Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
olliepop2000 said:
Why would you want to keep the souce private? it's not for profit so why would you not want to have many minds looking over your latest work? having more people could check for bugs or look for ways sections that could be improved, it could be all for the greater good?
Or we could get people releasing fake versions of the Loader that brick systems again like what happened a few months ago. Or people trying to put the alpha/beta versions of the FAT code into other projects before all the bugs are worked out. The source for FAT loading is coming in the release version of v46. It won't take long to wait. In the meantime, v44 is there for checking virtually everything else.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
olliepop2000 said:
Why would you want to keep the souce private? it's not for profit so why would you not want to have many minds looking over your latest work? having more people could check for bugs or look for ways sections that could be improved, it could be all for the greater good?
First, he's not keeping the source private (once it's in a better state he said he'd release a more current version). Also, I think he's just not looking forward to 20 forks of it, as happened with USB Loaders in the first place (I seem to remember personally using at least 3 or 4 forks of them with slightly different features before USB Configurable Loader rose above and got really awesome). I can't say I blame him there, it was pretty confusing at the time I remember.

Jodiskett

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
Jman69 said:
Is this special version identical to the standard version with ios=222-mload and partition=FAT1 in the config, or is there something else special about this build that makes it different?
It's otherwise identical, only the ios and partition defaults are changed.
But that means less ios reloads at startup if your setup is 222 & fat.

With the normal release, if you put ios=222-mload and parition=fat1 to your config, what will happen is this:
- IOS249 is loaded
- config is read and then
- IOS222 with FAT module is reloaded.

While the special 222-fat version will skip IOS249 completely, and load IOS222 with FAT module. Second IOS reload won't happen and thus make the startup faster.
great job oggzee

really a pleasure to use your loader and see your work

THE_DBX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Jodiskett said:
oggzee said:
Jman69 said:
Is this special version identical to the standard version with ios=222-mload and partition=FAT1 in the config, or is there something else special about this build that makes it different?
It's otherwise identical, only the ios and partition defaults are changed.
But that means less ios reloads at startup if your setup is 222 & fat.

With the normal release, if you put ios=222-mload and parition=fat1 to your config, what will happen is this:
- IOS249 is loaded
- config is read and then
- IOS222 with FAT module is reloaded.

While the special 222-fat version will skip IOS249 completely, and load IOS222 with FAT module. Second IOS reload won't happen and thus make the startup faster.
great job oggzee

really a pleasure to use your loader and see your work
Same answers for me ! Thank's for your work !

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
zektor said:
If I were the author, I would separate my FAT32 code from the main source and create my own module that was NOT under GPL....then have the source simply point to that module. This way, I could release the main source and keep my FAT32 code closed source. The only thing you would be able to obtain is a standard source with pointer code to the module. Afterward I would let the crying commence!

That way, every loader could add support for it. But nobody could fix bugs in it. Good plan.

I want the source code, so I can add NTFS support.

newwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oggzee said:
newwolf said:
Hey,
I just updated to 46b and my wbfs drive gives a error "wbfs error: hd num sector doesn't match"
When I had 46a2 there wasn't this problem is there somethink to fix this?
(yes I know a little bit back I also mentioned some problem with my partition)
Maybe this can fix it.
grz.,
Newwolf
Oh that's an unfortunate coincidence for you, while implementing the partition= option, i re-enabled the wbfs partition size consistency checks, and so it errors out on you because you have made an unsupported partition resize. I might change that error to a warning in the release. But what I suggest you do is copy your games off the partition, reformat the wbfs partition and copy the games back, so that you have a consistent state. With the way you have it now it's just waiting for a corruption to happen, by either installing additional games overwriting the partition that follows the wbfs partition, or writing to the partition that follows corrupting your games. Depends of course of the partition size and the used amount.

That's a thing! but you are saying it's the check of size consistency.
is there a possibility to go around this with wbfs_file.exe so i can backup my games.
PLEASE !!!!
rolleyes.gif

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
newwolf said:
That's a thing! but you are saying it's the check of size consistency.
is there a possibility to go around this with wbfs_file.exe so i can backup my games.
PLEASE !!!!
rolleyes.gif
Yes, use the -f flag. (It's not documented)
wink.gif

Example:

wbfs_file -f W: extract_wbfs_all D:\wbfs

FoGBaV

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A little P2P Client would be awesome in case i get lost of all my game Backups on HDD ...8)

We have the Name of the wbfs files - we have a md5 checksum - now it's time to get the rest of missing games on HDD with a P2P or F2F connection over internet.

It works at the moment wit Covers - why not expanding for the .wbfs files also ?

Online Community Mode ... the real one i have to say ...8)

Let your WII powered on at night and get all destroyed backups back. Help members with a little upload to help out the crying child witch has lost his favorite game because of physcal errors on DVD.

