TiMeBoMb4u2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tommy_T said:
TiMeBoMb4u2 said:
Tommy_T said:
Just thought I would do a quick Mock-up of a 3D coverflow to see how sexy it would look, hope you guys dont mind :S

Absolutely AMAZING!! What did you use to create this??

TiMeBoMb
yay.gif

Used 3D studio Max and Premiere Pro CS3, was inspired by ur rotating boxart example though.

WOW! I'm glad to hear that I inspired this!

How long did that take to render? How difficult would it be to add other covers?

TiMeBoMb
=)

Tommy_T

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Only about 10-15 minutes using mental ray on my quad core. the DVD consists of two textures a plain white one the case and one for the cover. Very easy to add new covers.

cdreams

Trophies
Website
www.shaunpauljohnston.com
XP
Country
Tommy_T

I suggest you try team up with the best coders on here and do this via Google Code. It's too messy in here and gets far too confusing.
I think if a few of the good coders on here worked with that, they could get something knocked up in no time, with all the features of the current best loaders.

Seriously who are the best coders on here? PM this man and get the code or whatever you need to make that work.

Hibern

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can't find the name of the guy who offered back to front cover scans.
Please if you read this send me a few so i can test when i come back from work.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't me but I have a scanner, some free time the next couple days, and the following games NTSC:

Red Steel
House of the Dead 2 + 3
Mini Desktop Racing (I know, it sucks)
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
MadWorld
Metroid Prime 3
Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop
Elebits
Zack + Wiki
Zelda TP
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
No More Heroes
Wii Sports (Full size boxart custom I got off digg a few years ago printed on nice color laser)
Wii Play
Manhunt 2
Big Brain Academy
Mario Party 8
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Wario Ware Smooth Moves
Super Paper Mario
Carnival Games

If you wany any/all of those scanned I'd be glad to help
smile.gif

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've looked around, a lot of them look like shit and if we're going to go through resizing covers to certain sizes, why work with someone's pixely artifacted jpg copy when I could scan directly to *.png and not get any of those compression artifacts? We're only going to be rescaling once as opposed to twice WITH compression.

I mean if we want it to look nice, shouldn't we do anything we can as a group to get the best final product?

Posts merged

Skyzoboy said:

only has fronts

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Hibern is goin to put a download in his usblaoder for you guys .. ..thats what he told me . becuase he is gettin them off of me right now ..

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amars464 said:
kornychaos said:
you guys do know they have dedicated sites to covers, right? it might save some time..
Was just about to post this link: http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cat_id=18
They are .jpg's but I mean it's easy enough to save something as a png.

by then it's too late and the file has been compressed using a blur effect which happens as soon as something is compressed to jpg.

it's not a matter of changing the file name, it's a matter of once scanned how it is saved. zoom in on a bitmap you saved as a jpeg and look at a comparison side by side.

jpg = shit

amars464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I'm pretty snobby when it comes to image formats myself, but the images on the two sites I linked to are so insanely high-res for our purposes that if you were to resize them in photoshop and then save them to a png you wouldn't really notice any artifacts. I mean we're talking a general image resolution of 3225x2156.

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rescaling huge 72 dpi jpg-compressed fuzz-edged images to smaller images will look comparatively worse than scanning at the size you want with no compression and saving it directly to png.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it since I'll be obviously scanning my own covers if I don't like how they look, I'm merely offering insight with something I used to do all the time (post processing at a mom and pop style print shop) that I have found to offer an overall better end result. I don't mean to come off as snobby I'm just a perfectionist with things I do.

Anyone who wants my scans feel free to pm me, I don't want to look like I'm stealing anyones thunder. They should be done as soon as information is posted with what dimensions will be used for the build of this.

amars464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I don't think you're coming off as snobby in a bad way. I can totally see where you're coming from. It's just in the sense of what's going on here, I'm also trying to think of something that's going to be more time efficient. I mean there's a lot of Wii games out there, it would take a while to be able to scan the covers for all of them, when the work is already done for us for the most part. I drummed up a little comparison for you though to show you what I mean about the jpegs being so hi-res that you won't even really be able to notice when they're resized.
A cover I scanned and saved as a PNG
A cover I downloaded as a JPEG and saved as a PNG
And I mean these images are still way bigger than what the loader would use, so I mean I don't think it would actually be that huge of a deal, and a lot more could get done quicker this way.

Mark McDonut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just meant scaling from such large images in one shot from a high res low dpi way down can sometimes give you some shitty grain on your darker tones and make them bleed something fierce. nothing short of clonestamping can usually fix it either and even in those cases it can't help outer edges.

I'm surprised I don't have repetitive ocd disorders too with the way I am with some stuff
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol