Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Sacohen9665 said:
If that is the case (and I'm not doubting you Dr. Clipper) what was Spidy 1000 mean when he responded to my post of How can I exit a game back to the loader GUI by saying
Spidy1000 said:
install the loader dol in preloader en set preloader to load the file. If you search the forum, you will find multiple topics about this

You need to set Preloader up as he says, to autoboot to the .dol from Narolez' forwarder, then use the Reset button on the Home screen to quit your games, as this usually resets the console and Preloader should get control again. Some games (especially Nintendo published titles) just restart the game, so you will need to use the Power button on the Wii Remote or console to reset those games. It is also possible the Wii Menu button on the Home screen will trigger Preloader as well, but I can't be sure as I don't use Preloader and I've never seen anyone answer what happens in this case.

QUOTE(User423 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:01 PM)
@oggzee

Could you add something like "disable_intro = 1"?
He can't. By the time the loader reads the config file, the intro screen is already complete. In the chat, we discussed some ways of disabling the intro screen, though...

@everyone (especially Narolez and zektor): which of these methods to optionally disable the intro screen would you prefer:[*]If the boot.dol is in apps/USBLoader-cfg-nointro (or a similar name) then the intro screen is not shown.[*]Have the channels pass arguments to disable the introATM, method 1 works with HBC and all channels but the full channel when it isn't forwarding. Method 2 won't work with HBC (unless they add argument support via meta.xml), but would work with the full channel alone, but multiple versions of the channels would be needed with each release, or you would need to use a button combo to configure whether the intro screen loads or not (this is not an option for the loader, just so you know).

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Sacohen9665 said:
If that is the case (and I'm not doubting you Dr. Clipper) what was Spidy 1000 mean when he responded to my post of How can I exit a game back to the loader GUI by saying
Spidy1000 said:
install the loader dol in preloader en set preloader to load the file. If you search the forum, you will find multiple topics about this
You need to set Preloader up as he says, to autoboot to the .dol from Narolez' forwarder, then use the Reset button on the Home screen to quit your games, as this usually resets the console and Preloader should get control again. Some games (especially Nintendo published titles) just restart the game, so you will need to use the Power button on the Wii Remote or console to reset those games. It is also possible the Wii Menu button on the Home screen will trigger Preloader as well, but I can't be sure as I don't use Preloader and I've never seen anyone answer what happens in this case.

I have the preloader set to auto boot to the dol and I also have the system Menu option set to go to the dol also sowhen I boot the Wii the first ting I see is the CFG USB Splash screen (I have mixed feelings about that, it's better than sitting on black and thinking tghe system locked up, but it would be nice if it was configurable like everything else).

Then when I hit home and the Wii Menu it goes back to the loader.

Not quite what I wanted, but it is better the going back to the menu and having to click to launch the loader again.

Oh BTW I like the idea of the music that everyone is talking about.

Oggzee, please keep up the great work. This is the only loader I use.

I have 1 or 2 other to test a game if it is not working right on CFG USB Loader, but most of the time it's the game not the loader that is the problem.

Thanks;

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Sacohen9665 said:
I have the preloader set to auto boot to the dol and I also have the system Menu option set to go to the dol also sowhen I boot the Wii the first ting I see is the CFG USB Splash screen (I have mixed feelings about that, it's better than sitting on black and thinking tghe system locked up, but it would be nice if it was configurable like everything else).
It's impossible to configure that screen in the traditional sense. If you have a different splash screen that you would prefer, post it and it might be added instead of the current one if other people prefer it too.

QUOTE said:
It's good to finally get confirmation this is possible. Oh, I've meant to ask people this... Can you now actually get back to the Wii menu from the loader without holding the reset button on the console to interrupt Preloader?

Not quite what I wanted, but it is better the going back to the menu and having to click to launch the loader again.
What do you want exactly? I'm just curious here. The Home screen is important for at least one game (Another Code R uses it to solve a puzzle), so it shouldn't be removed. If you do just want one button resets of games, hold the power button on the remote and most games will reboot the Wii instead of switching it off.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
@everyone (especially Narolez and zektor): which of these methods to optionally disable the intro screen would you prefer:
  1. If the boot.dol is in apps/USBLoader-cfg-nointro (or a similar name) then the intro screen is not shown.
  2. Have the channels pass arguments to disable the intro

1. Well, it really doesn't matter to me. I actually *like* the intro screen personally (I really kind of liked the LARGE logo previously), and I do not really see any reason to disable it. Each loader should have some kind of trade mark upon load in my personal opinion.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v43b (beta)

http://sharebee.com/c9565cd3
(or online update)

* Improved antialiasing in coverflow (sharper)
* Reorganized game options screen:
- Allow to change saved options
- Unsaved changes are private per-game, not global
- Moved alt.dol selection to options menu
* Minor gui fixes: style switching, screen scale glitch

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Good work as always, oggzee
smile.gif
. The new alt .dol method should make things much easier for the easily confused. They are just there in the list like everything else.

I just realised something else on the loading screen thing. Those that dislike the intro screen, is it because you are using a forwarder and it comes after the splash screen they employ? What if the channel guys just started using the same splash screen so it will hopefully be a somewhat seamless transition between the two?

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Dr. Clipper said:
I just realised something else on the loading screen thing. Those that dislike the intro screen, is it because you are using a forwarder and it comes after the splash screen they employ? What if the channel guys just started using the same splash screen so it will hopefully be a somewhat seamless transition between the two?
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea actually.

wait,... the forwarders doesn't add any additional intro screen while loading, so the only thing that could be changed is the fullscreen image of the forwarder (the banner) that is visible in the system menu, but i'm not sure how would that look?

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Dr. Clipper said:
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea actually.

But the thing is, neither my channel hybrid or Narolez's forwarder have any kind of splash screen. If the user is using either of these, it is pretty much the same as running the dol straight up.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
It's impossible to configure that screen in the traditional sense. If you have a different splash screen that you would prefer, post it and it might be added instead of the current one if other people prefer it too.

No what is there is fine.

QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
It's good to finally get confirmation this is possible. Oh, I've meant to ask people this... Can you now actually get back to the Wii menu from the loader without holding the reset button on the console to interrupt Preloader?

I need to look at the Pre-loader options again, but the way I have it setup right now you can't

What do you want exactly? I'm just curious here. The Home screen is important for at least one game (Another Code R uses it to solve a puzzle), so it shouldn't be removed. If you do just want one button resets of games, hold the power button on the remote and most games will reboot the Wii instead of switching it off.

I wanted to hit 1 button and return to the loader GUI, but they way I have it set up now is fine. I understand somethings are not possible for reason that I may not know, but if it's pointed out to me then that's fine.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
But the thing is, neither my channel hybrid or Narolez's forwarder have any kind of splash screen. If the user is using either of these, it is pretty much the same as running the dol straight up.
Oops. I was just working off the comments of one of the guys who was vocally objecting to the splash screen in chat, as he said there were two screens before the loader started, but I guess the first is just the banner logo. Scratch that idea, then.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
zektor said:
Right! Realized that after posting, and edited the post but was already too late
smile.gif

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
zektor said:
Right! Realized that after posting, and edited the post but was already too late
smile.gif

Hehe..no problem
smile.gif
I really like the new alt.dol option btw...should solve much confusion for people now
smile.gif

I also do agree on the game audio preview implementation spoken of a few posts back (added in the recent WiiFlow) Hope this could eventually be added to CFG...it really is a nice touch.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dr. Clipper said:
So it's working now? If not, did you try what I suggested? The reason is that it won't use the USB-Loader/covers directory unless there is a config.txt in the USB-Loader directory (it would use apps/USBLoader/covers instead). Copying the contents of the InSDRoot directory across will give you the proper directory structure for the default path.

well, i hope that will make it work but i wont have access to the computer with the files on it for a few days, once i get it back i will check if what you and oggzee said will fix it.

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
cfg v43b (beta)

http://sharebee.com/c9565cd3
(or online update)

* Improved antialiasing in coverflow (sharper)
* Reorganized game options screen:
- Allow to change saved options
- Unsaved changes are private per-game, not global
- Moved alt.dol selection to options menu
* Minor gui fixes: style switching, screen scale glitch

I like the new alt.dol feature.
I can just set the dol I want to use and save the game option so my wife doesn't need to worry about anything when she goes to play NHL2K9.

I noticed it was moved on the options page, a little lower down, no big deal, just something I wasn't expecting.

Also I think I like the fact the a game that has saved options shows up as greyed out. It kind of tells you that this game is different.

Just a mention.
Great work though.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Sacohen9665 said:
I like the new alt.dol feature.
I can just set the dol I want to use and save the game option so my wife doesn't need to worry about anything when she goes to play NHL2K9.
Well, you could already get the same functionality with the disc option then saving as you start the game, but it is easier and less confusing now, for sure.

QUOTEAlso I think I like the fact the a game that has saved options shows up as greyed out. It kind of tells you that this game is different.
Are you saying you preferred it the old way? I haven't checked myself yet, but if oggzee implemented this the way he said he would, then there are two ways you can see whether a game has saved options or not. Firstly, when you save options, the field markers around the option values should change from to []. Options will change back to if you make a change to them without saving. Secondly, you can use "console_mark_saved = 1" in config.txt and games with options will be marked in the console listing view (with a # IIRC).

The greying out doesn't really work with the being able to change values after saving that is there now, because of the way the selected_bg/selected_fg colour scheme works.

Golfje

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey Guys,

Mayby a stupid question but i recently use this loader but i don't know how to
get in the globel settings ????

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Dr. Clipper said:
Are you saying you preferred it the old way? I haven't checked myself yet, but if oggzee implemented this the way he said he would, then there are two ways you can see whether a game has saved options or not. Firstly, when you save options, the field markers around the option values should change from to []. Options will change back to if you make a change to them without saving.
Actually i left that out as well in 43b, the options always have < > around values, the only way to tell if the options have been saved is by looking at: Game options: [ SAVED ] I think this should be enough. And the reason is, I didn't want to make the impression that the options are not changeable by putting them to [ ] when saved.

QUOTE(Golfje @ Sep 14 2009, 08:41 AM) Hey Guys,
Mayby a stupid question but i recently use this loader but i don't know how to
get in the globel settings ????
Press 1 twice.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of liked the old way of booting alt dols since it allowed you to easily switch between dols for Metroid Prime Trilogy. But at the same time I can see how the new setup is easier for people to understand, so I'll adapt.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
I kind of liked the old way of booting alt dols since it allowed you to easily switch between dols for Metroid Prime Trilogy. But at the same time I can see how the new setup is easier for people to understand, so I'll adapt.
The old way still works, so you have the best of both worlds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop opening pms from @Psionic Roshambo