Also it would give the name usb LOADER a new name ... *ggg*

Just an idea ...

and ... this has nothing to do with piracy ... only for games you legaly own (e.g. all games for region PAL)

8)

inAcrysis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FoGBaV said:
A little P2P Client would be awesome in case i get lost of all my game Backups on HDD ...8)

We have the Name of the wbfs files - we have a md5 checksum - now it's time to get the rest of missing games on HDD with a P2P or F2F connection over internet.

It works at the moment wit Covers - why not expanding for the .wbfs files also ?

Online Community Mode ... the real one i have to say ...8)

Let your WII powered on at night and get all destroyed backups back. Help members with a little upload to help out the crying child witch has lost his favorite game because of physcal errors on DVD.

Also it would give the name usb LOADER a new name ... *ggg*

Just an idea ...

and ... this has nothing to do with piracy ... only for games you legaly own (e.g. all games for region PAL)

8)

P2P on Wii? That will never happen.

Don't suppose it can even be done anyway.
Presume you were having a laugh
biggrin.gif

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
FoGBaV said:
Right...

If you own your games, you can rip them from the disc yourself MUCH faster than any sort of networked application. This wouldn't be used for anything but piracy.

Edit: Thought I'd mention that I did see your point about only using it for destroyed backups, but it is very unlikely somebody will destroy both their backup and their original disc.

Xras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been testing V46b and everything seems to be working perfectly (500GB FAT32 USB).
I've only encountered 1 error. GH5 won't load for me anymore.
I'm starting up on 223-mload. got 002 fix on, country patch on (using NTSC version on PAL wii).

Is this a known problem? or is it just some setting that's not right?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Xras said:
I've been testing V46b and everything seems to be working perfectly (500GB FAT32 USB).
I'm starting up on 223-mload. got 002 fix on, country patch on (using NTSC version on PAL wii).

Try to set
Video: System Default
Video Patch: On

I don't think Country Fix is needed.
wink.gif

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Xras said:
Can you try also v46a2 and see if it makes any difference?
Is anyone else able to reproduce this problem?
Or, can anyone confirm that GH5 works for him when loaded from fat?

Xras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's working now. Thanks Laurozza for the suggestion.
Problem was the IOS loading the game.
This fixed it for me:
Start up CFG loader on IOS 223/FAT1 (normal setting for me)
Settings for GH5:
IOS 222-mload
IOS reload blocked
002 fix on
Default vid mode
No other pathes enabled.

If someone else has the same troubles, this might fix it. (starting GH5 on the other mload than you're starting CFGloader with)

EDIT: oggzee, this was the first time i tried loading it from FAT. Other times i've loaded it from WBFS, and the 223-mload with IOS reload blocked worked.
It only stopped working as soon as i started CFGloader with IOS 223-mload.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Xras said:
It's working now. Thanks Laurozza for the suggestion.
Problem was the IOS loading the game.
This fixed it for me:
Start up CFG loader on IOS 223/FAT1 (normal setting for me)
Settings for GH5:
IOS 222-mload
IOS reload blocked
002 fix on
Default vid mode
No other pathes enabled.

If someone else has the same troubles, this might fix it. (starting GH5 on the other mload than you're starting CFGloader with)

EDIT: oggzee, this was the first time i tried loading it from FAT. Other times i've loaded it from WBFS, and the 223-mload with IOS reload blocked worked.
It only stopped working as soon as i started CFGloader with IOS 223-mload.
You shouldn't need to block IOS reload, 002 fix shouldn't need to be on and your choice of IOS was probably just to choose the one that had IOS37 merged. Do you know what your IOS222/223 configurations are (i.e., version number and IOS merge type)?

Xras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
AFAIK 222 is the default and 223 was 36 merged with 37
unsure.gif
. versions are the latest (v4)
Can't remember correctly, because it has been a while since i installed them
unsure.gif

By default, i have 002 fix on because GH5 gave the infamous 002 error when i loaded it from WBFS.
I can try without IOS reload blocked as soon as i can get my son to stop playing Lego batman, lol

Soon as I can, i'll try more settings and find the most ideal one, even though it's working now
smile.gif

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
@oggzee:
What is the filename of the tenth file: "name.wbf10" or "name.wb10" or any other?

I have taken a short and fast look into your code (wbfs_file) but I have not found the file name generation.
But I have found a lot of possible buffer overrun errors while processing file names, conv_to_wbfs() for example.

One hint: Use "char newname[PATH_MAX]" or "char newname[PATH_MAX+x]" instead of "char newname[1024]"

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
The new WWT is out. It supports splitted WBFS files (oggzee format) with all commands (init,add,format,list,filetype,df,...).
Listings for example of all wbfs (splitted or not) can be done with "wwt lm *.wbfs'.
Only creating many WBFS files with single ISO with only one command is not implemented yet.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't been following the wii scene for some weeks, so this fat support is completely new to me.
Very cool, but how exactly does it work? Just put a single iso (trimmed?) on the drive?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: I'm not doing ok, everywhere I go I see sex