Gaming CVG Reviews Mario Kart 7 And Says It’s The Best Mario Kart Game Ever

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
meh another mario kart game.......

yeah it's kinda like COD. Add a few things here and there and call it new.

Basically the same game in new clothing

But just like Call of Duty, there's different weapons power ups, maps tracks, and some new mechanics here and there.

Yes, I was defending both Call of Duty and Mario Kart there, not insulting one or both.

D

Deleted User

meh another mario kart game.......

yeah it's kinda like COD. Add a few things here and there and call it new.

Basically the same game in new clothing

But just like Call of Duty, there's different weapons power ups, maps tracks, and some new mechanics here and there.

Yes, I was defending both Call of Duty and Mario Kart there, not insulting one or both.
Call of Duty doesn't get new mechanics.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Hmm... not really sure what to say about the downsizing of grand prix... did the DS version not support 8 player online? If it didn't, then I guess it makes sense, cutting down on the max racers to support more online.

Besides, it probably doesn't look like it, but MK7 looks like it'll need all the 3DS' muscle (or what little it has, as some would argue) to pump out 60FPS of 8player online mayhem.

Still, 12 racers all having a go at each other was pretty damn fun, but in the end it's definitely just a few front runners vying for the top spot, with the rest just throwing anything they can to spoil their fun.

What do you mean by downsizing of grand prix?

The DS version only supported 4 player online, that's a good boost to 8 player online. Online sure be much fun now compared to the DS version.

I'm glad they got rid of the Wii gimmicks like the raincloud, mega mushroom and the pow block!
by downsizing I meant going from 12 racers (including AI) down to 8 racers (human or AI). i wasn't really sure about MKDS' online, since i can't remember if i've ever been against seven other players when i used to play online (well, the few times that i did, everybody snaked or cheated).

anyways, super excited on this one. i'm liking everything about it so far. heck, if this and Revelations came out at around the same time, i'd choose this. but then i'd probably make ridiculous loans so i can get Revelations as well. :D

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm... not really sure what to say about the downsizing of grand prix... did the DS version not support 8 player online? If it didn't, then I guess it makes sense, cutting down on the max racers to support more online.

Besides, it probably doesn't look like it, but MK7 looks like it'll need all the 3DS' muscle (or what little it has, as some would argue) to pump out 60FPS of 8player online mayhem.

Still, 12 racers all having a go at each other was pretty damn fun, but in the end it's definitely just a few front runners vying for the top spot, with the rest just throwing anything they can to spoil their fun.

The DS version only supported 4 player online, that's a good boost to 8 player online. Online sure be much fun now compared to the DS version.

I'm glad they got rid of the Wii gimmicks like the raincloud, mega mushroom and the pow block!
by downsizing I meant going from 12 racers (including AI) down to 8 racers (human or AI). i wasn't really sure about MKDS' online, since i can't remember if i've ever been against seven other players when i used to play online (well, the few times that i did, everybody snaked or cheated).

anyways, super excited on this one. i'm liking everything about it so far. heck, if this and Revelations came out at around the same time, i'd choose this. but then i'd probably make ridiculous loans so i can get Revelations as well. :D

Umm MarioKart DS always had 8 racer on local WiFi connection or even single player in-game, unless you're comparing to Wii version 12 player racer. This is a handheld so I'd only compare it to something closer such as the DS, not a home console. :P

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what a surprise seeing guild people bashing a videogame, even more surprising is seeing him them bashing a nintendo game...
i wont be picking this game at launch, but it will be in my collection eventually

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well after watching the Iwata asks video on the Nintendo site and all the preview trailers of the game I pre-ordered it yesterday. And don't forget to tell Nintendo you intend to buy it to get the extra 10 gold coins on the Nintendo club. Forgot to do that with Super Mario Land 3d.... Oh well............. Back to Need for Speed - The Run 3DS playing the hell out of it.

Hanks6

Trophies
XP
Country
still 50/50 whether to buy this and a 3DS this week, having played every Mario Kart in the series on day one. i'm sorely dissapointed Nintendo have completely killed off what became a core gameplay/handling mechanic in the series - ability to generate your own mini turbos, or 'snaking' to use a more loaded term. this is what made multiplayer games and time trialling so much fun in MK64, DD, MKDS (when playing with good players).

Nintendo definitely tried to please the casual crowd (to be fair this is most people that play MK) when they neutered MT generating ability in the Wii version. Personally I think the Wii version is the worst version by a long shot. It had no depth and world record/time trialling didn't progress like the earlier versions (people are still going hard at DD/MKDS). The fact that some reviewers are referring to Double Dash as a low point in the series or that 'snaking' only existed in the DS version shows they have no idea what they're talking about.

I think this will be better than the Wii version, maybe a lot better, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the high points in the series, which I'd consider to be Double Dash and MKDS. Hopefully there are some cool skill based mechanics to be discovered to reward better players, but sliding is always gonna be more fun :) Any thoughts?

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
still 50/50 whether to buy this and a 3DS this week, having played every Mario Kart in the series on day one. i'm sorely dissapointed Nintendo have completely killed off what became a core gameplay/handling mechanic in the series - ability to generate your own mini turbos, or 'snaking' to use a more loaded term. this is what made multiplayer games and time trialling so much fun in MK64, DD, MKDS (when playing with good players).

I agree that using snaking in the DS version was fun when trying to get a good timetrail time but online against other players it ruined the experience for me, I highly prefer the risk/reward gameplay of the wii version when sliding round a tight corner because you have to time it right to get the full boost and there is always the risk of getting hit by an item.

Having snaking is just like "oh if i mess up this corner i could always just snake a bunch of times to catch up" and snaking isnt that hard to learn and trust me iv played mario kart DS online and watching 2 people just slide from side to side the whole race gets BORING when you compare it with the wii version of everyone sliding round the corner at the same time, trying to weave in and out each other to avoid items.

Hanks6

Trophies
XP
Country
^^ hell naw there's a lot of difference between just sliding slide to slide and having mastered the technique where you can do it non-stop with perfect racing line and adapt to everything on the fly. you still have to concentrate on item strategy, same room for error as nobody doing it. and i'm only really talking about racing against people who were very good at the earlier games, not your casual player. get a group of these people going at it and that's the most exciting multi you can get in MK. i agree it's good to remove it for the wider audience to level out online play but only because most people aren't very good.

sliding to generate MTs is the best and most satisfying handling mechanic in the mario kart series. the technique defines the gameplay of MK64, Double Dash, MKDS. Wii version is just terrible compared to those classics :D

just something about racing games and going as fast as possible :D

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Umm MarioKart DS always had 8 racer on local WiFi connection or even single player in-game, unless you're comparing to Wii version 12 player racer. This is a handheld so I'd only compare it to something closer such as the DS, not a home console. :P
well that clears things up then.

...i deserve a facepalm, don't I? :P well, goes to show how long it's been since i've played MKDS.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
B-But does it have Waluigi!?
From what I've heard....no, he is not one of the starting or unlockable 8 characters.
Make way for Queen Bee and Wiggler instead!
*cancelles pre-order*

They took Waluigi out for a freaking bee and a worm!? Whoever made that choice deserves to be shot!

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Nintendo definitely tried to please the casual crowd (to be fair this is most people that play MK) when they neutered MT generating ability in the Wii version. Personally I think the Wii version is the worst version by a long shot. It had no depth and world record/time trialling didn't progress like the earlier versions (people are still going hard at DD/MKDS). The fact that some reviewers are referring to Double Dash as a low point in the series or that 'snaking' only existed in the DS version shows they have no idea what they're talking about.

I think this will be better than the Wii version, maybe a lot better, but I can't imagine it'll be anywhere near the high points in the series, which I'd consider to be Double Dash and MKDS. Hopefully there are some cool skill based mechanics to be discovered to reward better players, but sliding is always gonna be more fun :) Any thoughts?
What I like about this review at CVG is that the author recognises MKW was too casual. "For all that was good about Mario Kart Wii, you couldn't in a month of shy guys claim that it was much of a competitive racer." and he later says how MK7 manages to fix it, so that gives me hope. He seems like he actually knows kart. So I think you're right, it shouldn't be as bad. It does share the same MT mechanics though, so it won't be a drastic reform.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, :creep: