Hacking Converting NDS to DSIware to CIA?

D

Deleted User

Hmms... I was told by a very credible source (and a couple other people) over at the discord that one of the original old factory FIRMS (AGB and TWL) can load roms off the SD.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
From what I heard only factory AGB FIRM had SD rom loading (from a fixed path I think). I see no valid reason why factory TWL_FIRM would need that ability since they could test physical NTR carts. I could understand why AGB_FIRM does because the 3DS doesn't have a physical GBA slot. They had to test GBA games on it somehow. :P

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

From what I heard only factory AGB FIRM had SD rom loading (from a fixed path I think). I see no valid reason why factory TWL_FIRM would need that ability since they could test physical NTR carts. I could understand why AGB_FIRM does because the 3DS doesn't have a physical GBA slot. They had to test GBA games on it somehow. :P
True that, I wonder though if it would be possible to bring that use over to the TWL side (probably pretty hard to do though if they've never coded it in...)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
... What if we could trick the 3DS Console into recognising the DS digital games signature as a 3dsgame...? (like firmeware spoofing) (Console thinks a DS game is acctually a 3DS Game and runs it... or maybe shelling a ds game within the coding of a 3ds game. (Like Patching a rom))

How about this; is there a way to get DS titles onto the DSi home menu? If yes than wouldnt we be able to get those titles from there onto the 3DS?

Whats different between a DSi rom and a DS rom? Maybe we could patch a DS rom with the files DSiware needs?

Actually, it is trivial to convert a DS rom into a DSiware game and it has in fact been done, apparently you just need to edit the header and a few other minor things. The catch is that most DS games try to read data from the DS cart slot and thus you are limited to converting things like download play demos, which are available as DSiware cias from the usual 3ds piracy websites. To make most (if not all) retail DS games work as DSiware you would have to patch them so that they read/write to the SD card rather than the cart slot much like the old M3 Perfect, Supercard, and Max Overload did. Not the easiest thing to do and I don't think any of those patchers were ever open sourced so good luck reverse engineering Max Overload.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody else notice when someone asks this question we sit there and roast them all like "ROFL you fkin noob can't you read the other 11,000 posts that say the same shit? NO FOOL!!" But when dok3 asks everybody mad respectful giving him strait answers and nice explanations :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, now that I think about it, the main problem other than the saving issue is the fact that nds roms are to big correct? but emunand is stored on the SD card so theoretically speaking, can't we just resize the emunand partition if possible, to be bigger?

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
Anybody else notice when someone asks this question we sit there and roast them all like "ROFL you fkin noob can't you read the other 11,000 posts that say the same shit? NO FOOL!!" But when dok3 asks everybody mad respectful giving him strait answers and nice explanations :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
If I'm not mistaken, when d0k3 posted it, it was an appropriate question, since we had almost none knowledge about the DSiWare.
With the knowledge we have today, this question is considered a noob question.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
actually, now that I think about it, the main problem other than the saving issue is the fact that nds roms are to big correct? but emunand is stored on the SD card so theoretically speaking, can't we just resize the emunand partition if possible, to be bigger?
The main issue is that NDS roms only want to be read from the cartridge slot. Even if installed they will try to get their data from the cartridge not SD card.

Reactions: dankzegriefer

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nintendo DSi:
1. Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20737085/dsi_srl_extract.zip
2. Copy any and all DSiWare titles you have to your SD card (Note: only works with an actual DSi)
3. Navigate to /private/ds/title
4. Use the executable make sure to use the --nomodcrypt eg. "dsi_srl_extract.exe file.bin --nomodcrypt". You have to use --nomodcrypt to make proper dumps!
5. You now have the ripped (and decrypted) rom from your DSiWare

Nintendo 3DS: (4.x only)
1. Download https://mega.co.nz/#!yJRDyJTB!4XHklwfVbbwbYNdfqUjvdVIHyo5gPUBfAIf78Hu9j0c
2. Get the ID from your DSiWare (If you only copy one to your SD it'll be in SD:\Nintendo 3DS\<UID0>\<UID1>\Nintendo DSiWare\<your game's ID>.bin) (You can also see it on the top screen in BBB or DevMenu but the ID you want to use later is without the 0x)
3. Edit dsiware_InjectTitleIDinMset.py
4. Change to
5. Run dsiware_InjectTitleIDinMset.py (You'll need python for this)
6. Copy msetforboss.dat to your 3DS' SD card
7. Use MultiROP-Loader and select MsetForBoss (4x or 6x depends on your FW)
8. Go to system settings -> Other Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile (If it doesn't load reboot and try again)
9. Select "dump DSiWare" and press A
10. You'll now have that one DSiWare title dumped on your 3DS' SD card as dsiware.nds

Sorry to bump, but can't manage to have the MsetForBoss thing to work.
Trying to dump Zelda 4S Anniversary as a .nds rom (to run on my R4i SDHC 3DS RTS, or in NoGBA).

Since I'm on A9LH + Luma3DS, I downgraded the MSET, installed the rop using this .nds roploader
1480832057-mset.png

I did all the steps, I have MsetForBoss.dat at the root...

But when I launch the DS Profile, I have a freeze (can normally hear the music though).
If I try with 6x instead 4X, I have a crash + restart when trying to open the DS Profile.

When I try instead with the nvram installer by GW team, I have a green screen, the yellow screen, then crash.
My MSET is download by gw team "Mset_EUR.cia".

Any idea, or any other way to do it?

D

Deleted User

If this was possible we wouldn't need r4 cards anymore.The only way something like this could be done if we had a homebrew app like multiman on the ps3 that could trick your ds cart into playing a different .nds game backup.Impossible I know but just an idea.

Last edited by ,

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to bump, but can't manage to have the MsetForBoss thing to work.
Trying to dump Zelda 4S Anniversary as a .nds rom (to run on my R4i SDHC 3DS RTS, or in NoGBA).

Since I'm on A9LH + Luma3DS, I downgraded the MSET, installed the rop using this .nds roploader
1480832057-mset.png

I did all the steps, I have MsetForBoss.dat at the root...

But when I launch the DS Profile, I have a freeze (can normally hear the music though).
If I try with 6x instead 4X, I have a crash + restart when trying to open the DS Profile.

When I try instead with the nvram installer by GW team, I have a green screen, the yellow screen, then crash.
My MSET is download by gw team "Mset_EUR.cia".

Any idea, or any other way to do it?
I would guess because the arm9 kernel exploit is fixed after 9.2 it will not work on updated versions even if the exploit in MSET is reenabled.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If this was possible we wouldn't need r4 cards anymore.The only way something like this could be done if we had a homebrew app like multiman on the ps3 that could trick your ds cart into playing a different .nds game backup.Impossible I know but just an idea.

Actually, it is already being worked on. While currently only download play demos and homebrew (including dldi) are working there are plans to support commercial roms though it will take a while. In fact, the planned commercial rom loading support will be based (partially) on reverse engineering of Max Overload which patched the ds roms so that they would run from the GBA slot (Max Media Dock).

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Actually, it is already being worked on. While currently only download play demos and homebrew (including dldi) are working there are plans to support commercial roms though it will take a while. In fact, the planned commercial rom loading support will be based (partially) on reverse engineering of Max Overload which patched the ds roms so that they would run from the GBA slot (Max Media Dock).
I had that thing. Was my first FlashCart. I bought it on Walmart lol

Gamer4Ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi there, regarding make_cia.exe, does anyone know the command line/if can do batch file processing for converting multiple .nds to cia files? thx

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi there, regarding make_cia.exe, does anyone know the command line/if can do batch file processing for converting multiple .nds to cia files? thx
We can't convert .nds to .CIA at all.
The games would be much too big to fit on the nand partition of the 3ds, plus the save issues it would bring up (because game carts were designed to save to physical media, not an sdcard)

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually, you can convert .nds to .cia always. But because these then try to read the game data off a cardridge the game would never work. However if you search online you can also find .nds roms for DSiWare, if you convert these to .cia they will work, because they use the native DSiWare loading method!

Reactions: Gamer4Ever

Gamer4Ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, you can convert .nds to .cia always. But because these then try to read the game data off a cardridge the game would never work. However if you search online you can also find .nds roms for DSiWare, if you convert these to .cia they will work, because they use the native DSiWare loading method!

oh yah, thats true, handy to know thx - do you know the command to convert multiple files, for example, i tried make_cia.exe --srl=*.nds but no luck.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
oh yah, thats true, handy to know thx - do you know the command to convert multiple files, for example, i tried make_cia.exe --srl=*.nds but no luck.
If you look hard enough on certain sites there's a batch converter. You just stick the it into a folder of .nds dsiware and it'll convert them all. It's in a thread on some site.

Reactions: Gamer4Ever

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc