Hacking Custom WADs with firmware 3.3

CambridgeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems that custom WAD files can be installed on firmware 3.3 (ok, so i haven't tested this, but i presume this is the case, judging by what has been said on these forums)

what i don't get is how this is possible: when a wad has been changed in any way, it has to be signed with trucha. but the new update blocks trucha signatures. so how can these wads still be installed?

or... have i got this all wrong? does the new firmware block custom wads?

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
WB3000 said:
Shuny said:
From what I know, WADs files DOES NOT use a Trucha signature.

Anything repacked for the Wii uses Trucha.

Oh hum sorry I thought it was using some ticket bug to install
frown.gif

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that the wii os doesn't check games that are already installed. If you were to try to copy to wad via the wii's sd managment then it'd fail, but since we install via a wad installer, which bypasses the oses normal wad install procedure, it is ok.

It's sorta like how the gecko region free app lets you run trucha backups.... the program is ran from within the homebrew channel/ect and NOT loaded via a normal insertion and thus normal disc checking does not apply.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
installed channel rely on the Signature Bug to be installed on the Wii

but the fact is:

1/ the fixed IOS & system menu does not care about the signature of already installed channels (quite a luck, otherwise, bye bye HBC)

2/ every application on your wii (discs or channels) is using a dedicated IOS (firmware version), based on the info in their header. This IOS is reloaded when the application boots and everything after that depends on that particular IOS version. So, if the application is using an IOS version that does NOT have the Trucha bug patched, you can still install signed content through his application.

To resume, when you install a new channel WAD, you are doing this through an installed application (WAD manager channel or WAD manager through HBC) which use an IOS version which does no thave the Trucha Bug Fixed..

StuMcBill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So does this mean I can use injected VC WADS on my 3.3E firmware Wii, if they are installed using Wanikokos (or however you spell it) WAD manager, because it bypasses the normal Wii install procedure and installs itself on the Channel Menu (which doesn't check what is already installed)?

Stu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro