Gaming Custom Firmware (+)/(-)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,235
  • Replies 13
D

Deleted User

OP
Custom Firmware: Non-Official / Non-Sony System-Firmware that allows a user to "unlock" the homebrew capabilities of the PSP.

QUOTE said:
Custom Firmwares are modified versions of Official Firmwares released by Sony for the Sony PSP(PlayStation Portable). You have to use the official firmware file with the file that is provided when downloading CFW's. Custom Firmwares are made with the intention of unlocking the full potential of one's PSP, including a Recovery Menu, Internal Flash access, running of unencrypted code, running of UMD Game Backups in the form of CSOs, ISOs, or in Dark_Alex's DAX format.

Currently there are two main types of CFW Designs
(1) M33
(2) GEN

Other firmwares such as team LDX and team MAD should be avoided. Only use firmwares that are official acknowledged by the psp community.

There are many advantages and disadvantages towards using both. Excuse my limited knowledge, however, for all purposes of this thread the major difference between
GEN and M33 is that the GEN Custom-Firmware automatically decrypts newer games so they are playable on the CFW, whereas M33 users must manually patch each individual
game. In addition, GEN is reputed to be less stable than the M33 firmware, the final firmware being 5.00M33-6. Furthermore, M33 has more compatibility with a wider array
of homebrew, whereas, some earlier homebrew may not work as succesfully on GEN.

.ISO is a disc image, think of it as the software-contents contained within a CD/UMD.
.CSO & .DAX: are compression formats utilized by a user who wants to save space.

Game-Back-Ups run from a memorystick are often faster than a PSP reading data from a UMD. Some games even have the ability to shorten load times by allocating extra system memory.

Homebrew: Homebrew is the term for unlicensed software designed for a system developed by independent developers. Homebrew allows the PSP to extend itself beyond it's normal "intended" purposes and become a much more useful and comprehensive device.
QUOTE said:
Homebrew is a term frequently applied to video games or other software produced by consumers to target proprietary hardware platforms not typically user-programmable or that use proprietary storage methods. This might include games developed with official development kits, such as Net Yaroze or Linux for PlayStation 2. Some more frequently used labels, such as freeware, are often applied as well. A popular type of homebrew game is the fangame. In Japan, these games are usually called "D?jin soft".

Homebrew Developers are not just interested in making applications, but there are successful homebrew games like PSP-Revolution or Kurok (a Turok Clone.)
Game_shot4.jpg

For example, the PSP, as a media player doesn't have many playable formats beyond MPEG4. Homebrew aims to extend the capabilities of the PSP to it's maximum potential.
Homebrew: PMPlayer Advance(PPA), for example; plays many different audio/video formats that aren't official supported or endorsed by Sony.

Another player,
QUOTE said:
v0.02 A media player for your PSP - supports AVI (DiVX) / OGG / WMA. DivX AVI files playback at 480x272 - the full resolution of the PSP screen! Released by jonny
QUOTE said:
Supported File Types: PMP Format V2( *.pmp ):
Homebrew is the best, it's an awesome development to an incredible handheld.

* Video:
AVC, main profile, level 2.1,

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
You might add "Avoid Team LDX firmwares."
There's another 6.20 cfw that doesn't really work but i forgot "who" made it. Avoid MAD firmwares.

EDIT: My friend uses 5.50 MHU which is supposedly pretty good also.

Hidoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
And another thing you might add:
DarkAlex is not continuing his work on m33 for a while (maybe he'll never work on it anymore), and gen is still in development (if I'm correct).

D

Deleted User

OP
UltraMagnus said:
huh, where can I find more information on these LDX, MAD, etc? so they are just fakes, in what way?

Most likely they were false hyped with badly taken youtube videos and once released either did not function at all
or caused your PSP to BRICK.
Code:
http://www.psp-hacks.com/2009/09/21/custom-firmware-5-55-ldx-beta-released/
CODEhttp://www.psp-hacks.com/2010/02/12/psp-custom-firmware-6-20-mad-002-released-maybe/

D

Deleted User

OP
So, could we have a moderator please close this thread? It's derailed a considerable amount. If you want to talk about different custom-firmwares then you should make a more single-minded thread for that. This thread is for the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.

Sincerely
/2aven

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I2aven's_Sage said:
So, could we have a moderator please close this thread? It's derailed a considerable amount. If you want to talk about different custom-firmwares then you should make a more single-minded thread for that. This thread is for the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks.

Sincerely
/2aven

Threads get derailed all the time, it doesn't matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4