Hacking Cover problems with WiiFlow & Help w/ WAD Manager

Foxe92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, first off, hello! I've been a member here for a while, a lurker for years, but think this is probably my first time ever posting (probably because I can usually find the answer to my question...this website rocks!).

I'm not an ULTRA newb, but I'm not that in on the scene either. I've had my Wii softmodded for about 8 or ine months now and have been running my game through USB Loader GX (my wii's disc drive actually died, so I was almost forced to). Everything has run smoothly since then and I've enjoyed the loader pretty well so far. I was running my rom's off of a 2-partition fat32+WBFS formatted iomega drive and USB Loader GX was running straight from the USB drive (ie, not an SD card). Everything worked flawlessly.

A few days ago I decided to update a few things. This included nuking my WBFS partition and storing all the .wbfs files on the FAT32 partition instead. I also updated to the most recent revision of USB Loader GX (since mine was several months old)

Everything worked great for about two days. I was playing Monster Hunter Tri in the morning, turned it off to go to work/school, and when I booted USB Loader GX back up in the afternoon when I got home, I got a message saying if couldn't find a WBFS or FAT32/NTFS drive. Granted, I hadn't touched ANYTHING. It gave me an option to select the partition. When I did I got a big ugly "Exception (DSI) occurred" error with some code and had to manual shut down the wii.

So I retried a few times with no luck. Eventually (through many other trials with different version, newer cios', etc) I figured out it would work if I ran USB Loader GX off of tan SD card rather than the usb drive. I still got the "Cannot find drive" error, but when I selected my partition, I didn't get the Exception DSI error. Still, this wasn't optimal, and even more than that, I was (still am, rather) curious as to WHY.

(x1)Let it be noted that at this point i could also NOT (re)install hermes cios (it was either v 3 or 4) off of the usb drive. I got the same "Exception (DSI) occurred" error when iselected which ios i wanted to install from. Not positive if it worked straight from SD (although i have a feeling it did). WAD manager and wanikoko's cios worked/installed fine.

(If you're still reading, I love you. Thank you so much!)

(x2)So anyways...I ended up redoing the trucha bug thing (using this: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/hacking-guide/trucha )
updating (using 'simple update' here: http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ha...-guide/updating )
and updating to/ installing waninkoko's cios 249 v17 and hemes 222 v 4 "ios 38 merged with 37"

Still no go with the loading USB Loader GX from the usb drive. Phooey.
So, instead, I ended up trying out WiiFlow and immediately fell in love with it.

I'm using rev42 cios222 version and everything seems to work perfectly except...the boxarts. Whether I download them automatically from within WiiFlow or add them manually from the pc, they don't show up correctly in WiiFlow.

I can tell they're there because they SORT OF show up, but when you click on the there's like, a black glare on them. Either that, or they show a medley of rainbow pixels. But I can still tell that the box art IS under there...I just can't see it. Also, it appears that the further away the image is, the more you can see it/the closer it is, the more glare/pizels it has.

However, non-HQ/wraparound (ie, just the front) covers show up fine and do not have this problem at all.

it really baffled me. I putting the covers on an SD card and having them load from there instead. No difference.
Tried the 249 flavor and also rev 41 and 39, but all the same.

Here is what it looks like
(I'm really sorry about the terrible quality, between a crappy cell phone camera and the fact that i have tremors, the video is extremely blurry and shaky
frown.gif
)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoe053lxKlY

As you can tell, when they're far away/not selected, you CAN see the image. When you select it it either turns black, goes pixelated, or a medley of the two (or looks just fine, due to the fact that it's just a front cover, like explained above). When the box is rotating, you can see glimpses of the image underneath the black/pixels. So, I think it's THERE, it's just covered up. I tried it in all of the themes and it's always the same.

Any ideas???

PROBLEM 2 (yup...I'm not finished) is that now WAD Manager (the latest one...whatever it is...) doesn't work all of a sudden when loading wads from the USB drive. I got a ret -1 error when I selected USB 2.0. I have a hankering that this happened somewhere in the process of step (x2). But I can't say that for sure. HOWEVER, it works just fine when loading wads from an SD card (while still running WAD Manager from the usb drive). But now hermes' cios 222 v4 and 5 installers work perfectly (no Exception DIS error). So it's sort of like the reverse of (x1). (ie, WAD manager doesn't work from USB and Hermes installer does).

I thought it might be a problem with the hard drive im using myself. I figured this might also be the same problem that caused the original problem of USB Loader GX not loading from the USB drive (but loading from the SD card). I don't think the WiiFlow covers problem is related to the HDD though, because I tried loading the covers from the SD card and it had the same effect (although now that I think about it, I havent tried running WiiFlow itself from the SD card...that might change things). What do you guys think. Any fix? And why did USB Loader GX just stop working for no reason in the middle of the day?

I apologize if any of these issues have been addressed elsewhere. I've searched and searched through gbatemp and google with little to no avail (although i had a bagillion other problems too, and those i DID solve
biggrin.gif
). The only slight mention I found was in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/t204106-wiiflow-an-open...-gui-usb-loader?
which hinted at there being a problem with the more recent WiiFlow revisions with downloading cover art. I couldn't find the main discussion about this problem though, and since I can A) sort of see the covers and, B)get the same effect when I manually download them on the PC, I think this is a different issue.

Thank you so much. Seriously, just for reading this. If you did, you are now officially my #1 favorite person. (Especially if you can solve my problem
wink.gif
)

-Dv

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
The problems are with recent reviews of wiiflow.
Try deleting all your cover art from your hard disk and the cache directory too.
Get R25 from googlecode page
Download cover art again.
You're done.

Foxe92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pakatus said:
Try deleting all your cover art from your hard disk and the cache directory too.
You're done.

Will R25 work with FAT32 formatted drives?

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxe92 said:
Pakatus said:
You're done.

Will R25 work with FAT32 formatted drives?

Nope...sorry. Missed that on your first post. It was massive
tongue.gif

As far as my compreension of this issue...it corrupts covers when they are downloaded to HDD.
Using download to SD doesnt corrupt them.
I'm using R42 and cover download is great...i keep them on SD.

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Use the current version of WiiFlow r42, and add an entry " data_on_usb = no " into the ini. The intruction for this are in the readme.txt that probably came with the original WiiFlow files.

Delete the covers and redownload.

Basically set WiiFlow to store the covers on the SD card, and the cover download works fine. Once you have all your covers you can remove that entry in the ini file and move all the cover onto the FAT drive.

this is a known bug and currently being worked on, the other main bug is you cannot install or delete games directly from the Wii with a NTFS drive. Simply use WiiBackup Manager and install from PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o