Could someone make a PCB that could support UFS storage instead of EMMC

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Dominator211, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    I hope the title is explanative enough of what I am trying to get across here. I'm basically asking how possible/expensive would it be to create a storage PCB exactly like the one found in the switch but instead of having the BGA pinout for an EMMc Chip it would have a pinout for a UFS chip or an EMMc chip that has a capacity larger than 256GB. I'm asking not because most people are going to fill up a 2TB MicroSD worth of games but for the future, since they plan on supporting the switch until around 2023 or even longer, technology may progress to where 2TB microSD cards are in fact a thing but they are way too expensive to purchase for the average consumer. Also, I'm just curious to know would it even be possible. If anyone knows anything please let me know it will be very much appreciated.

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    It is possible if someone decides to put in work to prototype a game card slot reader and redirect the main storage toward that, like how the Vita got SD2vita.

3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Im talking about the internal NAND itself not the game cart

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    What I mean it is possible if someone decided to put in the work to prototype the pcb and develop software for it to be supported, probably need to be redirected to something else like game card to get more storage.

5. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    well people have upgraded the internal to 256GB already its just the pinout the switch uses only goes up to 256GB

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    But that is different than what you are asking for, as people are upgrading the nand chip on the eMMC.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted