Custom WADs with firmware 3.3

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CambridgeGuy, Jun 24, 2008.

Jun 24, 2008
  1. CambridgeGuy
    OP

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    It seems that custom WAD files can be installed on firmware 3.3 (ok, so i haven't tested this, but i presume this is the case, judging by what has been said on these forums)

what i don't get is how this is possible: when a wad has been changed in any way, it has to be signed with trucha. but the new update blocks trucha signatures. so how can these wads still be installed?

or... have i got this all wrong? does the new firmware block custom wads?

2. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    From what I know, WADs files DOES NOT use a Trucha signature.

3. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Anything repacked for the Wii uses Trucha.

4. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    Oh hum sorry I thought it was using some ticket bug to install [​IMG]

5. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i can conferm that custom wads do work on v3.3

6. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, a common-key is needed for the WAD unpacking and packing when making custom WADs. So, I don't know...

7. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm pretty sure that the wii os doesn't check games that are already installed. If you were to try to copy to wad via the wii's sd managment then it'd fail, but since we install via a wad installer, which bypasses the oses normal wad install procedure, it is ok.

It's sorta like how the gecko region free app lets you run trucha backups.... the program is ran from within the homebrew channel/ect and NOT loaded via a normal insertion and thus normal disc checking does not apply.

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    installed channel rely on the Signature Bug to be installed on the Wii

but the fact is:

1/ the fixed IOS & system menu does not care about the signature of already installed channels (quite a luck, otherwise, bye bye HBC)

2/ every application on your wii (discs or channels) is using a dedicated IOS (firmware version), based on the info in their header. This IOS is reloaded when the application boots and everything after that depends on that particular IOS version. So, if the application is using an IOS version that does NOT have the Trucha bug patched, you can still install signed content through his application.

To resume, when you install a new channel WAD, you are doing this through an installed application (WAD manager channel or WAD manager through HBC) which use an IOS version which does no thave the Trucha Bug Fixed..

9. StuMcBill

Newcomer StuMcBill Member

So does this mean I can use injected VC WADS on my 3.3E firmware Wii, if they are installed using Wanikokos (or however you spell it) WAD manager, because it bypasses the normal Wii install procedure and installs itself on the Channel Menu (which doesn't check what is already installed)?

Stu