Homebrew Suggestion Could we abuse console transfer services offline somehow?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Back when I transferred my saves from my Wii to Wii U, I backed up the Wii SysNAND first. Then, after the transfer was complete, I restored the Wii SysNAND. This effectively allowed me to maintain a backup system, which would in principle allow me to do a transfer again to a new console, but the requirement to be online is problematic considering the ban scene.

So I'm curious: What would happen if I backed up the SysNAND for a Switch, transferred to a second Switch, and then restored the NAND for the first? As described here.

Since you are allowed to link your account to more than one Switch console, and a single Switch console is allowed to have up to 8 accounts, I wonder what if anything this might do or what legit benefit it might have.

I could imagine a possibly piracy benefit here, with a dummy account sharing a purchased game through many many consoles, but that would only not really seem to be of value over existing backup loaders since even eShop games are accessible there, and I imagine that the moment you restored the NAND nintendo would see that the console information changed to ban it if it went back online, or if both consoles went online at the same time, so no benefit there. Not that I care about Piracy.

Could a trick like this at least be used to duplicate an EmuNAND for use across several off-line devices? I mean, since you apparently can't transfer an emuNAND directly from one console to another. The thing is, with a requirement to be online at the time, that sounds risky. I don't suppose we could fake a transfer using a PC in the future? Perhaps using two NAND dumps? and with more than just eShop games and saves, but to essentially copy everything of value from one NAND to another for quickly coping homebrew?

The closest thing to this concept I could find was mentioned here, but that's for the DSI games:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...r-dsiware-from-one-console-to-another.482772/

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back when I transferred my saves from my Wii to Wii U, I backed up the Wii SysNAND first. Then, after the transfer was complete, I restored the Wii SysNAND. This effectively allowed me to maintain a backup system, which would in principle allow me to do a transfer again to a new console, but the requirement to be online is problematic considering the ban scene.

So I'm curious: What would happen if I backed up the SysNAND for a Switch, transferred to a second Switch, and then restored the NAND for the first? As described here.

Since you are allowed to link your account to more than one Switch console, and a single Switch console is allowed to have up to 8 accounts, I wonder what if anything this might do or what legit benefit it might have.

I could imagine a possibly piracy benefit here, with a dummy account sharing a purchased game through many many consoles, but that would only

Not really seem to be of value over existing backup loaders since even eShop games are accessible there, and I imagine that the moment you restored the NAND nintendo would see that the console information changed to ban it if it went back online, or if both consoles went online at the same time, so no benefit there. Not that I care about Piracy.

Could a trick like this at least be used to duplicate an EmuNAND for use across several off-line devices? I mean, since you apparently can't transfer an emuNAND directly from one console to another. The thing is, with a requirement to be online at the time, that sounds risky. I don't suppose we could fake a transfer using a PC in the future? Perhaps using two NAND dumps? and with more than just eShop games and saves, but to essentially copy everything of value from one NAND to another for quickly coping homebrew?

The closest thing to this concept I could find was mentioned here, but that's for the DSI games:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...r-dsiware-from-one-console-to-another.482772/

I recommend you look into the the phrase "unqiue console id"

D

Deleted-351540

Yes, I am aware that each console id is unique. Every game cart also has a unique ID. That's two routes of banning right now. I don't see how that statement contributes in any way.
Mainly that the console will read the unique console ID of your backup, see a mismatch, and then fail to boot.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Mainly that the console will read the unique console ID of your backup, see a mismatch, and then fail to boot.

um... yeah, you didn't read anything I said. I'm not talking about moving NAND backups at all, and even referenced this fact.

To reiterate: If you use Nintendo's transfer service to move data from one console to another, and then restore the NAND to the first console that was taken from the first console prior to the transfer, the data will restore BECAUSE it's from and to the same console ID. I've done it before multiple times, and clearly described how that works and linked to the information about the transfer service.

People really should READ before replying.

Last edited by Elliander,

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
um... yeah, you didn't read anything I said. I'm not talking about moving NAND backups at all, and even referenced this fact.

To reiterate: If you use Nintendo's transfer service to move data from one console to another, and then restore the NAND to the first console that was taken from the first console prior to the transfer, the data will restore BECAUSE it's from and to the same console ID. I've done it before multiple times, and clearly described how that works and linked to the information about the transfer service.

People really should READ before replying.
You have no clue what your own thread is even about

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch has certain data hardcoded into the console that is not transmitted during a system transfer and prevents NAND backups from other consoles being simply restored into another one. A system transfer only transfers save data and all content tied to the Nintendo Account on the console. I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea it transfers hardcoded values like biskeys or unique console ID...

antiNT

:)
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
The Switch has certain data hardcoded into the console that is not transmitted during a system transfer and prevents NAND backups from other consoles being simply restored into another one. A system transfer only transfers save data and all content tied to the Nintendo Account on the console. I have absolutely no idea where you got the idea it transfers hardcoded values like biskeys or unique console ID...
I think you did't understand what OP's trying to say.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
I think it'd only work the first time only. I'm not really sure how it works but I'm assuming the server stores the list of consoles registered to certain account

So after you restore the NAND backup of the first switch, next time you try to transfer to another switch the server will notice that the first switch is no longer linked to the account (during the first transfer) so it won't work
I wouldn't try this because there's a chance that nintendo will ban the account if they find suspicious transfer attempts

Philourer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could a trick like this at least be used to duplicate an EmuNAND for use across several off-line devices? I mean, since you apparently can't transfer an emuNAND directly from one console to another.

You mean SX OS's implementation of emunand? I transferred them between systems and I'm not sure what definition of emunand they're using.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast