Gaming Confused about Forwarders....

SomeGuy2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking for various different forwarders around the net and came across This thread.

I thought a forwader was the channel wad that simply redirects your launch request to a predefined path boot.dol?

in the above thread they have a bunch of what is labeled as "Forwarders" but they are the .dol's them self. I read that I can use wadder to create the channel wad but doesn't that defeat the purpose of not updating the channel if the dol is updated?

I thought you install a channel forwarder into the wii that shows channel on system menu. that forwarder in redirects to a pre-defined path on an SD card. Everytime the boot.dol on the SD gets updated by the homebrew auther then all you need to do is replace the boot.dol and your set.

I mean it almost sounds like it a redirect to a redirect. Im sure im just missing or misunderstanding something. Can someone please help me understand?

Thanks,

SG

Lexip;

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dol is programmed to launch a dol file on your sd card.

Inject dol into wad.
Channel is ran. Injected dol runs dol on sd card.

SomeGuy2009

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks but im still a little confused.

I have some older "what I thought where older forwarders" that I dont think have any dol injected into them. The forwarder/channel just simply points to a path on the SD such as SD:/apps/mplayer_ce/boot.dol.

Now I have tested by simply putting other boot.dol's into the same path as above and the new boot.dol still launches and works via the same channel from the system menu.

SG

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The way those forwarder .dol files work, is you need to inject them. They still point to a path. They're just set up so you can choose your own banner (you inject it into a .wad that has a banner you like/made). Once you inject the forwarder.dol, you only need to update the forwarder.dol's target. Not the forwarder itself.

Those 'old' forwarder .wad files work exactly the same way, but they already have a set banner (meaning no injection required).

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SG, you are right that's how they should work. Some people do not know how to write an explanation very well when trying to educate others.

-Wynd

ViciousXUSMC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started using a few .wad forwarders (usb loader & snes emu) I have not come across any .dol versions yet and if I did I would have been stuck too because I am not familiar with injecting.

The only injector program I know of is InjectUWad and I do believe its only purpose is to create stand alone channels for games instead of having to use a emulator for them.

I guess take a VC game for that console and inject a rom into it and it will over write the original game with a new one.

So mind telling me what the program is that you would inject a .dol into a existing .wad file and how that works (does it completely over write the old .wad so you do not have to worry about what its previous functions were) and how do you make your own banner? That would be good to know as I do have a lot of photoshop experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario