Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
bahamut920 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they are translating script, but they want a menu patch out the door first, in order to please the impatient crowd, who will play the game with just English menus and an FAQ. You have to give people time to get a full 100% complete translation out the door, and this project was only started just this month. EVERY other complete (or even nearly complete) translation on this board was the product of six months (or more) of effort. Give them time.
I was bitter earlier when I posted that. Cause all the other games I wanted also weren't released/finished.

But now, all I have to say is... Well... Why hasn't anyone released something that can auto translate every DS game?

bahamut920

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Cause then every DS game would read like Zero Wing, and nobody wants that. Unfortunately, the Japanese language is especially difficult to translate to English due to vastly differing grammar and syntax, as well as many cultural differences which require an intelligent mind to interpret. For example, many times in Japanese sentences, the subject is completely left out when both parties can infer it from the context, resulting in a sentence which, when run through a machine translator, would read as something like: "Ate an apple." Or more likely, "Apple eaten."

Or were you talking about hacking tools that would work for all DS games? Because that's practically impossible as well, with the radically different methods of storing and accessing text that different games use. This area I'm not quite as conversant in, so I can't really provide a reliable example for, though.

And if you were joking, just enjoy the fact that you fooled me, and hopefully my mini-lecture taught you something anyways.
tongue.gif

takashio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone, sorry about the lack of updates.

It appears CrystalTile2 decided to stop running on my PC (maybe I need a new key from the developer?), what slowed down my plans for the next patch. I'll still refresh the weekly version with any new content from the wiki, but it will be out maybe on Thursday.

I also promise to place some new script content to be translated up in the wiki tonight.

EDIT: oh, yes.
pralaya said:
??? ? ????
This link : a japanese website were people post guides and passwords for games (pretty much a japanese gamefaq or gamespot), those are passwords for the "??? ? ????" (himitsu no jumon) option, you can earn gold, tickets and materials for crafting, and other itens using this! I dont know if you guys plans to translate these, since some passwords use both katakana, hiragana and romaji, and that would be probably troubling, but I hope this is useful for anyone else looking for the passwords!

I happened to run into the datafile for it, so this is a big help to figure it out, thanks!

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Inunah said:
bahamut920 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like they are translating script, but they want a menu patch out the door first, in order to please the impatient crowd, who will play the game with just English menus and an FAQ. You have to give people time to get a full 100% complete translation out the door, and this project was only started just this month. EVERY other complete (or even nearly complete) translation on this board was the product of six months (or more) of effort. Give them time.
I was bitter earlier when I posted that. Cause all the other games I wanted also weren't released/finished.

But now, all I have to say is... Well... Why hasn't anyone released something that can auto translate every DS game?

Urgh, you're so ignorant.. Every time I see one of your posts, you're just whining and moaning about something, or making impossible requests.

Like for example, do you know how hard people work to hack games and translate them? An auto translate tool, or anything like that, doesnt exist and will NEVER exist. Because every game is different, and you actually have to find the text, extract it and translate it all properly! Japanese is a really difficult language, and can't be translated properly by a machine! That also applies for most other languages!

Okay, I'll stop now.. [/rage]

Oh and sorry I'm totally off-topic
smile.gif
I'm gonna try out the patch, as the game looks really interesting.

TheGreatNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this game playable with the current translation or is it more of a story driven game where you need to understand all of the script?

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
To all who replied to me, I'm sorry but I didn't explain clearly.
I actually meant an auto-translate tool that could turn all the text in any game into Romaji, and then could also be used for dumping the individual script files and such and making a patch out of what you changed later. :\
It would make my life easier, because then i'd be able to translate games (or help translate them), cause I only really know Japanese if all the text was Romaji but how many times have you seen a Japanese game in anything but Katakana, Hiragana, and Kanji? Even then, i'd have to use a translator to translate every word separately, since I really have only memorized up to the grammar and then counting to 4. A tool like that would be a great help for me and possibly others.

-----------------------------------------------------------

On topic...
Sorry about CrystalTile2... Seems like like you have the problems I do with stuff. My laptop works with anything great, then one day whatever I was using stops working and acts like I uninstalled shit, but reinstalling with the same installer doesn't fix that problem.
@TheGreatNeko I think it's another story-driven game where menu patches just don't cut it.

And i've decided this game IS for me, but until it has at least an 85% finished translation I won't be able to play it without shooting my DS 12 times with a rifle and yelling "English. Do you speak it, motherfucker?"

(If you need another translator, i'm not very good at Japanese but I could help with teh GRAMMARZ.)

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
I actually meant an auto-translate tool that could turn all the text in any game into Romaji, and then could also be used for dumping the individual script files and such and making a patch out of what you changed later.
Here's why this is a bad idea:

Every game has a different format for script. You don't know what information is stored in the header, where the text starts, whether it is interspersed with data that needs to be preserved, whether or not it uses pointers and which offset(s) those pointers are relative to, whether strings are null-terminated/fixed-length/variable-length, how control codes will be represented, or even whether the game uses a standard text encoding at all.

Converting kanji to kana or romaji will make finding word boundaries harder and can obfuscate the meaning of the sentence, especially considering that any particular character could have a dozen different pronunciations depending on adjacent characters or context.

General-purpose dumping tools like romjuice and Atlas do exist, but these need to be scripted by someone who has already fully analyzed the game's format.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ahh, I finally got the patch working by making a .bat file with that script in it!

The font is nice and readable.. and its cool to at least understand a tiny bit of the game! However, there's a couple issues with overflow/grammar. But I'm guessing you would have fixed those by now. If not, I'll PM you every time I find an issue or glitch (Y)

I hope you get more of the menus done soon ;D

Keep up the great work!
happy.gif

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inunah said:
Right now none of your translation actually lets us know the storyline, does it?

If not, then your translation of this game is not for me, and I will not be downloading any translations by you.

Ouch! Don't worry, the story is very short, it will be translated sooner or later! If you want to know specifics, I believe there are around 15 conversations in the whole game that deal with a centralized story.

bahamut920 said:

I played through the whole game so I could figure out-
1. Exactly what would need to be translated so that someone with no knowledge of Japanese could complete it.
2. Exactly how much story there actually is (there is very little, as this is more of a dungeon crawler and less of an RPG)

It was more or less my idea to do (1) first, so that people who didn't care about the dialogue could just go at it. The problem is, finding and extracting the necessary scripts is not that easy! I have no idea how to do it, I just translate. The head of the project, takashio, is the one who posts stuff on the wiki (see the first page) for us to translate. If it is easier for him to get the item lists first, we'll translate those first. If it's something else, we'll translate that.

QUOTE(suruz @ Jan 8 2010, 10:37 AM)
However, there's a couple issues with overflow/grammar. But I'm guessing you would have fixed those by now. If not, I'll PM you every time I find an issue or glitch (Y)

I hope you get more of the menus done soon ;D

Keep up the great work!
happy.gif

If there is a problem with grammar, it is probably my fault! If you want to make some notes on the wiki page, please do as it will really help me!

------
Thanks to DarthNemesis for explaining why the text being in romaji would make me want to tear my hair out even more than the game being in ALL KANA is. Seriously, without context and kanji, kana is a monster to parse and translate.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Guys, you don't need to know a single word of Japanese if you want to finish the game. My 13-year old brother finished it without any problem.

As for the story:
It's not really worth translating, it's like Zelda and Mario. And it's really short.

It's a superb game though.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
Guys, you don't need to know a single word of Japanese if you want to finish the game. My 13-year old brother finished it without any problem.

As for the story:
It's not really worth translating, it's like Zelda and Mario. And it's really short.

It's a superb game though.

Really? He must know some Japanese because at the very end you have to answer a bunch of questions- if you get a single one wrong it warps you back to the beginning. (of course if you didn't know Japanese, you might think the game was finished and just had a really crappy ending
smile.gif
)

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
how did u guys patch the game with this? i cant find anything that can run a program or anything, im in desperate need of playing this game it looks so awesome!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
thanks for translation btw, just gotta get it to work
tongue.gif

Surf_R_Dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I want this game pretty bad aswell!

So, I'll try to help translating as much I can with the help of google translate... It comes out pretty jumbled, but I can unjumble it so it makes sense according to the item
smile.gif

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surf_R_Dude said:
I want this game pretty bad aswell!

So, I'll try to help translating as much I can with the help of google translate... It comes out pretty jumbled, but I can unjumble it so it makes sense according to the item
smile.gif

AH! Please don't! It's great that you want to help, but google translator (and pretty much all other machine translators) are NOT your friend!

Take this for instance:
?????? Devil Gem
???????????????????????????????????
A weird gem, said to be captivated by the Mochinushi

Google missed 'mochinushi' (which means owner, as in the person who has the gem), and 'bukimi na hikari' means 'eerie light' in this case. In other words, it's like a gem that emits a weird light that enslaves the owner. You know, like dude from Lord of The Rings and how he's all obsessed with the ring? That's why it's called the 'devil gem', something evil about it.

That's not to say you can't help, but try to parse the sentences into smaller parts before you translate them word by word:
[???]??[???]??[???|????] [????]??[??? ? ??]??????

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1