Crysis 3... Anybody played it yet? What do you think?

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a big fan of Crysis, beating both Crysis 1 and Warhead. I have Crysis 2 but haven't had time to play it, but I'll save that story for another day. I've been reading the blogs trying to gain insight on what to expect from Crysis 3, and I am seeing criticism about how this version should be considered "2.5", and although there is much eye candy with how the envelope is pushed in regards to graphics/visuals, its storyline is somewhat recycled and not much progression from the last games. From what I've read, Crytek does revive some former familiar characters from the Crysis universe, but their personalities are either dumbed down or slightly opposite from what you were used to in Crysis 1. Personally, I wished they would have brought back Nomad, he gave off pretty much a calm, collective and focused persona in the game. Psycho reminded me more of a slightly obnoxious Jason Stathem, with both his look and accent. Prophet kind of went crazy in Warhead after being captured by the Aliens and I was surprised to hear he was on Crysis 2. If you have played Crysis, what were the pros and cons you expereinceed compared to previous versions of the game?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finally started the Crysis series over the winter holidays, and I really enjoyed the first game and the Warhead "expansion." The first game was so very cinematic and paced well that I was almost shocked that the game ended so quickly. I expected it, fully, and in a way, I can't say it's a bad case, because everything it does it does so finely that you may as well be watching a crafted film that's excessively long. The down side is the gameplay is excessively short. Aside from that, the gameplay was also a bit of a letdown, with no real shocks and turns, or else things to explore. But it was still a good bit of fun, and then Warhead put the gameplay at the forefront of the experience and made it even cooler. I'd say I find the first game more memorable, but the second one is a deserving playthrough right after.

Then I started Crysis 2, and fuck man, I was so disappointed. I had to stop halfway because MaLDoHD had a fatal bug in it that crashed a certain level on load. This was fixed a couple weeks ago and I finished the game this past weekend.

My feeling: the game was horribly console-fied. The entire story and atmosphere was reshifted to appeal to console markets and to make money. The wide and open environments and the sense of complete freedom is gone, and is instead replaced with an awkward, linear-yet-open system that just serves to confuse the player in terms of where to go and how to go about playing the game. It stunts any sense of player choice by CONSTANTLY telling you what to do or showing you via wall-hacks where things are. The story also went AWOL, completely butchering the original story line and reworking its characters so that Prophet comes back, completely out of sequence, and then the game does some back-tracking in the canon to justify the game's mistreatment of the character.

I mean the game was alright, but it felt like a solid 80/100 effort. I think it's worth playing, but it should have been rebranded as a different game entirely. The game isn't even all that pretty without directx11 features, and even then, to really get the wow factor you need that mod from up above. This made the game very pretty to explore and see, but this was harshly stunted by the game's tendency to force the player down those linear-but-open holes. There's no flow in the level design until the last third or so of the game, where you can really start to appreciate the level design, but up to that point, you're just trying to figure out what the hell is going on. About halfway through the game, I realized that if this were a game like FarCry 3, where you instead explored this interesting environment, rather than were paraded through it and then shoved out, the game's level design could have been much more appreciable.

It fails as being a sequel in almost every regard, is more like a distant cousin that no one thinks is really part of the family. It's like a poser game.

-------

Now, about the idea of Crysis 3 being 2.5: I'm waiting on a crack, but from all the previews I've seen, the game literally looks like an expansion pack to the second game. You play in a different place, but nothing looks improved, and they keep whoring out this bow-thing I'm personally not going to use, unless they force me to, and then fuck the publisher for that too. I think I saw Psycho show up in some early footage for Crysis 3, but I'm wary that they'll re-purpose his character into some other type-cast again too. I'm gonna give it a pirate's trial to see if it's any good, but my feeling from watching all the footage is that it's going to be another claustrophobic, magic-trick story, console-pandering experience that tries to hard to appeal to a certain market rather than to be a real Crysis game.

:/

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can applaud the storytelling in Crysis 1 for how it alluded to the progression of the alien invasion without it really giving too much details early in the gameplay. They should have just used a whole different cast in the Crysis 2 or just left Nomad in it, but from what I seen in the online wiki he's supposedly dead for some unknown reason. I agree, Crysis 1 was noteworthy and both Crysis 1 and Warhead ended to soon.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nomad basically never existed in Crysis 2. I didn't read into any extra sources behind the plot of Crysis 1, but the ending made me think Prophet abandoned his mission and left back for the island, with Nomad giving chase, either because Prophet knew something and was necessary to bring back, or for saving bros and whatnot.

Crysis 2 opens up with Prophet in New York pulling a nameless marine out of the ocean, completely pulling the character Prophet out of any expectations from the previous game(s). Why is he suddenly in New York? Why is he suddenly a generic badass? (And on that note, Crysis 3 ads have been trying to advertise Prophet as a black dude with attitude, which is just really degenerating D: ) Without going too much into spoilers, Prophet essentially takes his suit off (which Crysis 2 and 3 make to seem impossible, as it's grafted into the wearer's skin?), gives it to the nameless marine to "finish the mission" and then kills himself. Later you find out there's some dude who's immortal and living in a testube and talks through machines, and then it's suggested (indirectly) that Prophet similarly didn't die but lives in your suit, and that you're Prophet, or rather, the nameless marine is dead or becomes obsolete, and it's just really rabbit-trick story telling. The game ends by suggesting Prophet never really left at all, and that the nameless marine is either playing host for Prophet (fucking weird soul-shit man) or no longer exists as its own entity. It also tries to connect the story to Crysis 1 slightly by showing flashbacks, and saying that some bad guy in Crysis 2 was responsible for sending Nomad & co. to the the location in the first game, but this also comes out of left field and feels slightly out-of-nowhere.

Basically, it goes from you being a military-like operation sneaking in to find info about something gone wrong, and finding something hugely wrong (yet still being so insignificant that it seems there's no hope) to become a Power Ranger in Manhatten that goes around breaking shit. The aliens also become anthropomorphic Halo grunts, which was really unsatisfying to find out. Like, the first game had that bizarre, oceanic feeling to the aliens, which kinda works out well for being a kind of life that can exist but is little understood and even feared, indirectly, by humans. But instead, they give you generic soldiers reskinned as aliens, complete with basic soldiers, stealth soldiers, and heavy soldiers, that basically cycle through the level layouts predictably.

It just feels, to me, like the original story of Crysis has been abandoned for the sake of making money, and tried to pander its story and gameplay to such an audience to maximize its profits.

urbanman2004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm probably gonna finally get started playing on Crysis 2 and get that out the way for Crysis 3. Yeah, in Crysis 1 Prophet seemed like he was commander-and-chief and told Nomad what to do and for anybody who hadn't played Warhead, then they would've thought Phophet died when he got abducted by the aliens since heard nothing about his whereabouts aside from minor radio chatter. I was excited how Warhead correlated with Crysis 1 by revealing Prophet was able to escape the Aliens by stealing their space gun (which was real nice). Now the idea to make out Prophet to look like some bad ass, angry black man trying to seek vengeance is beyond me to judge; the events that Prophet experienced in the Crysis 1/Warhead warrant that behavior. But I do have to agree that Crytek's failure to progress on the Alien race involved in Crysis 1 and Warhead and instead lazily deploy human-like aliens instead in an attempt to defy the core players in order to cater to the mainstream audience I feel is wrong.

D

Deleted_171835

Well I booted Crysis 3 on my PC and smoke started coming out of the system. Is that a bad thing?

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tumblr_m2lj2mCtbc1r7vgf4.gif

This is all I have to add to the conversation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: