Hacking Crap! Couldn't run programs, now my wii is corrupt. Help nee

Capn Gus Bloodbe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I've come across some problems.....

I used this guide - http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=168...t=0&start=0

I was unable to install bootmii to boot2, so I installed it as an IOS. I DID back up my NAND though (thank god)

I skipped the IOS36 step and it all went fine.

Then I used http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184057 to update from 3.3 to 4.2

This ruined Preloader, and trying to reinstall it said something about IOS36 being edited.

Also, I was unable to run homebrew apps from SD, came up with the 'not a valid Wii application' error

I thought TBR was the answer, but that failed for some reason.

A quick look through one of the threads and some other advice, and I thought DOP-IOS was the answer - using that I patched IOS 21, 36 and 70

This turned HBC upside down, so I reinstalled HBC and it was fine. However, I was still unable to run homebrew apps from SD.

I reinstalled preloader, and now my system menu is corrupt. Also, bootmii is not appearing in the preloader system menu.

If I access 'boot.elf' through preloader I can get into HBC, and through that I can get into bootmii - however it said that bootmii is not installed thus restoring the NAND is extremely dangerous.

Here come the questions:

1)So, should I continue on here to restore my NAND or is there another method? I did come across http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-154/ho...er_0_29-806885/

2)If I restore my NAND, does that mean everything I've done since backing up my NAND is now completely undone?

3)Once restored, can somebody please give me some advice on how to actually get my apps running?

Obviously trying to figure it out for myself reading threads on here hasn't gotten me anywhere

pigii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
im sorry to tell you this mate but you cant restore a nand with bootmii IOS
put a wad manager boot.elf in your SD card and reinstall your system menu wad, its the only thing i can think of...

grubbymitts

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
linuxares said:
Yes he can, but its quiet dangrous.

Sounds dramatic.
Maybe not as dangerous as putting your tongue in the electric socket or drinking acid though.
He could always buy another wii if the first one does cock up completely. Just a thought.

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linuxares said:
Yes he can, but its quiet dangrous.

No it's not "quite dangerous".
Restoring nand using bootmii/ios is in fact exactly identical as restoring nand using bootmii/boot2.

The ONLY reason why the bootmii guys are saying it is more dangerous is that you have no safety net with the IOS version like the one provided by the BOOT2 version.

If nand restoration is halted for whatever reasons with bootmii/ios, the wii is dead for sure (as bootmii/ios was erased). A similar problem with bootmii/boot2 doesn't kill the wii completely as bootmii is still on the wii so futher nand restoration can be attempted.

The bootmii code used for nand restoration is the SAME for bootmii/boot2 and bootmii/ios.

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay so everyone.. What should he do?

capn what nand backup is it? just the one you made at the very start back on 3.3?

does anyone know why it bricked exactly? is there something he should know about installing preloader (it even work on 4.2?)?

what should he do...

Capn Gus Bloodbe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I also thought about trying to reinstall the ISO files I patched, but I'm a bit concerned that it may simply stuff up my preloader install without fixing anything, in which case I'll truly be up the creek without a paddle...

Capn Gus Bloodbe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All I had to do was change preloader to IOS 249 in the settings, works now.

Though my apps still won't run off SD....still getting the 'this is not a valid wii application' error

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out