OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know if this already been asked but,
I have a wii game on my computer, however, i don't have a dvd writer and none (working one's) in my surroundings.
Is it possible to convert the wii iso to a wii dol so i can send it with Send Elf to the homebrew channel to load it?

Thanks in advance,
ds22

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
>.<
Ya okay!

Well... I'll play with you
wink.gif

---

Yes it is possible... we are close to there...
Just one problem...
We can't save for some reason!
ohmy.gif

So the hackers don't release it yet to us...

But Wii sports does work included saving tough...
ohmy.gif

---
Oh, if you didn't get the point yet...

It is NOT... Not as in NOT possible... and NEVER... as in NEVER will be...
(To big to send/takes way too long, or ISO to DOL... = ROFLCOPTER ATTACK.)

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well, in concept, Wii discs have a main.dol, which then in turn goes and loads everything from the disk drive and goes about its business. It would be theoretically possible to patch that thing up to not load anything from disk, but rather load from something like SD, USB, or perhaps the DOL itself if you were able to recompile it.

This is not that easy to do though. It would be neat for small games, but large ones would be a lot of work.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not sure, but i think the only way for now to play "dvd games" not from disc is installation as a channel into the Wii's NAND. (without any hardware modification) But only very few games would work that way because of their size, if this is possible.

About loading .isos via wifi, usb or sd card, well there's the reading speed problem on top of all other problems. For now we get 3x dvd reading with softmods which is already too slow for some games, and that's ~3 MB/s, while usb1.1 is 1.x MB/s and wifi is 300-400(???) KB/s.

Reactions: ragnar14

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
WB3000 said:
Well, in concept, Wii discs have a main.dol, which then in turn goes and loads everything from the disk drive and goes about its business. It would be theoretically possible to patch that thing up to not load anything from disk, but rather load from something like SD, USB, or perhaps the DOL itself if you were able to recompile it.

This is not that easy to do though. It would be neat for small games, but large ones would be a lot of work.
Humm... Interesting question in the first post!
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing the other day!
tongue.gif

What would happen if we decrypted+extracted all the files from the DATA partition of a Wii ISO and try to load the "main.dol" file?
huh.gif

As anyone tried it yet?
tongue.gif

Do .DOL files have some kind of "function jump table"?
unsure.gif

Because maybe we could replace the addresses of function calls like "dvd_read()" to something like "sd_read()"...
ninja.gif

Would that be possible?
happy.gif

Anyway, this thread is rather old...
rolleyes.gif

Do you know of any progresses made in this direction in the meantime?
wink.gif

harmor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XICO2KX said:
WB3000 said:

Humm... Interesting question in the first post!
rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing the other day!
tongue.gif

What would happen if we decrypted+extracted all the files from the DATA partition of a Wii ISO and try to load the "main.dol" file?
huh.gif

As anyone tried it yet?
tongue.gif

Do .DOL files have some kind of "function jump table"?
unsure.gif

Because maybe we could replace the addresses of function calls like "dvd_read()" to something like "sd_read()"...
ninja.gif

Would that be possible?
happy.gif

Anyway, this thread is rather old...
rolleyes.gif

Do you know of any progresses made in this direction in the meantime?
wink.gif

I extracted "main.dol" from my Netflix backup and renamed it to "boot.dol".
I then placed said file in SD:\apps\netflix so I can boot it from HBC or a forwarder.
Unfortunately it didn't work.

The reason I even tried is because I thought Netflix would boot faster from SD card compared to an USB hard drive.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No I think he means extracting all the files from the disk, putting them all in the root of the sd (or in a folder, might want to try both) and than loading the main.dol

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ds22 said:
I don't know if this already been asked but,
I have a wii game on my computer, however, i don't have a dvd writer and none (working one's) in my surroundings.
Is it possible to convert the wii iso to a wii dol so i can send it with Send Elf to the homebrew channel to load it?

Thanks in advance,
ds22
Just use an USB Loader.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm

iirc there is an Action Replay .dol floating around (from the GC disc), it boots form SD card.... Other than that I've seen nothing like this released and the amount of work would be massive so I doubt anyone will do anything like this any time soon.

Just my opinion though.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
why do you think Wii games are running from DVD ? because they need space to store game data. The programs already fits in dols but big data (like sound, textures, etc) must be stored on the DVD and loaded separately in Wii memory when the program needs it.

The Wii just don't have enough memory to have everything loaded in memory at the same time, that's the main reason why you can't just "convert an iso into a dol"

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Jacobeian said:
why do you think Wii games are running from DVD ? because they need space to store game data. The programs already fits in dols but big data (like sound, textures, etc) must be stored on the DVD and loaded separately in Wii memory when the program needs it.

The Wii just don't have enough memory to have everything loaded in memory at the same time, that's the main reason why you can't just "convert an iso into a dol"
Yes, we can clearly understand that a .DOL the size of an .ISO would not fit into Wii's memory (24+64 MB of RAM)!
lecture.gif

But we were talking about a different thing... Extracting all the files from the ISO and running just the game's DOL!
rolleyes.gif

The DOL can access other files "outside itself" (i.e., "game data"), right?
wink.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
This topic is kinda interesting, but pointless too.

The .dol could be patched to read files from another source other than the DVD, or a cIOS such as the nand redirects could be done.

BUT ... why, what would it achieve except slower reading speeds (SD) than USB2 offers now.

Maybe this topic will come alive if some people start coming in with really GOOD ideas, like the AR.dol in some ways has benefits over the disc. I've no idea about netflix as I've never used it, but is there any disc based game/software that could benefit from this ?

waninkoko a long time ago had a POC of a disc based game loading from nand (a channel) but due to the size of the nand nothing became of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup