Console and mobile versions of 'League of Legends' to release next year

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Oct 16, 2019.

Front-page
    banner.JPG
    It's now official: League of Legends is coming to mobiles and consoles, confirming previous reports! Featuring the same competitive 5v5 gameplay as in PCs, the new version has been "totally rebuilt from the ground up for new platforms" and is titled League of Legends: Wild Rift. It has been adapted to consoles and mobile with a new map and a twin-stick control scheme, with matches lasting around 15-20 minutes. Wild Rift will also not support cross-platform play between League PC and mobile/console as Riot wants "to make sure the gameplay feels fair and fun no matter which platform you’re most comfortable on".

Riot's current targets for mobile specs are as follows:
    • Android: Compatibility to the equivalent to a Samsung Galaxy A7 (1GB RAM, Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor, and Adreno 306 GPU)
    • iOS: iPhone 5S and later
    The mobile version of Wild Rift is planned to go live "everywhere in the world by the end of 2020", with the console version coming sometime after. The game will launch with around 40 of LoL's existing champions with more to be added over time. Alphas and betas will be rolling out around the end of the year, starting in China and you can register on the official website linked below.

:arrow: SOURCE

Discussion (37 replies)
  1. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    They also presented a hearthstone-like game for Android, TFT, a shooter, and even a fighting game. This is gonna be good.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "to make sure the gameplay feels fair and fun no matter which platform you’re most comfortable on"

I guess the translation of that is no way mobile phone screen can keep up with PC inputs. Though oddly I was watching adverts for some tech company when in the US and part of the aspirational pro gamer thing saw them playing on a mobile phone.

Anyway curious to see what becomes of this.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I will 100% play League on console, I'm surprised this took so long.

Zense, KlariNoX and Baoulettes like this.
  4. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    I spent like 2 minutes actually laughing my ass off IRL at the stupidity of this entire thing, I get a mobile port, thats fine, but a TV show? an overwatch clone? a fighting game? an autochess game? a card game? DONT THEY HAVE A SINGLE ORIGINAL IDEA?!

Silent_Gunner and Xzi like this.
  5. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    But... why?

6. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Dec 31, 2016
    Sweden
    Shivering Isles
    To appeal more to the chinese market
    Tencent owns Riot so it's no surprise

7. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Because Tencent wants more money. I'd recommend not giving it to them.

They're looking to expand China's control over the eSports market, I doubt they ever gave any thought to an original concept.

8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Took them long enough.

9. 71r3n

71r3n GBAtemp Regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Germany
    So not even RIOT is capable of creating something that can compete with vainglory on mobile?
    Why always this fuckin useless stick.
    I have a touch device. My finger is my mouse. Screw this, not even gona download this as long as there is no taptowalk option.

Just play Vainglory for a bit, and u will never come back to any joystick based moba on a touch based device....

10. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Not needed

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  11. usernamecharlie

usernamecharlie GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2017
    Israel
    Vita Version please!

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Eww, screw that. Hard pass.

GuyInDogSuit likes this.
  13. ertaboy356b

ertaboy356b GBAtemp Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Everyone I know plays Mobile Legend so yeah, this will gonna be HUGE in Asia, not just China.

14. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Crazy that it took 10 years to release such a Popular game to console. I understand an android port taking a bit but doesnt league already have controller support?

15. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    As someone said: if you have ANY weight/stakes in the whole ActiBlizzard thing over Blitzchung's ban, do remember - Riot is owned 100% by the company that Blizzard's kowtowing to. To participate in league, but not in any ActiBliz content, is hypocrisy.

Xzi and RivenMain like this.
  16. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I don't know much about the current state of LoL popularity, so from fans' pov is this too much too late?

Last edited by Zense, Oct 16, 2019
  17. RivenMain

RivenMain GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    I'm joining the strike, but mostly because the past week I've been at 160 ping all day :nayps3:I don't know anyone that games on their phones.

18. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    I absolutely despise League of Legends as I've shared an apartment with a girl who cared about nothing but this game. She was a horrendously toxic person who didn't lift a finger on doing the cleaning, didn't want to help on expenses and made sure to be as vile and infantile as possible whenever things weren't to her liking. All she cared about was the fucking game. It was up to me to take out the garbage and even cleaning after the cat which wasn't mine.

It got to a point where I just don't care about anything Riot makes, whether it's LoL or a fighting game or whatever. It just feels like an outside thing to me. Good for those who like it, but not my cup of tea in the slightest.

Last edited by YukidaruPunch, Oct 16, 2019
    DarthDub, Xzi, RobXcore and 3 others like this.
  19. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Get me a Nintendo Switch version and I'll buy it ;)