OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
How does Pokemon Diamond save on the DS-X? I'm so puzzled.

I save in game, and of course I restart the NDS so the EEPROM stuff can be saved. However, even if I delete the .sav file (deleting manually by connecting DS-X to comp and deleting), I can still continue when I restart the game...? Can somebody explain.

I've also been trying to use modified save files, but I have failed at every attempt
wacko.gif
lol.

Anybody care to explain or discuss?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How does Pokemon Diamond save on the DS-X? I'm so puzzled.

I save in game, and of course I restart the NDS so the EEPROM stuff can be saved. However, even if I delete the .sav file (deleting manually by connecting DS-X to comp and deleting), I can still continue when I restart the game...? Can somebody explain.

I've also been trying to use modified save files, but I have failed at every attemptÂ
wacko.gif
lol.

Anybody care to explain or discuss?

lecture.gif
Pokemon is exclusive, at least for the DS-X. Why? Because it saves internally. What this means is, it acts as if it were in an actual legit retail cart (and you if extracted the .sav file from that cart, the game progress would still be there!). This is exactly what the DS-X does.

Now, you failed at every attempt to use the modified save files because you didn't rename the .sav and .nds file! For example, if you have a lgc-pkmd.nds file, you can't use a modified lgc-pkmd.sav because it will still recognize the old save. You have to rename the .nds to something like Pokemon Diamond (U).nds and the save file to the same name as the .nds!

So both will go like this

Pokemon Diamond (U).nds
Pokemon Diamond (U).sav

Only then it will work. I've tested this.
smile.gif

D3R3LIC7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
So are you saying that when I add in a new save, I should make a new name for that file as well as the ROM itself?

Do I just rename the ROM or do I have to actually replace it with another copy?

Oh and do you know how I can convert R4 saves to DS-Xtreme saves?
The converter at LINK does not create a compatible save file for me (a 256KB instead of a much smaller size such as 2-50KB).

=============
Update:

Currently I am saved in a Pokemon Center. I went onto my computer and replaced the .sav with a save file of me when I was outside, and I made sure that the .nds and .sav files were the same. When I loaded the ROM, I still continued the game from when I was in the Pokemon Center rather than outside... I am so confused. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even renamed the files. The ROM and .sav of when I was inside the Pokemon Center were named Pokemon Diamond.nds and Pokemon Diamond .sav. When I replaced the save file with a save file of me outside, I renamed the ROM and the .sav file to Pokemon Diamonda.nds and Pokemon Diamonda.sav. Still I cannot change the save...
unsure.gif

Gr4v3

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
what I think what happens. You save your pokemon game. Then you shut off the ds. Plug the ds-xtreme in the computer and delete the save.
Next time you boot the ds-xtreme it saves the eeprom (wich is the pokemon save)
Now when you load pokemon it just starts where you saved last.

To prevent this you need to boot up the ds-xtreme and let it save the eeprom. Then without loading pokemon shut off the ds and plug the ds-xtreme in the computer. Then delete your save file. When you next time load pokemon you start with a clean game.

edit: hmm. after rereading the first post it seems he allready tried this...

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Try running other roms and run the Pokemon again.

Again, the DS-X accepts 256KB RAW saves and then automatically compress the save files.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
I had the same problem and I just fixed the fuck !

Copy your original savegame somewhere in your harddrive
Enter pokemon with any save (doesn't matter)
At the title screen, press UP + SELECT + B
Reply yes. Your data will be deleted (+- 2mins !)
Turn off your DS, turn it on, go to DSX app menu and turn the DS off.
Delete the Pokemon savegame in Windows
Put your savegame with the same name as rom in the DS-X

And that's ok ! I'm so happy !

D3R3LIC7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States

AMAZING... Thank you so much

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
Shuny, you're my freakin' hero! Thank you for this and your wonderful savegames converter!

AMAZING... Thank you so much
No problem
wink.gif

Glad to see it worked
tongue.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
heh, random!

So are you saying that when I add in a new save, I should make a new name for that file as well as the ROM itself?

Do I just rename the ROM or do I have to actually replace it with another copy?

Oh and do you know how I can convert R4 saves to DS-Xtreme saves?
The converter at LINK does not create a compatible save file for me (a 256KB instead of a much smaller size such as 2-50KB).

=============
Update:

Currently I am saved in a Pokemon Center. I went onto my computer and replaced the .sav with a save file of me when I was outside, and I made sure that the .nds and .sav files were the same. When I loaded the ROM, I still continued the game from when I was in the Pokemon Center rather than outside... I am so confused. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I even renamed the files. The ROM and .sav of when I was inside the Pokemon Center were named Pokemon Diamond.nds and Pokemon Diamond .sav. When I replaced the save file with a save file of me outside, I renamed the ROM and the .sav file to Pokemon Diamonda.nds and Pokemon Diamonda.sav. Still I cannot change the save...Â
unsure.gif

sorry i just thought it was funny that you left a space before the .sav, because that would mess up the save. but i'm sure you just made a typing error in that post.

anyways glad to hear its wokring fine.

ziot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a ds-x and i've been trying to find out how to import / export the .sav files from the legit cartridges. There are a couple homebrew apps like Eepinator and Rein which can export the roms to gba sdram (slot 2) but I don't have this. There are also problems with the ds-x and eepinator when you want to extract the save game to the flash cart (ds-x will freeze when you try to put the ds-x back in).

Anyone have any insight on if it is possible to do this without a slot 2 for the ds-x?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, I honestly have searched and looked around and I have yet to find a working method.

:\/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock