Hardware Considering a 3DS but have some uncommon concerns about it.

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll start with the basics at the beginning. I've used a DS since the old giant ass grey ones came out ages ago and game boys before then. I updated to a DS Lite years ago and had to repair it a few times but stayed with it. I never had an interest in the DSi or any of the XL versions of any DS models. Still don't, just can't like them out of preference.

Anyway, my DS lite shell broke again a while back. And, while I could have fixed it, I was too lazy to since the Lite was nearing the end of it's life anyhow (already beaten most worthwhile games to play on it.) But I've been considering a 3DS for a while now, and would like a bit of input on how I would like to go about doing this, which is what the thread is for. And yes, I have somewhat odd requests/preferences that I would like to know if are bad ideas.

First off, the only current model of 3DS that I like, hardware wise (can't speak for performance, only talking about aesthetics and feel right now) is the basic normal small 3DS model. However, I realize that the 3DS, unlike the DS, is region locked. This is a bit of a problem for me for 2 reasons one of which I'm not concerned about all that much. However the 3DS shell I like most out of all currently released versions is the KH3D promo shell, which I'm to understand was a Japan only promo as of so far. Now I'm pretty good with my hands and haven't had any trouble getting the DS lite apart to replace my shell the few times it cracked. But is it a bad idea to replace the NA model 3DS that I get, with the shell from the Jap. KH version? I have no experience with 3DS hardware so I don't know if they would be incompatible or if it'd be some sort of issue changing it. Any input on if I can, can't, shouldn't, etc do that would be appreciated. I'm also open (and more likely) to just using the bland NA version for now and replacing the shell later if/when it gets worn out, but my concerns will come back into play when I do that, so I'd like input on it before I start with it.

Another few small concerns I have. I'm aware that none of my current flashcards will work on a 3DS and I've been considering a DSTWO for when I grab one. Should I? Also is there any significant reason why I shouldn't want a normal model 3DS?
This all outlined, I'd like some opinions on how I should go about changing over to 3DS and if there are any gaping holes in my mindset right now. If I'm wrong about something, so be it. That's why I'm asking here, to avoid messing things up.

P.S. Sorry for the full essay length concerns, I just didn't want to be too vague and get answers that don't really help.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll start with the basics at the beginning. I've used a DS since the old giant ass grey ones came out ages ago and game boys before then. I updated to a DS Lite years ago and had to repair it a few times but stayed with it. I never had an interest in the DSi or any of the XL versions of any DS models. Still don't, just can't like them out of preference.

Anyway, my DS lite shell broke again a while back. And, while I could have fixed it, I was too lazy to since the Lite was nearing the end of it's life anyhow (already beaten most worthwhile games to play on it.) But I've been considering a 3DS for a while now, and would like a bit of input on how I would like to go about doing this, which is what the thread is for. And yes, I have somewhat odd requests/preferences that I would like to know if are bad ideas.

First off, the only current model of 3DS that I like, hardware wise (can't speak for performance, only talking about aesthetics and feel right now) is the basic normal small 3DS model. 3ds has a problem with making to 2 large scratch but the xl does not have that problem
However, I realize that the 3DS, unlike the DS, is region locked. This is a bit of a problem for me for 2 reasons one of which I'm not concerned about all that much. However the 3DS shell I like most out of all currently released versions is the KH3D promo shell, which I'm to understand was a Japan only promo as of so far. Now I'm pretty good with my hands and haven't had any trouble getting the DS lite apart to replace my shell the few times it cracked. But is it a bad idea to replace the NA model 3DS that I get, with the shell from the Jap. KH version? as long as you make sure you did everything tight
I have no experience with 3DS hardware so I don't know if they would be incompatible or if it'd be some sort of issue changing it. there will be no issue as long as you did eveything right
Any input on if I can, can't, shouldn't, etc do that would be appreciated. I'm also open (and more likely) to just using the bland NA version for now and replacing the shell later if/when it gets worn out, but my concerns will come back into play when I do that, so I'd like input on it before I start with it.

Another few small concerns I have. I'm aware that none of my current flashcards will work ona 3DS and I've been considering a DSTWO for when I grab one. Should I? dstwo is the best
Also is there any significant reason why I shouldn't want a normal model 3DS? again two large scratches happen so to the raised bottom screen
This all outlined, I'd like some opinions on how I should go about changing over to 3DS and if there are any gaping holes in my mindset right now. If I'm wrong about something, so be it. That's why I'm asking here, to avoid messing things up.

