Confused about Pokémon generations

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone

I've decided I want to try to get into Pokémon, even though it's never been a genre that has particularly interested me. I just want to give it a try. I've previously posted about where I should start in the serious, and the general consensus was that I should start with Fire Red/Leaf Green.

I was under the impression that these were remakes of the first generation Pokémon games, but according to this page on Bulbapedia, they are gen III. Can anyone clarify where if Fire Red/Leaf Green come in the sequence and whether these games would be a good starting point?

Thanks! :)

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pokemon Fire Red is a good start, yes they're technically gen 3 but thats just as it has support for gen 2 and 3 as it came out the same time as sapphire/ruby.

Its a good star though

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pokemon Fire Red is a good start, yes they're technically gen 3 but thats just as it has support for gen 2 and 3 as it came out the same time as sapphire/ruby.

Its a good star though
What do you mean when you say that it has support for gen 2 and 3? Do you mean in terms of trading Pokémon between these versions? And is the plot in Fire Red the same as original Red?

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if i remember correctly, after you've done the elite 4 you can ctach pokes you couldn't in the originals, i don;t think you can trade persay due to gb/gba incompatibility

Virdoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Difference between original Red, Blue, yellow and Fire red and Leaf green is that FR and LG are remakes of the originals. That means that they have better graphics, music, additional Pokemons (Gen 1,2 and some of 3rd gen are included). But they are mostly based on original games in Kanto. They are personally my favorites. The older the better.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi everyone

I've decided I want to try to get into Pokémon, even though it's never been a genre that has particularly interested me. I just want to give it a try. I've previously posted about where I should start in the serious, and the general consensus was that I should start with Fire Red/Leaf Green.

I was under the impression that these were remakes of the first generation Pokémon games, but according to this page on Bulbapedia, they are gen III. Can anyone clarify where if Fire Red/Leaf Green come in the sequence and whether these games would be a good starting point?

Thanks! :)

Fire Red and Leaf Green were remakes of Red/Blue/Green, the three original games on the Gameboy. They're also gen 3 games, because they have features and monsters from the third generation (accessible after you beat the game). They can't trade with gen 2 or gen 1 due to hardware differences between the GBA and the original Gameboy (& Color), as well as differences in how stats were calculated (gen 3 introduced more advanced concepts like natures and a few other things).

And yes, the plots of FRLG are the same as the original Red/Blue/Green games.

As for "sequence" they'd fit in at the beginning, replacing Red/Blue/Green, akin to Metroid Zero Mission more or less replacing the original NES Metroid.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fire Red and Leaf Green were remakes of Red/Blue/Green, the three original games on the Gameboy. They're also gen 3 games, because they have features and monsters from the third generation (accessible after you beat the game). They can't trade with gen 2 or gen 1 due to hardware differences between the GBA and the original Gameboy (& Color), as well as differences in how stats were calculated (gen 3 introduced more advanced concepts like natures and a few other things).

And yes, the plots of FRLG are the same as the original Red/Blue/Green games.

As for "sequence" they'd fit in at the beginning, replacing Red/Blue/Green, akin to Metroid Zero Mission more or less replacing the original NES Metroid.
Perfect, that's great. I want to start from the beginning but the Fire/Leaf versions seem much nicer. Thanks :)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Perfect, that's great. I want to start from the beginning but the Fire/Leaf versions seem much nicer. Thanks :)

Just know it'll be hard to go back if you ever feel like exploring the original gen 1 games since FR and LG have nice things like running shoes and better item organisation. :P

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If you play Fire Red / Leaf Green first it will certainly be harder to appreciate GEN 1 after that, then the massive improvements GEN 2 made.

However starting with Fire Red / Leaf Green you will at least be able to trade all your Pokemon up to GEN 7, although you will be able to from the Virtual Console re-releases of GEN1 early next year if you ever get in to Pokemon that much.

If starting with Fire Red / Leaf Green, you'd want to play Heart Gold and Soul Silver after that, then i'd probably play the original Ruby / Sapphire or Emerald rather than the GEN 6 remakes so it doesn't feel like too much of a downgrade when you come to GEN 4 and 5.

As someone who's now played all the games since GEN 1 your certainly in for a treat if you do get in to Pokemon, i've not played them all at release, however it's a series i keep coming back to every few years and catching up on the games i've missed.

That said i am totally addicted at the moment and working on a complete living Pokedex in GEN 6.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
if you really get in to it.. play next soul sliver/heart gold next. those games are like how i imagine crack cocaine is....

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
if you really get in to it.. play next soul sliver/heart gold next. those games are like how i imagine crack cocaine is....
I vouch for heart gold\soul silver

the only issue is they are laggy (slow framerate\slow input) however you get used to it...

heart gold and soulsiver are gen 4 (means they have all pokemon up to gen 4, and are build using the the real gen 4 games technology\engine)
however they are remakes of the gen 2 games....
i hope you got clarified about the gen and remakes stuff i may try it to explain if you wish...
basically it has been something like this:
they made the first games
they made the second games
they made the third games, and here they realized to bring the first games back, they changed the third games with the characters, map and give the first games a new look and the upgraded functions of gen 3
they released the fourth games and decide to make again remakes this time about the second games

hope i was not to confusing now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1