Copy Update and Save Data to USB without deleting game itself?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by El Xando, Mar 10, 2017.

1. El Xando
    OP

El Xando Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2007
    Hi,

I just used disc2app then WUP Installer GX2 to rip all my games and install them on a USB HDD. I've now found that when booting games off USB, it can't use the save data or update data stored on the internal storage, and when you use the Wii U system settings to transfer the save data and update, it wipes out everything on the USB for that game, namely the game itself...

I already need to reinstall 1 game to the USB, is there any way to copy the save and update data to the USB without it deleting the game, resulting in me needing to reinstall quite a few games?

Thanks.

2. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    For game updates - WUP install them same way as you did your games.
    For saves you can use saviine or try ftp anywhere.

3. El Xando
    OP

El Xando Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2007
    Ah OK, so my 2 options are:
    Use the Wii U system settings to copy the save data and update, deleting the game in the process, then reinstall that with WUP Installer
    OR
    Extract the save using saviine, inject that to USB, then download the game updates with Wii U USB Helper and install with WUP Installer?

Seems like the first option is actually the easiest option there! Wish I had realised you couldn't copy just save data to USB without it wiping everything else. Ah well.

Cheers!

4. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    Yes, sounds about right. I think it might be in a sticky somewhere, but I have read so many threads on this forum I can't remember. Its a known issue.

+ you forget then you have to re-inject with savvine again. Not bad if its one or two games only else can be a bit of a ball ache. You can use FTP but apparently not all saves copy well.

If I were you I'd bite the bullet and go for first option :)

Last edited by icw35, Mar 10, 2017