Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
gizmomelb said:
the text in flow mode is black on black, the text in iris etc. mode is white on black (much easier to read)
Usptactical got your other ones, and this is probably because your theme is poorly configured. Check the "I want to change the text color, shadows and outline in the GUI mode." option on this page to see how to fix the problem.

The guide on that page covers all the options by their primary function in simple English, so if you just go through expanding only the features you want, you can easily work out what is needed in your theme.txt and config.txt.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
thanks Dr. Clipper - but I'm using the standard simple gui (number 2 I think) theme that comes with Configurable USB Loader, not a custom one.

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
TyRaNtM said:
Other thing that i was wondering.. about "Today's Play History" in Wii Message Board.
Homebrew Channel, USB Loader Forwarders, etc.. log the name and time in Message Board.
For example, you go to Homebrew Channel, you quit to Wii Menu and you have in Message Board:
Homebrew Channel
00:01

The same thing with USB Loader fowarders.
Now, i want to ask, if is possible some things:

- Bypass USB Loader to not log USB Loader forwarder name and time (this is Fowarder fault, i know).
- In CFG USB Loader, a option to log a specific game. For example, i want to log "Wii Sports Resort" like a original game that appear in Wii Message Board. Is possible to do?

I want to re-up this question if this is possible.
Also, i think that in CFG Loader will be good if is forced a reboot to HC or Wii Menu after a update (to force you to reload the .dol).

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
gizmomelb said:
thanks Dr. Clipper - but I'm using the standard simple gui (number 2 I think) theme that comes with Configurable USB Loader, not a custom one.
Right, and it uses the default text colours which are black text alone for non-coverflow modes and white text with auto-coloured outline for coverflow modes. The default background for that theme is just the plain bg_gui.png which is grey and should be OK for displaying everything. If you still want to change them to make the text the same in all modes, go into sd:/usb-loader/themes/cfg_Simple/theme.txt and add:

gui_text_color=white
gui_text_outline=FF

bnm81002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
bryandir said:
does this loader support disc graphics?

like when i press the game to boot,a little pictur eof the game disc spinning comes up complete with graphics?
It can display disc art in the console and non-coverflow GUI modes. Just set "cover_style=disc" in theme.txt or config.txt. They don't spin.

I have covers as "cover_style=3d", so how do I have discs as well?

burritoboy9984

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gui = start
gui_style = flow
gui_rows = 3
gui_lock = 1

So if I have those in my config, it should lock it to 3 rows? Or how exactly does that feature work? Also... if that is the case, and it does "lock" it to 3 rows or whatever is defined... I think it would be SLICK if I could press up and see the back cover... since the up button is no longer doing anything
smile.gif
Doesn't seem as if it would be too hard to implement, would it?

Thanks for all your amazing work! Keep up all the hard work!
-Erik

Takoru

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
burritoboy9984 said:
gui = start
gui_style = flow
gui_rows = 3
gui_lock = 1

So if I have those in my config, it should lock it to 3 rows? Or how exactly does that feature work? Also... if that is the case, and it does "lock" it to 3 rows or whatever is defined... I think it would be SLICK if I could press up and see the back cover... since the up button is no longer doing anything
smile.gif
Doesn't seem as if it would be too hard to implement, would it?

Thanks for all your amazing work! Keep up all the hard work!
-Erik
It just does lock gui_style, not the rows.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can somebody please test something for me? What you need:

cIOS222 v3 installed
Guitar Hero Guitar
Rock Band 2 iso on your WBFS drive

I seem to be having an issue with this game that I just cannot track down. While playing the game in USBLoaderCFG (latest v40-222), I can play a few songs (two or so) just fine, but when I get to the third or fourth song, I get this nasty 3-second freeze/stutter right in the middle of playing.

I tested the game the other day in Uloader, and I did not experience this...but maybe I just didn't play it there enough. I can re-create it each and every time I play it with CFG and cIOS222 v3. I tried multiple ways of installing (default, 37 merge 36, 38 merge 36) to no avail. I can play it flawlessly with rev14, so it boils down to either an issue with the cios (more likely) or an issue with how CFG is using it.

Either way, can someone else with the resources (even if you do not have a guitar hero guitar) test it out and let me know if they experience something to this effect? Remember, you have to play through a few songs before it happens. Thanks for any help!

milcoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

some background I made for the Wii. I'm also thinking about making a Theme with these. Any 1 interested?

a 1024 x 768 version with another switch.

PNo4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TyRaNtM said:
Also, i think that in CFG Loader will be good if is forced a reboot to HC or Wii Menu after a update (to force you to reload the .dol).

The only way to get the game name to show up in the message board instead of homebrew channel is to run it from disc or make channels for the game and boot that way.

Bellini

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys I have this installed perfectly fine and its running smooth.. I also installed 222/223 and when I run rock band with 223-mload im able to get the drums and guitar, but when I do the same with (guitar hero metallica) the guitar or drums wont detect.. does anyone know about this?

xakmad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
probably very low on your list, guys but i have to ask
wink.gif

i default to gui ON , with admin lock ON, favorites ON and have the kids favorites not hidden (barbie, dora...)
(this isnt what i set out to ask ,m but why can still get onto the install app when admin lock is on?)
thing is, when i get admin unlocked, and see the hidden games, i can still see all their (rubbish!) games as well as mine (ie guns and blood and stuff)

----
Option 1
so here's my thought - can we get profiles ?
ie you can set up 2-4 users
you start with either a 'named profile' or a 'user-logon screen*'
the current unlock (5 secs) would change to "chose another user*"

each one has its own settings.cfg (isnt that were the hidden/favorites/etc all are?)
perhaps it could be tied in with themes?

if they choose an 'admin_unlocked profile' _THEN_ you have to do the password, not 5 second button pressing, (otherwise you just go straight to the non-admin profile)

*login screen would be 4 BIG buttons filling each corner of the screen with a mii, name, icon, whatever
i suppose its a bit like logging into a 360 or ps3?

----
Option 2
so if thats too tricky, what about a 'game categories' where you can create say, 6 categories as Tabs accross the top of screen (Home Brew Browser)
then put allow games to be put in all / some of those categories (repeated in some)
A Tab could be passsword protected, so the violent games are out of harms way
So the Tabs could be e.g. Dad/Bob/Katie, or sports/platform/shooters/misc

not as good a solution (for me), but maybe easier to program and maybe it would be more acceptable to other users with large collections?
-----

i realise you that you share your save-games of 'games which are in more than 1 profile/tab', but they havent messed up any save games, yet!)

with 270+ game, i see this as a fairly good (easy) way to start dividing them?

hope you dont mind the suggestion - love this app, used it since cfg26ish, and the care and attention put in really puts it in a class of its own.

anyone any views?

Xak

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
PNo4 said:
TyRaNtM said:

The only way to get the game name to show up in the message board instead of homebrew channel is to run it from disc or make channels for the game and boot that way.

I know that way (channels for the game), but i also think that maybe in CFG USB Loader that option can be created..

usptactical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xakmad said:
wink.gif

i default to gui ON , with admin lock ON, favorites ON and have the kids favorites not hidden (barbie, dora...)
(this isnt what i set out to ask ,m but why can still get onto the install app when admin lock is on?)
thing is, when i get admin unlocked, and see the hidden games, i can still see all their (rubbish!) games as well as mine (ie guns and blood and stuff)

Admin lock, which was renamed to admin_unlock for just this reason (potential confusion), is enabled by default. This means that by just running the v40 dol, it's turned on. You actually have to go out of your way to disable it by adding the line to config.txt. In your case, where you want to lock out the kids from things, you should probably add simple=1 to your config.txt. This will lock them out of everything but starting a game.

As far as profiles and what not, here's a tip that may help: add simple=1 to config.txt (locks kids out of everything INCLUDING Game Options) and then hide all the blood-and-guts games. Then for those games only you want to see (the blood and guts ones), make them a favorite. Then they only see Dora and Barbie, and when you unlock just press 2 and you only see Blood and Guts.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
xakmad said:
wink.gif

admin_lock does not turn on the other childproof options. Add "disable_install=1" and "disable_remove=1" and whatever other options you want disabled for the kids (use "simple = 1" to turn them all off) and then those actions will not be available until you use the password. See the Child/idiot proofing section of my options page to see what other options you have.
QUOTEthing is, when i get admin unlocked, and see the hidden games, i can still see all their (rubbish!) games as well as mine (ie guns and blood and stuff)

anyone any views?

Xak
You can implement profiles already. Don't have a config.txt in sd:/usb-loader and the loader will use the location of the .dol as the base directory, so you can have different settings.cfg files in different directories. That way you have the loader that your kids can launch and a different one that you launch to play your games.

Another way to do what you want is to set all your games as favourites (and none of the kid's games). That way, after unlocking, you can just push the favourites button and all your games will appear rather than the kids' games.

Dang: usptactical beat me on the favourites idea. Oh well.

xakmad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks to both of you for the advice - simple=1 done, never realised it was only related to hiding, my bad

i guess the problem is that with 270+ games on a 1tb, i wanted specific games for each person.
I had already hidden all the 'gun' games, but HAD to favoritize(!) 20 games out of 270 for them to easily find (so show favs is on in my config)
and with admin_off i wanted say 30 games as favorites (but not the same ones!)

i take the point of 2 seperate folders, but i have JUST moved away from those !!!
it required 2 different HBC entries usb:\apps\usbLoader_kids and usb:\apps\usbLoader_admin, and it was too easy for them to get into my stuff.
Harder to maintain 2 config files, and the Naz (!) forwarder for preloader would only chose one. but which is best?

Its probably less rare now, but not a truely BAD example, but "My Docs" would never have 200 docs all lashed into that 1 folder, it would be organised, and thats what a different settings.cfg per user would do the trick instead of multiple installs

sorry, i havent used themes, and never installed/used the "usb:/usb-loader" folder

so, sorry guys, i LOVE the app as i said, and will never NOT use it, no way, but still stand by it - need a better way of organising these games, esp bigger drives, faster bandwidth, etc

sorry, dont mean to cause offense, i'll shrink away into a corner now

P.S Any chance of a Hidden symbol in bottom right of covers (same a the mario-star in the top right for Favs)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
xakmad said:
thanks to both of you for the advice - simple=1 done, never realised it was only related to hiding, my bad
The unlock option does unlock the simple setup, so it isn't only related to hiding. It's just that hiding is the only thing that is forced on in locked mode.

How's this for some alternative options: Seeing as you have the kids' loader on the USB partition, why don't you use an SD card for your version of the loader. You can hide the SD card physically from the kids and the forwarder checks the SD locations first, so you just have to plug in the card before using your version. Another option would be to have the kids use the forwarder and you use HBC on the alternate directory you used to have again.

One thing to note here is that you can have completely different favourite lists in both, lock both by password and hide every game you install so that the kids can't access your version any more, even if they found the SD card, and you can use the "hide_game" option in config.txt to hide the kids' games from your version permanently (the hide_game option in config.txt is separate to the games you set in the loader and is not undone by the admin unlock).

The only real negative with this is you need to hide the game in both versions whenever you install a new game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here