• Total voters

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I have a question, did someone tried ninja gaiden demo, it will be stylus only, (beware all anty stylus people
biggrin.gif
).

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the control pad. But really, it depends on the game. Some games just work better with the stylus (Zoo Keeper for example).

What tends to bug me is when they shove touchscreen use down your throat for a game that would have played just fine with the d-pad, and then offer no option to choose your preferred control method.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While I do like the stylus (Meteos being one of my all-time favorite games), I have an original DS and that means the stylus is damn small for my gigantic hands. I have a Lite stylus and even then that's not enough sometimes. I'm halfway tempted to buy a screen protector that comes with those pen-styled stylus things, really.

Jaejae

Superfly Don't Used
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Generally I prefer the D-Pad, I play FFIII, Orcs & Elves using only the D-Pad, but I can never seem to do diagonals using the DS Lite D-Pad, making Sabin's blitz attacks in FFVI Advance so limited.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i like buttons more, maybe since i lost GBA era, but i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals
i hate diagonals

did i say anything about diagonals?
those up-left and down-rights are SHIT.

i cant believe its the same company behind Wii-mote's diagonal.
they are from different planets.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
i like buttons more, maybe since i lost GBA era, but i hate diagonals
After the nightmare that was diagonals on an original GBA, the DS's are like little angels of the diagonal world
smile.gif
Still a pain in the arse though.

I normally prefer buttons, but the optional walk/run controls on Animal Crossing are slowly converting me. It's a lot easier to do vague running with the stylus on that title. The D-pad's better for precision stuff, I couldn't imagine doing a platformer with the stylus (NSMB's like that isn't it?).

IainDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Stylus, I get annoyed when games are made with the option to use the stylus or the control pad.

The DS is so popular because of it's touch screen so games shoud take advantage of it. I was happy when ZELDA was all touch screen.

Obviously I prefer controls for GBA games because . . . well . . OBVIOUSLY!

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer d-pad controls more. Personally, I'm so used to playing with them. Last year was the first time I bought a DS. I guess its kinda a drag to have to pull out that stylus all the time, and I lose mine really easy. It's a nice innovation, like it makes it so much easier if I'm playing something like Trauma Center, but some games are easy enough to play without the use of the stylus. I've been playing a lot of Phoenix Wright lately, and it's so easy to use the D-pad to select what I want, the L button to press the witness, and the R button to access the court record in play. And if I'm playing a real casual game like that, without fast paced action, I sometimes use my thumb instead of the stylus to navigate the touch screen. I know you aren't really supposed to but I don't care. I'll just take an eyeglass cloth and wipe off my screen.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. That's most cases. I forgot about Picross. It's easier to touch the block than to make my selector go all over it since I'm very random with my logic. I guess it depends on the game, but Im more of a d-pad fan. Oh, and btw, sometimes the stylus isn't as accurate as I like it to be. For me, the reactiveness depends on which angle I'm holding my stylus at. Sometimes I'll try to draw a line in WarioWare Touched! or maybe a picture in Drawn To Life, and it's kinda hard sometimes. And I have not put on my American Hori slightly cheaper quality screen protector just yet.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
No real preference for me, although in some situations the stylus is inappropriate to use, such as lying down in bed it becomes quite straining.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For diagonals, I use the tip of the thumb to hit up and the middle of my thumb to hit left, for example, but I always use tip and middle.

Control pad > stylus, but some games are good with stylus, or need it. (EBA, COD4)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la