'Console Wars' book is getting a TV series adaptation directed by 'Metal Gear Solid' movie director

console wars book'.png

Blake J. Harris' 2015 book 'Console Wars : Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle That Defined a Generation' delved into the historic 90s "battle" where a then-small company called Sega attempted to overtake gaming giant Nintendo in the gaming industry. Now this very book is getting a limited TV series adaptation. Production will be helmed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who have been trying to adapt the book since it came out. Jordan Vogt-Roberts, the director of 'Kong: Skull Island' and the upcoming 'Metal Gear Solid' movie, is set to direct this adaptation.

However, at the time of writing, no information was provided about the airing date or even the start of shooting.

While not a video game to movie adaptation, this series will explore the real-life drama that took place decades ago between two of the most beloved gaming companies. Will you be watching it? Or have you already read the book? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: SOURCE

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gotta be honest: I doubt it'll amount to much. Console wars is just one of the many "documentary" style books surrounding video games. I haven't read it, but really: it was never anything but standard, boring companies competing with each other. I'm not excluding the possibility that it will be a boring watch (the movie "the big short" is on the 2008 economic crisis and somehow manages to be hilarious), but I am expecting it.

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've read it (french translation).
It's very interesting, written more like a thrilling novel than a documentary.
I would definetly watch the serie.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hope there will be an added value, and citing people from who were directly involved in the console wars, not third party so called video game historians.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they weave in a little 'artistic license' and create something as cool as AMC's Halt and Catch Fire was to the early days of the PC industry (a fictional re-telling of history based on actual products and events), but for the console generation, I'm in.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gotta be honest: I doubt it'll amount to much. Console wars is just one of the many "documentary" style books surrounding video games. I haven't read it, but really: it was never anything but standard, boring companies competing with each other. I'm not excluding the possibility that it will be a boring watch (the movie "the big short" is on the 2008 economic crisis and somehow manages to be hilarious), but I am expecting it.
Don't label things you haven't touched. It's a very interesting story with many breaks and developments. If you are not interested in video games history, loads of people are.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine the audience for (essentially a) real life documentary about old video game consoles will be entertaining for the masses (like Kong was).

But I'd watch it :D

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't label things you haven't touched. It's a very interesting story with many breaks and developments. If you are not interested in video games history, loads of people are.
I feel like I explained myself badly. I've witnessed that "war" myself, and as such I can say that it was only coined a "war" years after it happened. I'm also interested in video game history, and have in fact read some books about it. Not this one, but "The ultimate history of video games" and "gamers at work" were very fine reads.

When I wrote that I don't think it'll amount to much, I didn't mean it as a story in a book, but rather as a story told through movie, television show or documentary. Stories can be written in such a way that a reader is sucked into the perspective of the narrator, which can make any situation tense. On a screen, that impact simply isn't the same.
I talked about 'The big short earlier'. This solves that situation by bending and reshuffling reality around the narrator. That's entertainment...it is, however, walking a thin line between keeping the audience both informed and entertained and blatantly lying.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I feel like I explained myself badly. I've witnessed that "war" myself, and as such I can say that it was only coined a "war" years after it happened. I'm also interested in video game history, and have in fact read some books about it. Not this one, but "The ultimate history of video games" and "gamers at work" were very fine reads.

When I wrote that I don't think it'll amount to much, I didn't mean it as a story in a book, but rather as a story told through movie, television show or documentary. Stories can be written in such a way that a reader is sucked into the perspective of the narrator, which can make any situation tense. On a screen, that impact simply isn't the same.
I talked about 'The big short earlier'. This solves that situation by bending and reshuffling reality around the narrator. That's entertainment...it is, however, walking a thin line between keeping the audience both informed and entertained and blatantly lying.
I think The Big Short would be a bad example for this because it is pretty much a documentary thinly disguised as a feature movie. A story like this lends itself much more to doing what The Social Network did, which is focusing on the internal drama and tension of the involved companies, rather than portray some abstract fight between brands. A good director can pull this off with no problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol