ROM Hack CrystalTile2 open images with image and palette in one file

matthewn4444

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am wondering if we can open an image in crystal tile 2 where the image has a palette in it near the bottom of the file. For example, Luminous arc 2, all the image files such as atlus_LZ.bin, after decompressing it, I cannot see it in Crystaltile2. I used TiledGGD and I can somewhat see the atlus logo and with the correct colors, however, I cannot edit the image itself. Any ideas?

matthewn4444

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you misunderstood me, I meant I am not sure how to open the image and edit it so that it can be placed back into the rom and can run. I was asking how to open the image if the palette and image were in the same file. I would also like to know how the bg and image files are compressed in luminous arc 2 since lz77 is not the compression.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crystaltile2 is by no means a flawless decompression app but I will have to check out TiledGGD some especially if it is better here. I am guessing TiledGGD lacks recompression (especially on the fly) capabilities so it has set it somewhat as "read only" hence your not being able to edit it.

Still assuming you can decompress the file to uncompressed DS format to open in crystaltile2 the hex editor section of crystaltile2 has a data to palette option.

On the other hand I usually find that while the general purpose apps like crystaltile2 are great for initial work and basic SDK format work if you are dealing with a custom one once you have the formats reversed enough it is generally time to build your own tools (most hacking tools have command line options and simple binary cutting can be done with copy /b and filecutter which you can grab over at http://crackerscrap.com/ )

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
view the file system in ct2 find the atlus_LZ file don't export it, extract it
open the extracted file in ct2 and view it in gba 8bpp.
and import the palete from the image you saved with the emulator
the problem the atlus - viewable is of a multi width the first two rows are so wide and the rest are different width but otherwise completly veiwable and exportable thus edit-able.

you just have to tinker with the offset (20 for the atlus_lz)

just tinker with the other properties and you will see it (you do know that luminous arc2 has an E version right)
(the same people that made it made 7th dragon and there are a lot of similarities file structure wise)

edit february 6 2011
ct2 has a tile composition tool that can help you with this drag and drop the tiles onto it then export the image. Careful not to close the tool and to save the edited image to a new file, as you need to keep the same name for it to import back correctly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yes