Convert any 3D movie to watch on the 3DS!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I can't seem to work FFmpeg because I'm new to it D:
how do I add this "ffmpeg -i "video.avi" -s 480x240 -aspect 2:1 -r 20 -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 "VID_0001.AVI" ?

If it helps I'm using the latest one, static version.
You need to paste that into cmd while in the folder all your files are located.
Say if it was in Documents/FFmpeg, first you'd type "cd C:/Users/basher11/Documents/FFmpeg" or however your folder layout is.

It's all explained in exangels post on the last page anyway.

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I just tried a 45 minute documentary, didn't even show. perhaps the 10mins is for playback also :(
Wonder if there away to get around this. This must be Nintendo way of saying "don't download movies". :P

So is there away to break down downloaded videos into 10 mins parts?

One way you could do that is, in a batch file, make duplicates of the processes going, but for each unique set, designate the starting time and duration via "-ss hh:mm:ss -t hh:mm:ss", -ss being the starting position and -t being the duration. Depending on the video, anything past the initial position will require ffmpeg to scan through the video file from start to the starting position you request, resulting in repeated "frame = 0" lines. It'll get to the positions in time.

EDIT:

However, if you used a video that is 15min long, but your batch file is prepared to take up to 30min (3 unique ffmpeg calls), and you split them into 10min sections, the first will go fine, the 2nd will scan to the 10min mark (taking some time, but not as long as encoding) and will end at the 15min mark. The 3rd will scan to the 15min mark and just quit. You'll end up with 3 videos, but the last will be really small because it contains nothing.

Raikage46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't seem to work FFmpeg because I'm new to it D:
how do I add this "ffmpeg -i "video.avi" -s 480x240 -aspect 2:1 -r 20 -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 "VID_0001.AVI" ?

If it helps I'm using the latest one, static version.
You need to paste that into cmd while in the folder all your files are located.
Say if it was in Documents/FFmpeg, first you'd type "cd C:/Users/basher11/Documents/FFmpeg" or however your folder layout is.

It's all explained in exangels post on the last page anyway.
Run it from the command prompt. I wrote a step by step on page 2.

edit: *giggle @ prowler for beating me to referring to my post*

Thanks.
It's working now.

Nintendo should really make a normal video viewer.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
guys, feel free to try different resolutions framerates and compression rates, I'm testing a couple myself, but my computer isn't very fast. 10fps plays fine, qscale 4 also plays ok, I'm trying lower resolution now :)

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Weird. FFMPeg closes after I open it even without doing anything else. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
everyone who never heard of command-line tools i guess.
the program has no interface, so you need to tell it what to do before starting it.
usually this is done by giving direct commands through a file with a .bat extension, or through CMD.exe

EDIT: spinal_cord: could you perhaps add the split command so it only takes the first 10 minutes, and skips the rest if it's over 10 minutes?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: spinal_cord: could you perhaps add the split command so it only takes the first 10 minutes, and skips the rest if it's over 10 minutes?

I've actually began working on that. This is what I have so far for 2D videos (placed in a batch file, and quality of 13 from the range of 1 as best and 31 as worst).

Code:
del VID_*.AVI
del newVideo.avi
ffmpeg -i %1 -s 400x240 -aspect 2:1 -r 20 -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 13 -acodec copy "newVideo.avi"
ffmpeg -i "newVideo.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:09:59 "VID_0001.AVI"
ffmpeg -i "newVideo.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 -ss 00:09:59 -t 00:09:59 "VID_0002.AVI"
ffmpeg -i "newVideo.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 -ss 00:19:58 -t 00:09:59 "VID_0003.AVI"
ffmpeg -i "newVideo.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 -ss 00:29:57 -t 00:09:59 "VID_0004.AVI"

All that is required in Windows is to drag the video over the batch file, and it'll process the video, then split them, up to 29m57s of video. If you have a longer video, just mimick how the split is done. For some reason, making 10m videos exactly wasn't working on my 3DS, but 9m59s does. Also, audio encoding isn't done until during the split because ffmpeg kept having a problem splitting the adpcm format.

I'm sure someone else with more experience could improve on this.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
guys, feel free to try different resolutions framerates and compression rates, I'm testing a couple myself, but my computer isn't very fast. 10fps plays fine, qscale 4 also plays ok, I'm trying lower resolution now :)
I would say see if it can support other video codecs, like H264 or MPEG-4 (AKA Divx/Xvid). That should cut down on video size dramatically if the 3DS can actually play them.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I would say see if it can support other video codecs, like H264 or MPEG-4 (AKA Divx/Xvid). That should cut down on video size dramatically if the 3DS can actually play them.

Feel free.

D

Deleted User

Well, I tried it with Video.MP4 (Low quality youtube side-by-die mp4, and what it gave me after FFMpeg did its thing was:
Missing argument for option "R"

-nvm-

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gallery_171891_178_16940.png

;)

EDIT: http://gbatemp.net/topic/315365-3ds-video-v01-beta/

Reactions: 5 people

dmztheone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Guys!
This is working very good!
I appreciate the good work of Spinal.

But we have one issue yet to tackle. For example, the initial video (WoW - Wrath of the Lich King) has ~17MB. Each side spanned has ~56MB (left and right). Combined in the final file the 3D video has the double (~112MB). In my point of view, it is not much efficient.. Maybe we need to optimize the extraction process between 17MB to 56MB. I don't think that Nintendo videos are very large in terms of space.. maybe we can do that too..

Do you guys have any clues how to do this more efficiently? Maybe we need to convert to other format (Mov for instance or apply some filter..).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello