decompressing the huge database but without any white screen ;-)

Zelda and Metroid Hunters works fine also. Try perhaps to clean space on your card or check if there is no corruption since both games need a space for on load saving. Avois cheap cards too. My 2 cents

Zephkel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a newb to the flash card scene, but in the review it says that "future operating system files will need to be flashed." What exactly does that mean?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
it means the CylcoDS evo works with a firmware.
There is an onboard memory chip which needs to be flashed (written) when you want to update it.
Of course, the CycloDS evo operating system handles the firmware updates itself, but if you happen to accidentally turn off your DS while updating your firmware, it would probably brick (destroy) the cart.

edit: what monkey01 said below is true too
biggrin.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm a newb to the flash card scene, but in the review it says that "future operating system files will need to be flashed." What exactly does that mean?
It means that new firmwares will be installed to the CycloDS card, so if you put in another MicroSD card, you'll still have the latest installed firmware. In cards like R4, the newer firmwares are only stored on the MicroSD itself...

quartercast

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Of course, the CycloDS evo operating system handles the firmware updates itself, but if you happen to accidentally turn off your DS while updating your firmware, it would probably brick (destroy) the cart.

That's untrue... turning your DS off while updating the Evo firmware does NOT brick it. It will simply revert to the previous FW version.

Kaboom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to point out, I recieved a defective CycloDS card, and if you go to the forums at teamcyclops.com you will see a lot of posts with similiar problems. They claim it only affects like 1%, and they are prompt about getting in contact with you to get a replacement, but it's still something to be concerned about. As it is, with modchipstore.com sitting on my order for a week before shipping it, it's gonna wind up taking the better part of a month to get a working flash card.

Mind-Rot

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd just like to point out, I recieved a defective CycloDS card, and if you go to the forums at teamcyclops.com you will see a lot of posts with similiar problems. They claim it only affects like 1%, and they are prompt about getting in contact with you to get a replacement, but it's still something to be concerned about. As it is, with modchipstore.com sitting on my order for a week before shipping it, it's gonna wind up taking the better part of a month to get a working flash card.

This happened to me also, I bought 2 CycloDS Evo carts from acegamestore.com and found one of them was faulty 'out of the box' while the other worked perfectly.

I have sent an email to both acegamestore.com and teamcyclops, they have both gotten back to me stating to send them the faulty cart for a replacement. I'm still concidering who to send the cart back to... Will probably send it back to acegamestore as their store is in Australia which would only end up taking maybe a week there and back...

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd just like to point out, I recieved a defective CycloDS card, and if you go to the forums at teamcyclops.com you will see a lot of posts with similiar problems. They claim it only affects like 1%, and they are prompt about getting in contact with you to get a replacement, but it's still something to be concerned about. As it is, with modchipstore.com sitting on my order for a week before shipping it, it's gonna wind up taking the better part of a month to get a working flash card.

Not that bad of a problem. I had a defective unit from gp2xstore.com. Sent to Australia in 5 days, then it was sent back to Hong Kong to the factory. I provided proof that I had sent it, so they sent me a replacement before they had even gotten it! Sent by UPS express, and I got it in 3 days. Using it right now
smile.gif

fydo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great review!

I do have one quick question though:
Does this card support Wii connectivity? i.e. connecting up to play with Pokemon Battle Revolution.

I would think that new reviews coming out would test for that as it's apparently going to be a pretty big feature in the future.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9