Hacking Converting wii iso's to wii dol's

ds22

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2008
Messages
269
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Rotterdam NL
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
256
Country
Netherlands
I don't know if this already been asked but,
I have a wii game on my computer, however, i don't have a dvd writer and none (working one's) in my surroundings.
Is it possible to convert the wii iso to a wii dol so i can send it with Send Elf to the homebrew channel to load it?

Thanks in advance,
ds22
 

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2007
Messages
1,567
Trophies
0
Location
The Netherlands
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
737
Country
Netherlands
>.<
Ya okay!

Well... I'll play with you
wink.gif

---

Yes it is possible... we are close to there...
Just one problem...
We can't save for some reason!
ohmy.gif

So the hackers don't release it yet to us...

But Wii sports does work included saving tough...
ohmy.gif

---
Oh, if you didn't get the point yet...

It is NOT... Not as in NOT possible... and NEVER... as in NEVER will be...
(To big to send/takes way too long, or ISO to DOL... = ROFLCOPTER ATTACK.)
 

WB3000

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2007
Messages
674
Trophies
1
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
287
Country
United States
Well, in concept, Wii discs have a main.dol, which then in turn goes and loads everything from the disk drive and goes about its business. It would be theoretically possible to patch that thing up to not load anything from disk, but rather load from something like SD, USB, or perhaps the DOL itself if you were able to recompile it.

This is not that easy to do though. It would be neat for small games, but large ones would be a lot of work.
 

WiiPower

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2008
Messages
8,165
Trophies
0
XP
345
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure, but i think the only way for now to play "dvd games" not from disc is installation as a channel into the Wii's NAND. (without any hardware modification) But only very few games would work that way because of their size, if this is possible.

About loading .isos via wifi, usb or sd card, well there's the reading speed problem on top of all other problems. For now we get 3x dvd reading with softmods which is already too slow for some games, and that's ~3 MB/s, while usb1.1 is 1.x MB/s and wifi is 300-400(???) KB/s.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ragnar14

XICO2KX

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
162
Trophies
0
XP
886
Country
Portugal
WB3000 said:
Well, in concept, Wii discs have a main.dol, which then in turn goes and loads everything from the disk drive and goes about its business. It would be theoretically possible to patch that thing up to not load anything from disk, but rather load from something like SD, USB, or perhaps the DOL itself if you were able to recompile it.

This is not that easy to do though. It would be neat for small games, but large ones would be a lot of work.
Humm... Interesting question in the first post!
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing the other day!
tongue.gif


What would happen if we decrypted+extracted all the files from the DATA partition of a Wii ISO and try to load the "main.dol" file?
huh.gif

As anyone tried it yet?
tongue.gif


Do .DOL files have some kind of "function jump table"?
unsure.gif

Because maybe we could replace the addresses of function calls like "dvd_read()" to something like "sd_read()"...
ninja.gif

Would that be possible?
happy.gif


Anyway, this thread is rather old...
rolleyes.gif

Do you know of any progresses made in this direction in the meantime?
wink.gif
 

harmor

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
420
Trophies
0
XP
88
Country
United States
XICO2KX said:
WB3000 said:
Well, in concept, Wii discs have a main.dol, which then in turn goes and loads everything from the disk drive and goes about its business. It would be theoretically possible to patch that thing up to not load anything from disk, but rather load from something like SD, USB, or perhaps the DOL itself if you were able to recompile it.

This is not that easy to do though. It would be neat for small games, but large ones would be a lot of work.
Humm... Interesting question in the first post!
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing the other day!
tongue.gif


What would happen if we decrypted+extracted all the files from the DATA partition of a Wii ISO and try to load the "main.dol" file?
huh.gif

As anyone tried it yet?
tongue.gif


Do .DOL files have some kind of "function jump table"?
unsure.gif

Because maybe we could replace the addresses of function calls like "dvd_read()" to something like "sd_read()"...
ninja.gif

Would that be possible?
happy.gif


Anyway, this thread is rather old...
rolleyes.gif

Do you know of any progresses made in this direction in the meantime?
wink.gif

I extracted "main.dol" from my Netflix backup and renamed it to "boot.dol".
I then placed said file in SD:\apps\netflix so I can boot it from HBC or a forwarder.
Unfortunately it didn't work.

The reason I even tried is because I thought Netflix would boot faster from SD card compared to an USB hard drive.
 

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
1,108
Trophies
0
Location
Canada
XP
414
Country
Canada
No I think he means extracting all the files from the disk, putting them all in the root of the sd (or in a folder, might want to try both) and than loading the main.dol
 

MushGuy

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2010
Messages
1,251
Trophies
1
XP
2,193
Country
United States
ds22 said:
I don't know if this already been asked but,
I have a wii game on my computer, however, i don't have a dvd writer and none (working one's) in my surroundings.
Is it possible to convert the wii iso to a wii dol so i can send it with Send Elf to the homebrew channel to load it?

Thanks in advance,
ds22
Just use an USB Loader.
 

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,770
Trophies
0
Location
the land of lol
XP
528
Country
hmmm

iirc there is an Action Replay .dol floating around (from the GC disc), it boots form SD card.... Other than that I've seen nothing like this released and the amount of work would be massive so I doubt anyone will do anything like this any time soon.

Just my opinion though.
 

Jacobeian

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
1,893
Trophies
0
XP
386
Country
Cuba
why do you think Wii games are running from DVD ? because they need space to store game data. The programs already fits in dols but big data (like sound, textures, etc) must be stored on the DVD and loaded separately in Wii memory when the program needs it.

The Wii just don't have enough memory to have everything loaded in memory at the same time, that's the main reason why you can't just "convert an iso into a dol"
 

XICO2KX

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2007
Messages
162
Trophies
0
XP
886
Country
Portugal
Jacobeian said:
why do you think Wii games are running from DVD ? because they need space to store game data. The programs already fits in dols but big data (like sound, textures, etc) must be stored on the DVD and loaded separately in Wii memory when the program needs it.

The Wii just don't have enough memory to have everything loaded in memory at the same time, that's the main reason why you can't just "convert an iso into a dol"
Yes, we can clearly understand that a .DOL the size of an .ISO would not fit into Wii's memory (24+64 MB of RAM)!
lecture.gif

But we were talking about a different thing... Extracting all the files from the ISO and running just the game's DOL!
rolleyes.gif

The DOL can access other files "outside itself" (i.e., "game data"), right?
wink.gif
 

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,770
Trophies
0
Location
the land of lol
XP
528
Country
This topic is kinda interesting, but pointless too.

The .dol could be patched to read files from another source other than the DVD, or a cIOS such as the nand redirects could be done.

BUT ... why, what would it achieve except slower reading speeds (SD) than USB2 offers now.

Maybe this topic will come alive if some people start coming in with really GOOD ideas, like the AR.dol in some ways has benefits over the disc. I've no idea about netflix as I've never used it, but is there any disc based game/software that could benefit from this ?

waninkoko a long time ago had a POC of a disc based game loading from nand (a channel) but due to the size of the nand nothing became of it.
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Most that stay together just do it for their kids
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    I have had ex's that made everything to be my fault though and end up breaking up with other boyfriends
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @M4x1mumReZ Beats the purpose of getting married then, if it was that easy
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Kids are a bitch to take care of. You got to feed them, look after them, pay for child support, education, health care, etc.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Nah they don't want to cause emotional damage to their kids mind so they try to hide it from them
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    There's that too.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Just my personal thoughts, no offense, I think kids can be cute and fun sometimes if they behave, but can be absolute devils worse than criminals
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Point is just try to know you can take care of yourself first
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I just feel I need riot gear to deal with kids
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    It's the norm for most adults to have kids in their 30s or 40s so still a lot of thinking time
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess the most helpfull tool to keep kids away is a console, tablet... or ducktape

    :glare:
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Give them an iPad with YT Kids
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    I got permission from two different dad's to put them in the dumpster if they get on my nerves
    +2
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Whenever I go on a train, visit a restaurant, or enter a shop, there maybe a chance that there is some kid in their pram holding an iPad infront of their face watching Cocomelon.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And there goes the ''Dad of the Year'' award
    +1
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    Nah that's what gets them the award
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    These iPads deserve to be trashed.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Maybe only old senoirs would have loved to hear noisy kids
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    But then again, I see kids as a health hazza

    rd
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Their ears would have troubles hearing their loud screeches that they can sleep in peace.
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    @ZeroT21, They lack any common sense because their brain hasn't been fully developed.
  • K3N1 @ K3N1:
    If old people learned how to use tablets more we might get them off the road :tpi:
    +1
  • M4x1mumReZ @ M4x1mumReZ:
    Anyways, I'm off for tonight. See you all later.
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Old people flip tables in anger :P
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Old people flip tables in anger :P