P.S. Sorry for the full essay length concerns, I just didn't want to be too vague and get answers that don't really help.

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. Looked into the scratches problem and it seems it can be prevented (if you take intentional steps to actively prevent it...) by tweaking the rubber pads on the ends. Don't suppose that'd be enough to help? Particularly if I'd be intending to dismantle the console to replace the shell anyhow. Though really I'd have a spare screen replacement with the replacement shell anyhow. Worst case scenario I'll tinker with it a bit and see what I can do. Any other concerns with the old 3DS models other than the scratches?

aleXXXps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an R4i Gold from r4ids.cn, but it stopped working in my 3ds after a recent update (and they are terrible at updating their older revision cards). So I think you should do some research and look into an Acekard as a possibility.

I also liked the regular 3ds over the 3dsxl. I travel a lot and it fits so nicely in my bag. As far as scratches go, I haven't had many major problems with the black 3ds and I throw it around in bags and my pocket without a case or cover. The battery life on it is good enough for my short gaming sessions (1-2 hours max) and I have no problem charging it after that. I did buy an extended battery pack that replaces the old battery, but ended up not using it because I disliked the bulkiness.

aleXXXps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm...good to know. I've been meaning to replace mine soonish, but was going to wait until after E3 in case another major update comes out.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the region lock, I could be wrong about this, but don't you set the region when you first turn on the console? Meaning, none of the consoles have been set to a specific region at the factory, instead you set the region when you first set up the console. I could be wrong though. Maybe somebody else knows more about this than I do.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've replaced a couple of DSlite cases because of the poorly engineered hinge. It isn't horribly difficult, but it is beyond the average punter's ability. If that made you nervous at all I'd suggest you watch some break down videos for the 3DS... Hell even if it didn't and re-shelling that thing is important to you, watch the videos. I haven't torn down a 3DS yet, but the videos suggest that all the "scary/difficult" bits are more numerous and even more fragile.

OTOH, I once posted on this site that the 3DS shared all the physical design flaws of the DSlite/DSi. Years latter, while the same design flaws are there, my lack of faith in its durability has proven to be wrong. If you are looking to replace the housing because you think it will break, there is a good chance you never have to so that you can fix the hinge. If you are only worried about replacing the case for cosmetic reasons, then watch the videos and consider the level of difficulty vs. what you've already done... Then make your own call.

You sound pretty convinced already. If you buy one I suspect you will find it to be everything you hope it to be.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the region lock, I could be wrong about this, but don't you set the region when you first turn on the console? Meaning, none of the consoles have been set to a specific region at the factory, instead you set the region when you first set up the console. I could be wrong though. Maybe somebody else knows more about this than I do.

That's only country, and it doesn't affect what can/can't be played.
The 3DS Firmware is what determines regions (i.e. 5.1.11U, 4.1.0-11E, etc.)

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, for example North American 3DS' can choose most countries as their owner's location, but it doesn't really change anything for what games it can play. I'm not even sure if it lists Japanese prefectures or not, but it isn't that easy, sad to say.

edit: ninjas!

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also liked the regular 3ds over the 3dsxl. I travel a lot and it fits so nicely in my bag. As far as scratches go, I haven't had many major problems with the black 3ds and I throw it around in bags and my pocket without a case or cover. The battery life on it is good enough for my short gaming sessions (1-2 hours max) and I have no problem charging it after that. I did buy an extended battery pack that replaces the old battery, but ended up not using it because I disliked the bulkiness.

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I intend to take precautions against any of the scratching from the poor rubber pads, as soon as I get the console as well.
I've replaced a couple of DSlite cases because of the poorly engineered hinge. It isn't horribly difficult, but it is beyond the average punter's ability. If that made you nervous at all I'd suggest you watch some break down videos for the 3DS... Hell even if it didn't and re-shelling that thing is important to you, watch the videos. I haven't torn down a 3DS yet, but the videos suggest that all the "scary/difficult" bits are more numerous and even more fragile.

Yeah, I always watch videos so I know what I'm doing. I've replaced multiple parts of my friends' and my own DSLite as well. Really it would be mostly cosmetic, though in all reality, I'd likely not bother replacing it until the shell got worn out.

Also, thanks for everyone's answers/comments. I'll prolly go get one when I have the money. Can't really worry about it now as I had to move and any time/money is going towards house crap. But thanks for the feedback on when I get around to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill