Hacking Converting NDS to DSIware to CIA?

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember in the Wii days it was said to be impossible to load Gamecube games from a USB connected device. Then Crediar released DIOS-MIOS and it became possible. I'm hoping something similar happens eventually with NDS games on the 3DS. Perhaps using some sort of launcher that hooks memory to allocate the DS game to RAM and then reboot into TWL or whatever.

If not then I'll spring $7 for an original NDS R4 clone that supports Wood (not interested in paying extra for the so-called 3DS branded ones -- I am fine using one of those TWL launchers for it). (Note: I know my sig says I already own one -- but I have lost it).

I normally prefer playing games on my PC whenever possible. But for DS this just isn't ideal. Having a column sized display of two screens on the center of a 16:9 display just isn't practical in the least sadly. And sadly no DS emulators yet allow each display to be in its own window, or be allocated to a second monitor. Thus, it's really only practical to play them on real hardware or second best on a tablet or phone that can orient as portrait.

Last edited by Rfire,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember in the Wii days it was said to be impossible to load Gamecube games from a USB connected device. Then Crediar released DIOS-MIOS and it became possible. I'm hoping something similar happens eventually with NDS games on the 3DS. Perhaps using some sort of launcher that hooks memory to allocate the DS game to RAM and then reboot into TWL or whatever.

If not then I'll spring $7 for an original NDS R4 clone that supports Wood (not interested in paying extra for the so-called 3DS branded ones -- I am fine using one of those TWL launchers for it). (Note: I know my sig says I already own one -- but I have lost it).

I normally prefer playing games on my PC whenever possible. But for DS this just isn't ideal. Having a column sized display of two screens on the center of a 16:9 display just isn't practical in the least sadly. And sadly no DS emulators yet allow each display to be in its own window, or be allocated to a second monitor. Thus, it's really only practical to play them on real hardware or second best on a tablet or phone that can orient as portrait.
I believe iDeaS allows separate windows. I could be wrong about which emulator, but I know one of them does. Mainly because I've used the feature to have a separate monitor per screen.

Akawashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
... What if we could trick the 3DS Console into recognising the DS digital games signature as a 3dsgame...? (like firmeware spoofing) (Console thinks a DS game is acctually a 3DS Game and runs it... or maybe shelling a ds game within the coding of a 3ds game. (Like Patching a rom))

Last edited by Akawashi,

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is an old topic, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that WarioWare: Touched is available as DSiWare.
Don't know how it was released... I just found it on CIAngel. Pretty cool, considering that I bought and lost the cartridge version twice. It seems to be the complete, full game. Minus - perhaps - the debug menu and (more obviously) the Twisted compatibility.

Reactions: Akawashi

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is an old topic, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that WarioWare: Touched is available as DSiWare.
Don't know how it was released... I just found it on CIAngel. Pretty cool, considering that I bought and lost the cartridge version twice. It seems to be the complete, full game. Minus - perhaps - the debug menu and (more obviously) the Twisted compatibility.
It's been out as DSiWare since March as a My Nintendo reward. It's not available at My Nintendo right now.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i wonder why sky3ds can't load DS games in it?
also if GW fixed DS game ,they should add DS game loader to their menu.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Sky3DS can"t load DS games because it"s only a 3DS Flashcart, they should need a DS Flashcart to do that, I"m not very sure if the way Sky3DS acts it can emulate a DS cartdrige instead, but since it"s a propietary Flashcart and isn"t source of how all of it works I can"t even say for sure if is possible or not something similar with actual cart.

P

PaiiNSteven

How about this; is there a way to get DS titles onto the DSi home menu? If yes than wouldnt we be able to get those titles from there onto the 3DS?

Reactions: Akawashi

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard they had to take the source code of that game and modify it to work with the DSiWare mode.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They just re-compiled it, IIRC.

They would have to modify it somehow, if you take the source to an NDS game and just recompile it then all you'll have is an NDS game.

I remember in the Wii days it was said to be impossible to load Gamecube games from a USB connected device. Then Crediar released DIOS-MIOS and it became possible.

Something being hard so it hasn't been done yet and something being impossible are two different things. Anyone who said it was impossible probably meant the former or simply didn't know enough about what they were talking about.

DIOS-MIOS runs the gamecube games in gamecube mode, but uses the second cpu to do the loading. If the 3DS can be put into an NDS mode and still have access to all the hardware then sure it is theoretically possible. If nobody cares to try then it doesn't really matter though.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

They would have to modify it somehow, if you take the source to an NDS game and just recompile it then all you'll have is an NDS game.
The way the DSi and DS compilers work is different, so there would at least be some differences between the two.

P

PaiiNSteven

Whats different between a DSi rom and a DS rom? Maybe we could patch a DS rom with the files DSiware needs?

D

Deleted User

Whats different between a DSi rom and a DS rom? Maybe we could patch a DS rom with the files DSiware needs?
The way stuff is loaded, etc. It's not as easy as switching files, that's why WarioWare: Touched! had to be recompiled.

P

PaiiNSteven

So, out of curiousity cause i was looking for twlnmenu, i found the torrent of the DS (and maybe DSi) SDK. If this is of any use i will put it up on the site (dont put a warning on me for this; i didnt name it.)

EDIT: Looking back this was a pretty hard find; this is literally the only copy out there. Its got Wii, GC, DS, and apparently Wii U. Also has *some* DSi things on it. Not alot.
EDIT AGAIN: http://imgur.com/a/iZg8M we did it boys

Last edited by ,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the differences (the relevant one) is that a DS ROM can only loss data from the cartridge slot. Patching the files would have no effect as it can't load the files.

So, out of curiousity cause i was looking for twlnmenu, i found the torrent of the DS (and maybe DSi) SDK. If this is of any use i will put it up on the site (dont put a warning on me for this; i didnt name it.)

EDIT: Looking back this was a pretty hard find; this is literally the only copy out there. Its got Wii, GC, DS, and apparently Wii U. Also has *some* DSi things on it. Not alot.
EDIT AGAIN: http://imgur.com/a/iZg8M we did it boys
The Nitro SDK is easily found in paradise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.